British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Parental Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/parental-visa-917525/)

joe0707 Sep 21st 2018 7:16 am

Parental Visa

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a similar situation to mine.

My wife left the UK last year and took our two children to Australia, where she is from. After a lengthy battle involving child abduction court etc, I decided to drop my case as my daughters wanted to live in Australia and not be dragged back to the UK.

So I have decided to try and immigrate there to be with them. I have been reading about visas and which one to apply for. I'm thinking my ex may Sponsor me, as we have settled our differences and are in agreement to make things as easy for our children as possible. However, the Parental visas appear to take a very long time. Has anyone been granted one? Did it take 2 years?

Dorothy Sep 21st 2018 8:30 am

Re: Parental Visa

Originally Posted by joe0707 (Post 12565971)
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a similar situation to mine.

My wife left the UK last year and took our two children to Australia, where she is from. After a lengthy battle involving child abduction court etc, I decided to drop my case as my daughters wanted to live in Australia and not be dragged back to the UK.

So I have decided to try and immigrate there to be with them. I have been reading about visas and which one to apply for. I'm thinking my ex may Sponsor me, as we have settled our differences and are in agreement to make things as easy for our children as possible. However, the Parental visas appear to take a very long time. Has anyone been granted one? Did it take 2 years?

Under what visa category is your ex planning to sponsor you? The place to start is www.immi.gov.au

Your best bet is to qualify for a visa on your own steam. What work do you do? How old are you? Do you work for a company with an Australian presence?

joe0707 Sep 21st 2018 8:46 am

I have looked there and the visa most suited to me is a Parental Contributory Visa, with my children sponsoring me but since they are under 18 they need a sponsor on their behalf who could be their mother as their guardian. I have my own landscaping business and am a builder. I am 42 years old with a heart condition. So feels like things are stacked against me. I just wondered if anyone had been in my shoes before and applied for a parental visa. There is a mention of compassionate or compelling grounds and I wonder what is considered a compassionate reason

Dorothy Sep 21st 2018 10:16 am

I think you would be wise to consult with a good MARA registered agent regarding visas. George Lombard would be my recommendation. Even if you have to pay for the consultation it could potentially save you thousands by applying for the right visa and putting together the best appliacation.

Good luck with it. I can imagine it's not easy living so far from your kids.

teza Sep 23rd 2018 11:20 am

I agree with Dorothy, your kids are too young to sponsor you and your ex can’t sponsor you for anything so unless you qualify on your own merits, you need a MARA registered agent to help you