Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Parent’s Visit

Parent’s Visit

Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

optus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura about
Default Parent’s Visit

I’m hoping for my parents to visit at Christmas, but they want to stay for a few days more than the 3 months to fit in with family celebrations.

They will be traveling on an ETA, Looking at previous threads the advice seems to be that ETAs can’t be extended however, on the DIMIA web site there is an extension option which is:

I am currently in Australia; and

I have a current ETA (Electronic Travel Authority - no label in your passport) or a Short Stay Visitor Visa (Subclass 676 label in your passport); and

I wish to extend my stay in Australia so that the total duration of my stay from the date when I last entered Australia is less than 6 months in total

This would seem to suggest that ETAs can be extended.

Anybody any advice or information that can help?

optus
Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:16 am
blossom

Default Re: Parent’s Visit

Check with the travel agency.

My mother came to stay with us for 6 months when I was ill and needed nursing. SHe didn't apply for any special visas, just rocked up to the Travel Agency to book the flight, explained that she needed to come over for 6 months and it all got sorted.

This was the day before Christmas eve and she flew out on the 4th January!

Blossom

Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by optus
I’m hoping for my parents to visit at Christmas, but they want to stay for a few days more than the 3 months to fit in with family celebrations.

They will be traveling on an ETA, Looking at previous threads the advice seems to be that ETAs can’t be extended however, on the DIMIA web site there is an extension option which is:

I am currently in Australia; and

I have a current ETA (Electronic Travel Authority - no label in your passport) or a Short Stay Visitor Visa (Subclass 676 label in your passport); and

I wish to extend my stay in Australia so that the total duration of my stay from the date when I last entered Australia is less than 6 months in total

This would seem to suggest that ETAs can be extended.

Anybody any advice or information that can help?

optus
An ETA *cannot* be extended.

What happens is that you apply onshore for a regular tourist visa. Incidentally, this visa granted onshore can often come with Condition 8503 - No Further Stay, and then you cannot make any further visa applications onshore.

An alternative is to apply for a long-stay tourist visa before leaving the UK, but what happens if this is refused I don't know.

Jeremy
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:38 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by optus
My parents were in the same situation. They sought advice from the travel agent in UK as they needed to stay 3 months and 3 days. The UK travel agent said they should get a 3 month visa and overstay for 3 days, no worries.

The Travel Agent was wrong.

Thankfully my parents met my Migration Agent whilst here in Aus and he advised them to get a further stay visa, which if my memory serves me right they got from a place in Brisbane town centre [i.e probably available onshore in your CBD?]. My parents had to produce evidence they had enough money to sustain their extra stay and I think their passport. I believe it cost them an extra $160+ AUD as effectively they bought a further 3 months visa.

On reflection, it would have been easier/cheaper to have got a 6 month visa in UK but the Travel Agent in UK was obviously misinformed..... or a tad empty in the cerebral department

So to answer your question they can get a 6 month visa in UK to cover them.