Reload this Page >

Part packing your furniture

Part packing your furniture

Old Jan 30th 2005, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough
Default Part packing your furniture

Hi,

I'm just starting to get quotes from shippers at the minute but I have a question for people who have already shipped furniture.

We have sold our house and renting at the minute, which means that we have a fair bit of stuff that we haven't taken out of boxes. I wondered how this affected shippers quotes.

I had one around the other day and I asked him if we added more furniture would it cost any more as long as it still fits into a 20' container and he said that it would cost more to pack so the price would be different. To be honest, I hadn't thought of that but it seems if they miss items or items are not on the itinery they send you then you could end up paying more for the packers time and materials even though you have received a quote. I also mentioned to him that I didn't see any point in something being packed in a box and then one of the packers taking it out and then re-packing it and also charging me to do that.

What are people's experiences with part packing your own furniture. I know there could be an issue with insurance but what else?

Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default Re: Part packing your furniture

We're in the middle of the shipping quote thing as well. I have been the distinct impression that if Australian Customs and Excise understand that the shipper did not pack everything then it is a dead cert that they'll open up some of the boxes for inspection...and charge you for the privilege.

Anyone out there in Australia concur or disagree with this view?

Neil
Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Part packing your furniture

Originally Posted by wongstonn
We're in the middle of the shipping quote thing as well. I have been the distinct impression that if Australian Customs and Excise understand that the shipper did not pack everything then it is a dead cert that they'll open up some of the boxes for inspection...and charge you for the privilege.

Anyone out there in Australia concur or disagree with this view?

Neil

Yeah, the shipper did mention that, but he also said that if we didn't seal the box but left an itinery with it then they would check it and seal the box.