Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Partner visa, private health insurance?

Partner visa, private health insurance?

Old Jan 31st 2012, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Micro30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Partner visa, private health insurance?

G'day... re-directed here from another forum, hoping somebody might be able to assist with the below!

My partner (from UK) and I (Australian) are currently going through the process of my sponsoring her on a partner temporary visa (subclass 820) – application has been in with DIMIA for ~2 months. With us looking to start a family in a couple of years we are considering options for private health insurance (given most have a 12 month waiting period for obstetrics cover).

Ideally we would like to have a family policy that we can take out once the partner visa comes through (hopefully around ~August 2012) however the partner visa is temporary for 2 years prior to being considered for a permanent visa.

My partner is currently in Australia on a 457 visa, and has a Medicare card under reciprocal health care arrangement from UK.

Does anybody here have any experience in a similar situation and found private health insurers that provide family cover to a spouse that is on a partner temporary visa? Have a few queries in with different insurers and waiting on responses.

Cheers
Old Jan 31st 2012, 3:21 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner visa, private health insurance?

Originally Posted by Micro30
G'day... re-directed here from another forum, hoping somebody might be able to assist with the below!

My partner (from UK) and I (Australian) are currently going through the process of my sponsoring her on a partner temporary visa (subclass 820) – application has been in with DIMIA for ~2 months. With us looking to start a family in a couple of years we are considering options for private health insurance (given most have a 12 month waiting period for obstetrics cover).

Ideally we would like to have a family policy that we can take out once the partner visa comes through (hopefully around ~August 2012) however the partner visa is temporary for 2 years prior to being considered for a permanent visa.

My partner is currently in Australia on a 457 visa, and has a Medicare card under reciprocal health care arrangement from UK.

Does anybody here have any experience in a similar situation and found private health insurers that provide family cover to a spouse that is on a partner temporary visa? Have a few queries in with different insurers and waiting on responses.

Cheers
I can't actually answer your main question but one thing occurs to me is that your partner may be eligible for a Medicare card rather than just the Reciprocal Health care card. Your situation may be different because she was on a 457 but in general terms once you have applied for a partner visa you then qualify for the temporary Medicare card which gives you full benefits but just has to be renewed periodically until PR is obtained. It might be worth checking that out with medicare. I was initially told no, but challenged them and was told to provide proof that the application had been submitted and once that was done I was good to go!

As I said, sorry it's not a proper answer, but I thought the info might be helpful.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:45 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
In a word, our experience is no. I had HBA/BUPA cover which through company benefits my partner was entitled to. She had to go on to overseas visit cover and much higher cost until PR. It also did not provide immunity from MSL which they (the ATO) caught up on us with a couple of years later at not inconsiderable cost.

Either wait 3 years or go with Medicare (like a huge number of people do)
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Micro30 is an unknown quantity at this point

For anybody who happens to research this later - 3 out of the 3 private health insurers I contacted said that anybody on a partner temporary visa (subclass 820) is eligible for domestic health insurance products (either solo or family) AS LONG AS that person is holding a blue or green Medicare card (ie. NOT one of the yellow reciprocal health care Medicare cards).

Info straight from DIAC is that a partner temporary visa (subclass 820) allows the holder to enrol in Medicare.

Question answered, thanks for your assistance

Cheers
Old Feb 4th 2012, 5:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

For anybody who happens to research this later - 3 out of the 3 private health insurers I contacted said that anybody on a partner temporary visa (subclass 820) is eligible for domestic health insurance products (either solo or family) AS LONG AS that person is holding a blue or green Medicare card (ie. NOT one of the yellow reciprocal health care Medicare cards).

Info straight from DIAC is that a partner temporary visa (subclass 820) allows the holder to enrol in Medicare.
She can enrol in Medicare now, based on her application for a 820/801 visa. Are you are of the 12 month period to take out health insurance without paying the Lifetime Health Cover loading (if aged 31 or more)?

Separately - is there an option for her to get permanent residence before the 2+ year period on the 820 visa is up:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...Visa-Australia