Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Parents - what a relief!!!

Parents - what a relief!!!

Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

dazzyr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parents - what a relief!!!

We started our STNI application for Adelaide back in the Autumn and are expecting our medical requests any day now.
One of our main worries was telling our parents' and how hurt they would be and how they'd react - we've got 3 kids under 7 so they're all proud grandparents also.
So last Tuesday we told Lorraine's mum(58) and dad (60) . Lorraine had a tear while she told them but they were very positive - even to the point of suggesting that they may move out there also after a couple of years. In essence they said they didn't blame us and to go for it while we can. They admitted that in the 10 days following they'd had some tears but happy tears if you know what I mean.
So tonight we told my mum(65) and dad(68). We were dreading this more as they are that little bit older and my only sister already lives in Corfu with her family. No worries mate(get into the lingo!) we were amazed they were of the same opinion as Lorraine's parents and very philosphical admitting that who knows they might only be around for another 10-15 years and we should jump at the chance whilst we can. They've a good social circle so it's doubtful they would join us should we get to Oz. They were really positive -obviously they'd miss us but were all for us making the best go of our lives.
Now we're close to our families,seeing them each at least once a week - so I thought I'd post this as a reassurance to any other prospective migrants who are fretting over these issues. We are relieved as there was no grief but it also underlines some of our reasons to go because people of another generations can understand those reasons and can also see what possibilities lie ahead both for us as migrants in Oz and to future short comings in the UK.
not a bad post after several

Darren.Lorraine,Tom,Harry & Lucy