Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

parents and 457 visas!

parents and 457 visas!

Old Jun 26th 2006, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of
Default parents and 457 visas!

Hi all,
Wonder if any one could give me some info on my mother and father in law, my father in law has got a job here in Brisbane, they arrive here on the 4th july on a 457 visa, i was wondering if the same conditions apply for him being able to apply for pr after the 2 years like most folk, he is 64 and i don't know if he will be able to stay after the 4 years are up or will get kicked out as he will be too old. Any info would be a big help.
Many thanks
Suzanne
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:10 am
Banned

Gnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: parents and 457 visas!

Originally Posted by svinnes
Hi all,
Wonder if any one could give me some info on my mother and father in law, my father in law has got a job here in Brisbane, they arrive here on the 4th july on a 457 visa, i was wondering if the same conditions apply for him being able to apply for pr after the 2 years like most folk, he is 64 and i don't know if he will be able to stay after the 4 years are up or will get kicked out as he will be too old. Any info would be a big help.
Many thanks
Suzanne
Hi Suzanne

Are you aware of the Contributory Parent visa? If not, Booklet 3 (Parent Migration) might be valuable reading for you. Here it is:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1129.pdf

If your in-laws can satisfy the Balance of Family test, then they would become eligible for the Contributory Aged Parent visa in due course (once your FiL reaches the Age Pension age in Australia.)

As to whether their current TR visa could be upgraded/converted to PR, I'm afraid I don't know, but hopefully somebody else will know about this part of your query.

Gnut
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: parents and 457 visas!

Originally Posted by svinnes
Hi all,
Wonder if any one could give me some info on my mother and father in law, my father in law has got a job here in Brisbane, they arrive here on the 4th july on a 457 visa, i was wondering if the same conditions apply for him being able to apply for pr after the 2 years like most folk, he is 64 and i don't know if he will be able to stay after the 4 years are up or will get kicked out as he will be too old.

There is a 45 age bar on permanent employer visas, it can be waived by DIMA but they will be quite reluctant to do so for a 64 year old.

I would echo what someone else posted that Contributory Parent is going to be the most realistic option for PR, do they qualify for that visa?