Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Parking outside your house

Parking outside your house

Old Sep 6th 2006, 3:17 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Default Parking outside your house

Hi all, weve put an offer in for a house but was just wondering if theres any laws with regards parking outside your own house on the road? we will have a drive large enough for 2 cars, however we have 3. Just wondered as you dont really see people parking outside there own home, hope this is to stupid a question
Old Sep 6th 2006, 3:30 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all
Default Re: Parking outside your house

Hi there,

Parntner and I commented on the same thing the other day.

I think that when people build homes here, they always incorporate a driveway or garage, so there's no need to park on the road.

We do however park on the road, just check there are no signs to say that you can't.

Are you enjoying Perth, where abouts are you? I'm in Fremantle and loving it.

Claire
Old Sep 6th 2006, 3:38 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Most people around us seem to have a couple of cars parked on the lawn - doesn't cause any damage. You don't often see people park on the road but when you do remember you have to face the direction of the traffic or you will get demerits.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 3:44 am
Just Joined

Julie Anne is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by worzel
Most people around us seem to have a couple of cars parked on the lawn - doesn't cause any damage. You don't often see people park on the road but when you do remember you have to face the direction of the traffic or you will get demerits.

Watch out for signs as well, you can't park on the grass verge outside our house.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 3:45 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

Ahh thanks everyone

Originally Posted by Julie Anne
Watch out for signs as well, you can't park on the grass verge outside our house.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Also, make sure you aren't obstructing the driveway.

My hubby got a ticket for obstructing a driveway (even though he wasn't )
Old Sep 6th 2006, 7:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire edwards
I think that when people build homes here, they always incorporate a driveway or garage, so there's no need to park on the road.
many older areas do not have parking.

My son lived in Norwood in Adelaide (an upmarket suburb) but had no offroad parking as the house was old.

Same as UK really

G
Old Sep 6th 2006, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Outside the houses opposite tafe mooloolaba (my gym) they have stuck 15 minute parking only signs, crazy the carpark is usually full, and hundreds of parks outside sit empty all day
Old Sep 6th 2006, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi all, weve put an offer in for a house but was just wondering if theres any laws with regards parking outside your own house on the road? we will have a drive large enough for 2 cars, however we have 3. Just wondered as you dont really see people parking outside there own home, hope this is to stupid a question

With regard to the Street, you can almost certainly park there.... However if your car is the only one on the street, its a bit of a target for vandals. Re parking on Nature strips etc, thats down to the Local council.... some have laws against it some dont. You'll have to check with the Local council.

Years ago, I would have just parked on the street and not worried about it, however I've been here long enough to realise that in some areas, this just isn't the done thing.... inasmuch as it attracts negative attention. Hopefully you can park on the Nature strip....I wonder what visitors to your area do.

I've got a sneaking suspicision that it could always be a bit of a worry, so either get rid of the 3rd car, or accomodate it on your land.