Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which part of Australia to choose?!

Which part of Australia to choose?!

Old May 24th 2013, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Melody87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which part of Australia to choose?!

Hi everyone,

I'm really at a loss as to which part of Oz would suit me and my other half best so I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable people might be able to advise

I'm and accountant and my partner is a mechanic/car body repair and painter, we're keen on the idea of starting a classic car repair and paint shop once settled (if that is something the Aussies would be interested in). We are both massively in to classic cars and like forests, beaches, mountain biking and are pretty adventurous.

The middle of a city certainly doesn't hold any appeal but I imagine that will be where all the jobs are we also can't be too far!

We have a Rough Collie so it can't be north Australia or we'd never be able to walk him during the day due to the heat.

I quite fancy Tasmania as the Targa Tasmania holds a lot of appeal but it is always possible to travel so where else would you guys n gals suggest?

Thanks
Mel
Old May 24th 2013, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which part of Australia to choose?!

Melbourne for culture , (convenient for Tasmania) Sydney for fun , Brisbane--and Qld generally - for nothing , Perth'd be to hot for the hound from what you say about the territory and the employment rate in Tasmania is not that flash , Adelaide--weather can be very hot and changeable don't realy know much else never worked there..

Nowhere in any Australian main state/territory city is that far from the countryside and beaches (Except Canberra for beaches) are a mostly given unless you choose a suburb that is inland even then you're not talking a huge trip to get to the nearest.

I wouldn't , personally , go anywhere in the country in any country to settle in the first instance unless it was work related, but then again I'm not a country lover.

There's plenty of threads that are specifics related regarding Aus --which I'm sure you are finding/have found.

All the best

Last edited by BASHO; May 24th 2013 at 9:19 pm.
Old May 24th 2013, 9:23 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Which part of Australia to choose?!

Originally Posted by Melody87
I'm and accountant and my partner is a mechanic/car body repair and painter, We are both massively in to classic cars
Your best chance of income is clearly a big city, and Melbourne and Sydney are the biggest by far.

I don't know about Sydney, but here in Melbourne there are a LOT of classic cars, of English, Australian and American flavours. It's a fantastic site to see most Sundays when there's a large group of 1950s massive American cars out on the roads!

One of the great things about Australia is that the country is so easily accessible from the cities, 30 mins from Melbourne and you can be somewhere that feels like its out in the bush. The beaches are fantastic and so accessible from suburban Melbourne. Suburban Sydney also has great beaches.

BB
Old May 24th 2013, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

So you think we don't have long coated breeds of dogs here? Your dog will adapt - and there are air conditioners... There is a severe shortage of panel beaters ( car repair/painters) in Perth and a large number of classic car owners. I am actually attending a Classic Car Rally (Round-The-Houses) run by the Vintage Sports Car Club (VSCCWA) next weekend in Albany WA. I have no idea what the work situation is like in Albany, but it has a cooler climate than Perth and is very rural, fitting your likes.

http://www.vsccwa.com.au/cms/index.p...-and-hillclimb

You could always email the VSCC to see what their thoughts are.
Old May 24th 2013, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont go to CQ, its just full of......... well you have to be here to believe it....
Old May 24th 2013, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

curlytops is on a distinguished road

Mel, I live in Tas, as beautiful as it is job opportunities are terrible. If your hubby want his own restoration business then he'll need to be in a catchment area where there are more people, with money to spend. That isn't Tasmania. Areas around Melbourne or Sydney are a much better option. Perth people have the cash to spend, though when I lived there I definitely didn't see as many classic cars there than I do when I go to victoria. I have a working dog too, trying to get a decent place to go for a walk was a bit of a nightmare in WA, as a lot of bush areas are baited for foxes. It can also get stinking hot.
Old May 25th 2013, 12:02 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BASHO
Melbourne for culture , (convenient for Tasmania) Sydney for fun , Brisbane--and Qld generally - for nothing , Perth'd be to hot for the hound from what you say about the territory and the employment rate in Tasmania is not that flash , Adelaide--weather can be very hot and changeable don't realy know much else never worked there..

Nowhere in any Australian main state/territory city is that far from the countryside and beaches (Except Canberra for beaches) are a mostly given unless you choose a suburb that is inland even then you're not talking a huge trip to get to the nearest.

I wouldn't , personally , go anywhere in the country in any country to settle in the first instance unless it was work related, but then again I'm not a country lover.

There's plenty of threads that are specifics related regarding Aus --which I'm sure you are finding/have found.

All the best
Nothing rocks!
Old May 25th 2013, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Umm. Not SOR there aren't... My OH place just laid a painter and a panel beater off....

The insurance companies are squeezing the life blood out of the industry, like they did in the uk a decade ago.
Old May 25th 2013, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by eddie007
Umm. Not SOR there aren't... My OH place just laid a painter and a panel beater off....

The insurance companies are squeezing the life blood out of the industry, like they did in the uk a decade ago.
Interesting eddie. I recently spoke to a friend who is significantly involved in the car industry (albeit north but still metro) who advised his co was going to set up their own panel and paint shop but gave up on the idea as they couldn't get decent panelbeaters....
Old May 25th 2013, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackieh23
Interesting eddie. I recently spoke to a friend who is significantly involved in the car industry (albeit north but still metro) who advised his co was going to set up their own panel and paint shop but gave up on the idea as they couldn't get decent panelbeaters....
No one in their right mind would travel NOR from this direction....

The trade lost skilled workers to mines and aren't getting quality workmanship out of their newly qualified tradies... It's a dying industry... That and the lack of money in it.

My OH has been in the trade for over 30 years, both in the uk and here... Luckily for him he is happy where he is... If he wasn't he would be getting out of it... The money is Shite
Old May 25th 2013, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Go where you can get a job. TBH I don't think there is anywhere that is going to tick all your boxes at the same time so start by applying for all jobs, seeing what you get offered then choosing between them.
Old May 25th 2013, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Melody87
Hi everyone,

we're keen on the idea of starting a classic car repair and paint shop once settled (if that is something the Aussies would be interested in).

Thanks
Mel
Kerching! People pay silly money here for classic resprays (you will need to learn about aussie classics) $10,000 for a respray, even if the customer has taking it down to a rolling shell, is quite common.
Old May 25th 2013, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Melody87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow thanks for all the replies. Good to hear there is a good classic car following too! The outskirts of Melbourne are sounding good but your right we need to have a good look round for jobs first.

Impressed with the cost of a respray! Only 3000 here! It will depend on being able to get a loan to pay for set up as all the gear cost a fortune but I think it would be worth it
Old May 25th 2013, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Nothing rocks!
Old May 25th 2013, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Nothing rocks!

Yes indeed! Since the search is broken.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.