partner visa

Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:35 am
Just Joined

scooter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default partner visa

hi.
first post on this forum.reading all the info on the australian immigration website regarding getting a visa as a partner of an australian citizen i have a couple of questions.
1.where it says that you have to wait two years on an Extended Eligibility Temporary Visa before applying for residence
a. what is an Extended Eligibility Temporary Visa.
b. if you are then granted residence does that mean you then have austalian citizenship?

2.because i have lived with my partner for longer than five years there seems to be a waiving of the requirement to wait 2 years
ie "In some circumstances, there will be no necessity to wait the 2 year period before applying for permanent residence:

if you have been in the relationship with your spouse for five years or more at the time of application"

so basically how long would it take for residence to be granted if less than 2 years?

hope the above makes sense thanks in advance for any replies.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: partner visa

If you have been together longer than five years, are married or have children, then you will probably be granted a permanent resident visa. After two years (they are possibly going to make this 3 years) as a permanent resident then you can apply to become an Australian Citizen.

Hope this helps,

S
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
If you have been together longer than five years, are married or have children, then you will probably be granted a permanent resident visa. After two years (they are possibly going to make this 3 years) as a permanent resident then you can apply to become an Australian Citizen.

Hope this helps,

S
thanks for your quick reply

what is permanent residence? does that mean you can live in australian for as long as you like or could they kick you out if say me and my partner split up?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scooter1
thanks for your quick reply

what is permanent residence? does that mean you can live in australian for as long as you like or could they kick you out if say me and my partner split up?
Once you have permanent residence you can stay in Australia as long as you like, even if you are no longer with your partner.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Once you have permanent residence you can stay in Australia as long as you like, even if you are no longer with your partner.
Because i would be applying for a partner visa from the uk, if i was granted permanent residence straight away, do you then have to visit or move to australia within a certain time frame?.Could i for instance after being granted residence have a holiday in australia then return to the uk until such time as i was ready to permanently move there. Or am i getting all mixed up.