Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Partner Migration To Australia??

Wikiposts

Partner Migration To Australia??

Old May 29th 2003, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Jase420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Partner Migration To Australia??

Hi Everyone, what a great website! Hopefully one of you out there can steer me in the right direction…

I’m British and my girlfriend (of nearly a year) is Australian. We’re planning on leaving the UK this summer, doing some travelling, and getting to Oz around the end of the year. I have a one year working holiday visa (managed to slip it in there just before I turned 30!). I want to propose to her this Xmas when we get to Oz with a view to getting married in Thailand (assuming she says yes) the following November. We want to settle in Australia and don’t really want to have to come back to England for any great length of time ie. we’d like to get it sorted from Australia.

My question is… what migration visa should I apply for and when should I apply? There seems to be 3 types, the spouse one (where you’re already married), the fiancé one (when you’re already engaged but can only apply for this from outside of Australia), and the interdependent one (where you live together but aren’t married?). Since we’ll be married a month before my one year visa runs out next December should I simply apply once married and if so will they grant a temporary visa to stay in Oz while it is being processed? Is this the best approach? What else could/should we be considering?

Thank you all for any tips/advice you can send my way.
J.
Old May 29th 2003, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure people on this site will give you some accurate advice on this. But I would of thought that as a rule the sooner you apply the better (unless of course your gonna scare the bride to be off with such big decisions - wouldn't wanna do that with a whole life in the sun potentially riding on it).

Also isn't thier limitations on the type of work you can do on working holiday visas??

I guess one important point would be whether you have been living together and can demonstrate the seriousness of relationship to date.

I'm Australian and my partner of 10 years is british and she and our son are applying under the interdependant catorgory. She has an interview tomorrow for the visa under a front end loaded process, which has only taken 3 months and we can get the visa tomorrow all being well.

Hope this helps in some way but I'm sure others will be more specific for you.

James
Old May 29th 2003, 3:40 am
Just Joined

Jase420 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by james & bev
I'm sure people on this site will give you some accurate advice on this. But I would of thought that as a rule the sooner you apply the better (unless of course your gonna scare the bride to be off with such big decisions - wouldn't wanna do that with a whole life in the sun potentially riding on it).

Also isn't thier limitations on the type of work you can do on working holiday visas??

I guess one important point would be whether you have been living together and can demonstrate the seriousness of relationship to date.

I'm Australian and my partner of 10 years is british and she and our son are applying under the interdependant catorgory. She has an interview tomorrow for the visa under a front end loaded process, which has only taken 3 months and we can get the visa tomorrow all being well.

Hope this helps in some way but I'm sure others will be more specific for you.

James

Cheers James! The reason i can't apply now is because we set off travelling in a few weeks. I know the working holiday visa limits the type of work I can do but I've just sold my flat in London so don't plan on doing any serious work for a while.
I can't apply for the finace category because i'll be in Oz once we're engaged and you have to apply from outside. Will look at other options.
Thanks again.
Jase.
Old May 29th 2003, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future
Default Re: Partner Migration To Australia??

Originally posted by Jase420
Hi Everyone, what a great website! Hopefully one of you out there can steer me in the right direction…

I’m British and my girlfriend (of nearly a year) is Australian. We’re planning on leaving the UK this summer, doing some travelling, and getting to Oz around the end of the year. I have a one year working holiday visa (managed to slip it in there just before I turned 30!). I want to propose to her this Xmas when we get to Oz with a view to getting married in Thailand (assuming she says yes) the following November. We want to settle in Australia and don’t really want to have to come back to England for any great length of time ie. we’d like to get it sorted from Australia.

My question is… what migration visa should I apply for and when should I apply? There seems to be 3 types, the spouse one (where you’re already married), the fiancé one (when you’re already engaged but can only apply for this from outside of Australia), and the interdependent one (where you live together but aren’t married?). Since we’ll be married a month before my one year visa runs out next December should I simply apply once married and if so will they grant a temporary visa to stay in Oz while it is being processed? Is this the best approach? What else could/should we be considering?

Thank you all for any tips/advice you can send my way.
J.
I have a mate who after doing his WHV year got sponsered by his company. After 6 months they made him redundant. He then got engaged to his Aussie girlfriend, employed a lawyer got a fiance visa and got married 6 months later.

As long as that's what you both want to do then you have no probs!!

Pete