Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Part of aussie culture? I hope not!

Wikiposts

Part of aussie culture? I hope not!

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of
Default Re: Part of aussie culture? I hope not!

Originally Posted by Ceri
cough cough ,now this is a really rich one when I'm looking straight at your signature LOL ! Destination Brisbane Accommodation - Short-term rental available in Brisbane. http://home.pacific.net.au/~remok/

Now who's talking about sucking as much money out of things?? Nice to advertise a rental business here? How convenient is that for that business when there is a handy expat forum filled with people looking for rentals . nah don't tell me you gain nothing from it lol.

I didn't think advertising things such as that was allowed here on these forums, or are you paying for that?

We have brought jobs into the country, or are you too silly to realise this. Please don't answer this
Fishing does not really even warrant an answer dear, if you are using too light line , you are tyring the fish out longer instead of boating it after a few minutes , and realising the non knackered thing ( gawd I sound like you now, with the pettiness of this argument)

"G'day" I certainly don't think I need to apologise to you over a passport under a table leg .. LOL ! ( who do you think you are ?? A pretend Aussie who has not been in the country for more than 5 minutes? who's silly comments regarding the certain ethnic races) and the rest of the same old names "couldn't wait to seize the opportunity mob " ( or do you live such shallow lives? ) you attacked me when I was answering a question on the original topic, about the treatment of sheep .. sigh

If you feel it is offensive I have the Aussie passport under a table leg,let me put a picture of the ugly Queen and her family under the other lol.

Get real will you love, Not offending any of the Aussie here in the office. I do think some of you really need to grow a sense of humour, and get out more into the wonderful world.

You may also want to look beneath some of the shiny surfaces at some of the convenient advertising going on. The saying ,you get nothing for free, Wake up
Cheers to both of you
"We have brought jobs into the country" so what? There are many people on this forum, including myself, who brought jobs into the country and skills too, who do you think you are?

You were not replying to the tread about sheep when you got into bashing Aus and you DID offend me about the passport and I do not think the issue of how long I've been in the country or not is relevant in this instance. Nor do I care about whether or not you are offending Aussies in the office or not. With your level of sensitivity you probably wouldn't even notice. So get this - I found it offensive!

As for putting the Queen under the table leg (I'll probably offend someone here so apologies in advance) you can put her and her whole boring family there for all I care.

Last edited by G'Day; Feb 3rd 2005 at 6:14 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:46 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G'Day
"We have brought jobs into the country" so what? There are many people on this forum, including myself, who brought jobs into the country and skills too, who do you think you are?

You were not replying to the tread about sheep when you got into bashing Aus and you DID offend me about the passport and I do not think the issue of how long I've been in the country or not is relevant in this instance. Nor do I care about whether or not you are offending Aussies in the office or not. With your level of sensitivity you probably wouldn't even notice. So get this - I found it offensive!

As for putting the Queen under the table leg (I'll probably offend someone here so apologies in advance) you can put her and her whole boring family there for all I care.
Ceri is a rabid Welsh nationalist so Queenie abuse would be welcome. I am a republican so you can say what you want about your head of state whose popularity is increasing. Quite bizarre Aussies would prefer an inbred foreigner to one of their own.

Why take offence at a booklet that bureacracies decide let us in at arbritrary border controls?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:53 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I do not have a problem with Ceri being a passionate supporter of animal rights, or airing her views here about whether or not the way sheep are treated is right or wrong - I do see a level of hypocrisy in the fishing thing. It really does not matter whether you play a fish on light line and get it into the boat or haul it into the boat quickly on heavy line - at the end of the day, the fish is in the boat - somewhere it would not have chosen to be but had to go because of a hook through the mouth. To be prepared to do that but then to play the animal rights card in the sheep argument could be seen as hypocritical. Besides which, MrsD has probably been fishing since before Ceri was born so I think she might know a bit more about it.

Also, the whole sheep argument is not as simple as it seems. I do not claim to be an expert on sheep, but as I understand it mulesing is performed to prevent fly strike, so the option is give the sheep pain, once or leave it and let nature take its course and let the sheep become maggot infested and suffer pain several times. To my view, to knowingly do nothing and put the sheep through that would be more cruel that the prevention. How many people on here put their children through the pain of injections so as to reduce the risk of serious illness/death later?

The other argument with respect to the sheep was that they are unsuited to this climate and should not be here - the same could be said of European settlers, but it is impractical to get rid of either

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:20 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bondipom
I am a republican so you can say what you want about your head of state whose popularity is increasing. Quite bizarre Aussies would prefer an inbred foreigner to one of their own.
Governer General of the Commonwealth of Australia

Previous Governors-General

Gradually weeding out the POMpous.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Quite bizarre Aussies would prefer an inbred foreigner to one of their own.
Too damn right.

Oz should elect one of its own inbreds.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:53 am
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough

Just going back to the original topic (!)
I can understand why the sheeps "bits" should be chopped off to prevent the worse fate of the maggots BUT why can't this be done humanely i.e with an anaesthetic???

In my opinion in any area of life (on any country in the world) where humans make money from using animals the animals ALWAYS suffer...it is sad that humans abuse their power over animals - we are supposed to be the most intelligent species but some of the things we do makes me think otherwise!
Just my two penneth!

Carole
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:59 am
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Ceri]cough cough ,now this is a really rich one when I'm looking straight at your signature LOL ! Destination Brisbane Accommodation - Short-term rental available in Brisbane. http://home.pacific.net.au/~remok/

Now who's talking about sucking as much money out of things?? Nice to advertise a rental business here? How convenient is that for that business when there is a handy expat forum filled with people looking for rentals . nah don't tell me you gain nothing from it lol.

I didn't think advertising things such as that was allowed here on these forums, or are you paying for that?

QUOTE]

MrsDagboy should answer this question. It seems totally immoral to advertise a profit making rental venture on a wannabee ex pats site. Especially as MrsDagboy is notorious for only posting shiny, positive spin on Oz, in particular Brisbane.

If this advertising is permitted (which I hope it is not) I feel sorry for the pom suckers out there that believe the bull spouted by MrsDB and her cronies. I feel even more sorry for them when all they have left is an empty bank account and broken dreams of a Utopia that exists only in the minds of the deluded and in posts made by the Fagan characters who profit from the big lie.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:01 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cagandchris
Just going back to the original topic (!)
I can understand why the sheeps "bits" should be chopped off to prevent the worse fate of the maggots BUT why can't this be done humanely i.e with an anaesthetic???

Probably because some would say using anaesthetic on, in some cases, millions of sheep is not practical and from what I understand, they are at a high risk of the anaesthetic killing them.

My sisters inlaws are farmers with sheep. I have seen some horrible things that happen to the sheep and thats not caused by humans, usually other animals. Crows pecking lambs eyes out, foxes goring them to death & even other sheep killing other sheep.

I guess it just depends on which perspective you are looking at the situation from....
Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by eatstatic

MrsDagboy should answer this question. It seems totally immoral to advertise a profit making rental venture on a wannabee ex pats site. Especially as MrsDagboy is notorious for only posting shiny, positive spin on Oz, in particular Brisbane.

If this advertising is permitted (which I hope it is not) I feel sorry for the pom suckers out there that believe the bull spouted by MrsDB and her cronies. I feel even more sorry for them when all they have left is an empty bank account and broken dreams of a Utopia that exists only in the minds of the deluded and in posts made by the Fagan characters who profit from the big lie.

You just crack me up!!!!

Laughable....just laughable....
Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:07 am
Loving life in Brissie

In my view it shouldn't matter about practicality its about what is humane....don't know whether anaesthetic kills sheep though!!!

.... even if it was a local anaesthetic it might help a bit....don't know about the technicalities just don't think animals should suffer for man to make ££££ or $$$$!!!

Animals don't know better .... we (supposedly) do ..that's exactly my point!!

Originally Posted by Hels
Probably because some would say using anaesthetic on, in some cases, millions of sheep is not practical and from what I understand, they are at a high risk of the anaesthetic killing them.

My sisters inlaws are farmers with sheep. I have seen some horrible things that happen to the sheep and thats not caused by humans, usually other animals. Crows pecking lambs eyes out, foxes goring them to death & even other sheep killing other sheep.

I guess it just depends on which perspective you are looking at the situation from....
Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:09 am
Loving life in Brissie

Am thinking about this now....

if they are individually snipping the bits of the sheep.... couldn't they just rub a bit of local anaesthetic on first?

Just a thought!!!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cagandchris
In my view it shouldn't matter about practicality its about what is humane....don't know whether anaesthetic kills sheep though!!!

.... even if it was a local anaesthetic it might help a bit....don't know about the technicalities just don't think animals should suffer for man to make ££££ or $$$$!!!

Animals don't know better .... we (supposedly) do ..that's exactly my point!!

But, if you asked a farmer, he would tell you he isnt doing it because he is making money off them. Its for their benefit they do it...

Like I said, its perspective I guess....
Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:15 am
Account Closed

Just to add,

I am not saying that I necessarily agree with the procedure, but I understand the perspective...
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=eatstatic]
Originally Posted by Ceri
cough cough ,now this is a really rich one when I'm looking straight at your signature LOL ! Destination Brisbane Accommodation - Short-term rental available in Brisbane. http://home.pacific.net.au/~remok/

QUOTE]

Someowe said this post was laughable Sorry but I as an aussie a business owner I dont see that.

I think the forum rules say no advertising, if its allowed there are hundreds on here who could advertise business that would profit from poms, suppose I stuck up a link to my house building business does anyone think my answers would be quite as candid

So are we allowed to advertise or not?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Someowe said this post was laughable Sorry but I as an aussie a business owner I dont see that.

I think the forum rules say no advertising, if its allowed there are hundreds on here who could advertise business that would profit from poms, suppose I stuck up a link to my house building business does anyone think my answers would be quite as candid

So are we allowed to advertise or not?
A single one liner and a link in a signature is fine (using the default small text).
However, the following exceptions apply:
  1. anthing illegal (in the US).
  2. anything that directly competes with or could cause a negative impact to this site.
  3. anything that is deemed innapropriate by the moderators.

No pictures, no big fonts, no bright red, pink fonts etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.