Shipping

Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Liam Jackson is on a distinguished road
Default Shipping

Hi everyone

I have noticed a lot of threads on this topic but am wondering what happens to you and yr things if you ship out these no no items i have read about such a garden furniture etc.

The reason i ask is we are currently in brunei SE Asia and our stuff is in storage in the uk . So its a question of do we pay to fly back to uk, stay in hotels, hire cars etc and enter our storage and skip these items or do we let it go direct as it is and pay the price at customs!!. im thinking it may be cheaper and less stress to fly to to uk but wanted to check it out for opinions first.

thanks a lot stange request i know.

ceri

Last edited by Liam Jackson; Jul 13th 2008 at 2:23 am. Reason: not clear
Old Jul 13th 2008, 3:33 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping

Originally Posted by Liam Jackson
Hi everyone

I have noticed a lot of threads on this topic but am wondering what happens to you and yr things if you ship out these no no items i have read about such a garden furniture etc.

The reason i ask is we are currently in brunei SE Asia and our stuff is in storage in the uk . So its a question of do we pay to fly back to uk, stay in hotels, hire cars etc and enter our storage and skip these items or do we let it go direct as it is and pay the price at customs!!. im thinking it may be cheaper and less stress to fly to to uk but wanted to check it out for opinions first.

thanks a lot stange request i know.

ceri
Depends if your stuff is in self storage or was packed and stored for you by a firm. If the latter you could request them to locate and remove certain items as possibly some may need to be repacked for overseas shipping unless this was done when originally put into storage.

We had put some items into storage in the UK several years ago and went back to sort it all out. It all had to be repacked for shipping anyway and it was suprising what we through out and sent to auction.

These boxes are now with us here in Dubai stored on our landing waiting for shippers to come and pack everything up here on Thursday to go to Brisbane.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Liam Jackson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shipping/custom charges in Australia

hi

thanks for that info - yes our stuff was packed for an international move so in theory it could be simply shipped straight out to oz when the time is right. however we have in storage items that i have read on here as big no nos for importing into australia such as garden furniture/lawn mower/pot pourri/xmas decs etc. i hasten to add we did not plan to emigrate when we packed our storage stuff away!!. I am just trying to weigh up the pro and cons of making a trip back to sort it out or to pay the price at customs in australia, so checking out what the storage people can do is an option thanks.

thanks ceri
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:40 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

hi

thanks for that info - yes our stuff was packed for an international move so in theory it could be simply shipped straight out to oz when the time is right. however we have in storage items that i have read on here as big no nos for importing into australia such as garden furniture/lawn mower/pot pourri/xmas decs etc. i hasten to add we did not plan to emigrate when we packed our storage stuff away!!. I am just trying to weigh up the pro and cons of making a trip back to sort it out or to pay the price at customs in australia, so checking out what the storage people can do is an option thanks.

thanks ceri
Hi Ceri,

What you could do first is ask them for a copy of the packing list (which should be pretty comprehensive) and see how easy it would be for them to locate the items and either keep for someone to collect or to send to auction for you. It's just a thought and may save you a trip.

Gillian
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

hi

thanks ceri
Garden furniture isn't a no-no, just needs to be clean - no soil or earth etc.
Christmas decs are OK if you are certain there are no pine cones.

Pot pourri and the like would be more of an issue though. One option might be to get the shippers to re-pack for you, removing items listed by you? but in the lng run it might be easier for one of you to fly home and go through the stuff first.