British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   passed my driving theory test today (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/passed-my-driving-theory-test-today-191904/)

bussie Nov 19th 2003 7:45 am

passed my driving theory test today

yep my wife and i passed our driving theory tests today i got 29-30 and my wife go 29 as well

as my wife has only held her driving licence for 6 months she has got to show P plates on the car for 1 and a half years

i payed $150 for a 5 year licence and my wife could only get a 1 year licence and had to pay $78

but its done now so thank god for that

bondipom Nov 19th 2003 7:48 am

Re: passed my driving theory test today

Originally posted by bussie
yep my wife and i passed our driving theory tests today i got 29-30 and my wife go 29 as well

as my wife has only held her driving licence for 6 months she has got to show P plates on the car for 1 and a half years

i payed $150 for a 5 year licence and my wife could only get a 1 year licence and had to pay $78

Well done. Were there many gotchas? NSW only offers you a 1 or 3 year license unless you have continously held a full license for at least 5 years.

AussieinLondon Nov 19th 2003 8:42 am

Do you mean to tell me that your British licence isn't valid in Aus and they make you sit a patronising test????

*ashamed once again*

HiddenPaw Nov 19th 2003 8:46 am

Originally posted by AussieinLondon
Do you mean to tell me that your British licence isn't valid in Aus and they make you sit a patronising test????

*ashamed once again*
UK licence is valid but as a permanent resident you should get an Aussie one. You get cheaper car insurance if you've got an Aussie licence as well. Plus the fact that it doubles up as good ID.

AussieinLondon Nov 19th 2003 8:53 am

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
UK licence is valid but as a permanent resident you should get an Aussie one. You get cheaper car insurance if you've got an Aussie licence as well. Plus the fact that it doubles up as good ID.
Interesting. If you do the Aus-UK move, your Aus licence is valid for a while and then you just convert to a British one, no questions asked. There's certainly no test.

debsy Nov 19th 2003 8:56 am

Congratulations

sky Nov 19th 2003 9:22 am

Congratulations have one of these :beer: to celebrate
but not if you thinking of going out in the car for a drive :)

vickymills Nov 19th 2003 12:25 pm

Hello bussie

congrats on the theory, I tired on oneline and only got 24 :-(

Do you have to do the theory and a proper practical test in the car too?

It took me 4 goes to get mine in UK, and I've picked up bad habits in the 11 years since then, maybe I'll take some lessons before we go :-)

I read that you have 3 months to get a Oz licence is that correct?

V

kevpreece Nov 19th 2003 12:32 pm

Originally posted by vickymills
Hello bussie

It took me 4 goes to get mine in UK, and I've picked up bad habits in the 11 years since then, maybe I'll take some lessons before we go :-)

V
hi V,

yeah thats correct, you have 3 months to get a ozzie licence and depending on which state you go, will depend whether you have to sit just a theory exam, like in QLD or a theory and a practical test like in SA.

hope this helps.

kev

TraceyW Nov 19th 2003 12:36 pm

I thought the practical test in SA had been abolished to bring them in line with the rest of Oz. Only the theory test to do... we hope!!

:)

DagBoy Nov 19th 2003 12:38 pm

Originally posted by vickymills
Hello bussie

V
In Qld you no longer have to do the practical test - just the theory. You have three months grace to use your UK licence after you become a permanent resident. I think that rule is for people coming interstate too though I know people ignore it.
At least one PR on here said they still use their UK licence. That is fine till you are involved in an accident and discover that your insurance is invalid because you do not have a valid licence.
There is more info available on the Queensland Transport website

PeteY Nov 19th 2003 12:47 pm

Originally posted by DagBoy
In Qld you no longer have to do the practical test - just the theory. You have three months grace to use your UK licence after you become a permanent resident. I think that rule is for people coming interstate too though I know people ignore it.
At least one PR on here said they still use their UK licence. That is fine till you are involved in an accident and discover that your insurance is invalid because you do not have a valid licence.
There is more info available on the Queensland Transport website
So that means.....as a spouse visa holder, which is provisional resident, i don't have to do a test until i get my PR? Excellent :)

nosuchluck Nov 19th 2003 5:28 pm

Congratulations to you and your wife,
great news,
rach, mark and chanelle
:D

FiFi Nov 19th 2003 5:33 pm

Congrats..

what did you do to prepare for the test ? Can you recommend any books / websites .. I will be sitting WA theory test in January / February

Badge Nov 19th 2003 6:05 pm

get the WA Road Traffic Authority book free off the counter - study it for 10 mins in the office before you take the exam! Similar to ours really.

I passed by applying common sense, and the only ones I got wrong were the "give way" bits - which DO differ in Australia.

hmmm..probably the most important ones, eh? But a pass is a pass...

I got a 1 year Aussie license, in aus, which has now expired : do I just pay another fee to renew it? No more tests, written or practical now I guess?

Badge