Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Part time work in Sydney - north shore

Part time work in Sydney - north shore

Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future
Default Part time work in Sydney - north shore

Now that I have the children in school I would love to be able to work part time. I am busy putting my CV together and would love some help regarding the best way to find work. Newspapers? Agencies? etc.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Part time work in Sydney - north shore

Originally Posted by Pisces
Now that I have the children in school I would love to be able to work part time. I am busy putting my CV together and would love some help regarding the best way to find work. Newspapers? Agencies? etc.
www.seek.com.au or www.mycareer.com.au or www.careerone.com.au

You will likely find a lot of agencies will advertise on these sites and if you apply for roles on there, you will be invited to come in to register just because they want to get you on their books. Last time I was looking for work I registered with 10, yes 10, agencies and frankly most of them were absolute pants and I never heard from them again. I've usually found applying directly for jobs the best way, and 9 times out of 10 got the job.

Local paper is another avenue. It's also worth approaching local companies directly, you just never know .. they may be about to employ someone and you'd save them the hassle of advertising!

What does your partner do (if you have one)? It's worth putting the word out amongst your friends and partner's colleagues etc, that you're looking. Networking is huge here and who you know will be a definite bonus.

Part-time work, in my experience is quite hard to come by and very competitive (all the mums want part time) but given the candidate shortage in the market at present, you're in a much stronger position.

Good luck!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

clan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pisces
Not sure which part of the North shore you are in, but I think the north shore times
has a section for jobs. Similarly, the Manly Daily (if you can get a copy) has loads of vacancies for all sorts
and covers from Manly up through the Northern Beaches.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

Thanks for the advice. Will try and get my hands on the papers. Dont like agencies very much!