Wikiposts

Parochialism

Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:07 pm
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
Maybe us Poms are worse!!

Despite Brummie appeals the North is north of the Watford Gap.
lol.....I dont know anyone from Brum who wears flat caps, breeds wippits, eats faggots & mushy peas daily and still settles down in front of a coal fire saying, "Eeeee by gum.......it's grim up north!!"
:lecture:

Watford gap my @rse!
LOL
Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:14 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BrisbaneBrummie
lol.....I dont know anyone from Brum who wears flat caps, breeds wippits, eats faggots & mushy peas daily and still settles down in front of a coal fire saying, "Eeeee by gum.......it's grim up north!!"
:lecture:

Watford gap my @rse!
LOL

Coming from Newcastle, I always thought of Birmingham as the South, as was anything else south of the Tyne
Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:30 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
Coming from Newcastle, I always thought of Birmingham as the South, as was anything else south of the Tyne
LOL
So Mancunians are now southerners and Brummies are northerners.

Old Oct 7th 2003, 6:41 pm
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL
So Mancunians are now southerners and Brummies are northerners.

ROFLOL!!!!!!!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 8:06 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyones dad work down'pit, afta walkin 4 mile t' work, doin a 15 hour shift, then walks back 'ome int snow? We no shoes on?
poachin rabitts on 'is way 'ome cos there aint no snap int larda!Oh no, i forgot, them pits is all shut no, you can find me Dad in't park club playin bingo and smokin tabs!
(ps my family are from up north and did work down the pits a very long time ago!!! )
Old Oct 7th 2003, 8:45 pm
tennisoz

Maybe us Poms are worse!!

Despite Brummie appeals the North is north of the Watford Gap.
BP

Interesting that you started a thread on Australian parochialism, bemoaning how people regard differently those living sometimes thousands of miles away and the press don't report it etc and it descends into English parochialism. I find it hard to understand how people living a comparative stone's throw apart pick on their differences (north of the Watford Gap is north indeed).

In my naievity I once made the mistake of asking someone from Sunderland if they came from Newcastle - almost to my physical detriment! Then there was the time a work colleague asked me 'how's it going Aussie' to which I replied 'how's it going Irishman'. After telling me forcefully he was an Ulsterman I got a one hour history lecture. As someone pointed out you need to understand the separate colonies in Oz before Federation to see why there is this parochialism.

I laugh in Scotland when they do the weather on the BBC National News and they say the north of the country will have this, that or the other and Scotland and Northern Ireland will have this, that or the other. I am amazed how much parochialism there is in such a small country that would fit inside Victoria.

I am sure you get parochialism in every country in the world. People like to find differences - it's how you handle that difference.

One thing I chuckle at still is Fletcher to Mackay in Porridge - "I used to think I am working class but I went to Glasgow and now I think I am middle class"! Not relevant but just thought of it.

TennisOz

Old Oct 7th 2003, 8:49 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Im a suppressed aussie...GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!
very funny thread...

What do you call a sophisticated Australian?

A NewZealander

sue
(by eck its a bit parky today)
Old Oct 7th 2003, 8:55 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tennisoz
I am sure you get parochialism in every country in the world. People like to find differences - it's how you handle that difference.

TennisOz

I find it hilarious the way yorkshire people are portrayed, and I laugh along with everyone, even if people take the p### out of my accent; why not, it IS a funny dialect! To say Robert Carlisle is scottish, I think he got the sheffield accent in the full monty down to a tee! but saying that I do know some sheffielders who get very offended by the micky taking - its like you say TennisOz, its how you handle it!
laugh and the world laughs with you....
Old Oct 7th 2003, 8:56 pm

Originally posted by tennisoz
BP

Interesting that you started a thread on Australian parochialism, bemoaning how people regard differently those living sometimes thousands of miles away and the press don't report it etc and it descends into English parochialism. I find it hard to understand how people living a comparative stone's throw apart pick on their differences (north of the Watford Gap is north indeed).

In my naievity I once made the mistake of asking someone from Sunderland if they came from Newcastle - almost to my physical detriment! Then there was the time a work colleague asked me 'how's it going Aussie' to which I replied 'how's it going Irishman'. After telling me forcefully he was an Ulsterman I got a one hour history lecture. As someone pointed out you need to understand the separate colonies in Oz before Federation to see why there is this parochialism.

I laugh in Scotland when they do the weather on the BBC National News and they say the north of the country will have this, that or the other and Scotland and Northern Ireland will have this, that or the other. I am amazed how much parochialism there is in such a small country that would fit inside Victoria.

One thing I chuckle at still is Fletcher to Mackay in Porridge - "I used to think I am working class but I went to Glasgow and now I think I am middle class"! Not relevant but just thought of it.

TennisOz
I agree. After this discussion I think the UK maybe worse.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:26 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
Im a suppressed aussie...GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!
very funny thread...

What do you call a sophisticated Australian?

A NewZealander

sue
(by eck its a bit parky today)
Or how about a double backhander. A Danish friend of mine says that the Danes call Norwegians Swedes with half a brain!

TennisOz

Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:33 pm

On the road to Auckland airport there is a giant advertising hoarding for a courier saying:

We take Australia Seriously. Well someone has to!