Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

parking tickets in nsw

parking tickets in nsw

Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

ozoz will become famous soon enoughozoz will become famous soon enough
Default parking tickets in nsw

I have a question if anyone can help i was fined excessively for parking about 2 and half metres away from an intersection there was no parking signs in place. My question is i refuse to pay this fine fullstop what are my chances when taking the state debt recovery to court has anyone done this if so some advice please.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:43 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: parking tickets in nsw

Originally Posted by ozoz
I have a question if anyone can help i was fined excessively for parking about 2 and half metres away from an intersection there was no parking signs in place. My question is i refuse to pay this fine fullstop what are my chances when taking the state debt recovery to court has anyone done this if so some advice please.
I don't rate your chances of success.

Originally Posted by Road Rules for NSW

Stopping in or near an intersection

You must not stop or park in an intersection.

You must not stop or park on a road within 20 metres from the nearest point of an intersecting road at an intersection with traffic lights, unless you stop or park at a place on a length of road, or in an area, to which a parking control sign permitting stopping applies.

You must not stop or park on a road within 10 metres from the nearest point of an intersecting road at an intersection without traffic lights, unless you stop or park at a place on a length of road, or in an area, to which a parking control sign permitting stopping applies or if the intersection is a T-intersection along the continuous side of the continuing road at the intersection.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

This road was a quiet street no parking signs i was 2 and half metres away from the one way road turn off a t intersection. The fine was 185 dollars it was not hindering any traffic at all it was a quiet street im all for organised parking but its justa revenue maker no more
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:52 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree with the above poster. If you park within 10m of an intersection where there isnt a sign saying you can, you parked illegally. You parked 2.5m away ergo a ticket.

Interesting though since QLD has now abolished the need for migrants to take a theory test and I think no other state requires it anymore, how many migrants simply change over the licence without even being aware of the basic rules of the road.

Ignorance is of course no excuse sadly.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

ignorance is no excuse - i think your on different planet its nothing more than legal robbery,
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Centurion
I'd agree with the above poster. If you park within 10m of an intersection where there isnt a sign saying you can, you parked illegally. You parked 2.5m away ergo a ticket.

Interesting though since QLD has now abolished the need for migrants to take a theory test and I think no other state requires it anymore, how many migrants simply change over the licence without even being aware of the basic rules of the road.

Ignorance is of course no excuse sadly.
I agree on the rules thing. When they removed the theory test in Vic, I could see a problem with people not knowing what to do around trams.

Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozoz
ignorance is no excuse - i think your on different planet its nothing more than legal robbery,
No it's not. It's a voluntary tax.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

The rule about the legal parking distance from intersections exists in most if not all Australian states.

Why should you be exempt from the law?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:21 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
The rule about the legal parking distance from intersections exists in most if not all Australian states.

Why should you be exempt from the law?
It's exactly the same in the UK as well isn't it? 2.5m from an intersection = dodgy place to park = ticket. Sorry.

Graham