Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To party or not to party....that is the question

To party or not to party....that is the question

Old Jun 27th 2003, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Perthbound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To party or not to party....that is the question

To everyone that is off in the near future, how do you plan to say goodbye. Is it with a leaving party, or do you think this will be too emotional, especially for any children involved, and perhaps plan several family/friends meals instead.

Any advice.
Old Jun 27th 2003, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

go on. Have a party we plan to.

I will be hard and we only have a 4 year so can't comment on kids bit really, but I think its meant to be the start of different chapter of life and you should celebrate.

And make it a BIG one give them something to remeber you by at least. The only thing we are not doig is have the family at the airport, we decided it could create to much stress.

James
Old Jun 27th 2003, 2:56 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: To party or not to party....that is the question

Originally posted by Perthbound
To everyone that is off in the near future, how do you plan to say goodbye. Is it with a leaving party, or do you think this will be too emotional, especially for any children involved, and perhaps plan several family/friends meals instead.

Any advice.
We didn't have a leaving party. When we had sat and written down everyone to invite the numbers were enormous (hubby has a large family!) Just said our farewells and had lots of meals out with various groups of friends and family.
Old Jun 27th 2003, 3:18 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Remember the age/ability of the children? 5 and under might enjoy the party (I am not sure of ages) but with my two - good bye party night they did not come to - we had enough tears at the individual evenings. It is your choice and have fun - you are doing what you have wanted for ages, but there maybe people who do not want to share your jubliation.

We also had a trip back all four of us, one year on, so we could say in person - we are doing it and managing it.

It is your family and your choice...but I do go for the low key airport deal...good advice.

Cheers
Old Jun 27th 2003, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so far..........any more for any more.
Old Jun 27th 2003, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can have a party without some tw*t spoiling it, that must be great. I suspect that for the majority, there will always be at least one member of family that is not best pleased with you going and it must sour the atmosphere.

We're planning on just saying private goodbyes.
Old Jun 27th 2003, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

liz and mark is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are off 26th Oct and we are having a party on th 18th.
we had decided not to have one but everybody we bump into have said if we dont see you before we will see you at you party. so now we have booked one. From what we gather everyone is chipping in to pay for it.
This way we can say good bye in one go and who knows when we will get to see some of people again
SO go on have a huge party

:PARTY:
Old Jun 28th 2003, 12:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm leaving on Hallowe'en (broomstick jokes and all that!) My friends and family are in different parts of the country anyway so that makes it easier to say No Party! The guys from work will just have the usual drink down the local (any excuse - they wake up next day wondering who's 'leaving do' it was). I shall have a night out on the town with my best mate and his partner, and as I have 2 weeks between leaving work and flying out, I can spend it with the family.
My sister & brother-in-law say they would like to see me off, so OK, cos they're relatively sensible, and they've supported me all the way, but I've said they can only come to Heathrow if they promise not to tell my parents - certainly don't need them weeping and wailing and telling me what a long way I'm going! tell 'em afterwards, but not before.

As Sundarize said earlier - theres always someone who can spoil a party, so best to try and do lots of separate goodbyes, and then afterwards they can all sit and wonder just WHY it was such a low key departure.
Old Jun 28th 2003, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

I am the opposite, we are hoping to go with a bang, we are having a big party, with a band, buffet and around 160 guests, coming from all over the country, we see it has a last chance to say goodbye to everyone and have a good laugh together, I feel if people are prepared to come from a long way have one.

I'm even having party games to lighten the mood, we are having musical statues for adults and whoever wins, wins a bottle of Moet etc.

My entire Mum and husband, Dad and Partner and sister, Fiance and neice have all decided that they will drive 4 and a half hours to see me off at the airport, which I didn't want but if they are prepared to do it then no problem, Just give me plenty tissues on the flight.

I went to my friends her's was great when she left for Oz and my Aunties last Nov when she went to New Zealand. Both where great not emotional at all more well wishing and cuddles.

I suppose we are lucky that although people don't want us to go they would never say or hold us back, hence no problems.

If you want a party have one,

Old Jun 28th 2003, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Thom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HAVING A PARTY

We have decided to have a "OPEN DAY" when we will invite all freinds and family to join us for a AUSSIE DRINK from 12.00 onwards at our home/Garden.
This gives the elderly relatives a chance to see us in the afternoon and say farewell and the chance to travel home at a reasonable time.And then our friends/family that want to stay later can.
We have requested no one to come to Airport just say goodbyes at home of the In_Laws who are not very pleased we going.
Dont want the children upset when they are looking at going as a big Adventure in there lives.
Hope to be of in the next 6-8 weeks PERTH HERE WE COME AHHHHHHH
Old Jun 28th 2003, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

tezzabart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Perthbound

Any advice.
Hi we are today going to our friends Tori and Ians do,they decided to have there's at a big country park in the afternoon,picnic bbq etc
We are going to have a party at a local pub for the many friends and family and will start on a sat lunchtime,and we plan to have a meal with older rellies if we can fit it all in before we go,hopefully on 19 aug
Good advice on the site was go to airport with just you're selfs so you get on the plane excited not in floods of tears
tezza
Old Jun 28th 2003, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to you all so far.