Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paranormal Activity especially in Brisbane

Paranormal Activity especially in Brisbane

Old Sep 15th 2005, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Paranormal Activity especially in Brisbane

Has anyone come into contact with a ghost in Australia, the following article was taken from a website about paranormal activity and it claims that Brisbane is Australia’s most haunted city.

I thought with the recent thread on Derek Acora which proved very popular people might have some replies on this one.

Australia is a very haunted continent! Important cases from New South Wales are the Old Government House in Parramatta, the Quarantine Station in North Head, and the Rookwood Cemetery. Cases from Victoria include the ghost of Frederick Baker, who died of a heartattack while playing Mephistopheles in "Faust" at the Princess Theatre in Melbourne, the spirits of the Old Melbourne Gaol (Jail), and the Block Arcade, which is haunted by three firemen who lost their lives trying to put out a fire that erupted in a grain storage warehouse that used to stand on the spot. Another haunted spot in Melbourne is the Victoria Market, which is built right on top of Melbourne's first cemetery. Reports of ghostly encounters at the market go back to the 1840s and continue to this day. Brisbane in Queensland is the most haunted city in Australia and locations covered from that city will include the Old Government House, the Parliament House, and the Brisbane Arcade, and City Hall, where at least three ghosts haunt the hallways. One is an elegant woman, another a maintenance man who continually rides the elevator that killed him in a freak accident, and the last is an American sailor stabbed to death in a fight with another sailor in the downstairs tearoom. Brisbane cemeteries are also hotspots of paranormal activity.

Lutwyche Cemetery ghosts are presaged by the "smell of death;" singing white lights haunt Toowong Cemetery; and apparitions dart across the roads in Bridgeman Downs Cemetery. However, Australia's best documented ghost is known simply as the Ghost of the Outback. It has been seen scores of times in a clearing near Corroboree Springs, which is about 100 miles from Alice Springs. The short dark-featured spirit is thought to be a member of the Arunta Aboriginal Tribe, which used the site for secret and occasionally fatal intitiations.

Cases from Tasmania include the Theatre Royal ghost in Hobart and the floating apparitions of Royal Hobart Hospital. West Australia Fremantle Museum has three ghosts of former prison inmates who erected the building under forced labor. Every resident of the town of Stawell has reported seeing the 8-foot-tall phantom of a man who stays near one particular house in town. A stone building known as the Garth on the bank of the South Esk River just outside Fingal in Tasmania is haunted by the angry ghost of a settler who hanged himself when the bride he sent for from England jilted him.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 1:56 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paranormal Activity especially in Brisbane

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Has anyone come into contact with a ghost in Australia,
Yes, it was a winning ashes side
Old Sep 15th 2005, 2:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of paranormal activity here at present.....maybe the ghosts have moved a few miles north from Lutwyche :scared: I hear them every night, clanking up and down the hallway.......... .......

....................oh, whoops, its not ghosts, its the MIL with her wheely walky thingie

(for heavens sake no-one point out this post to The Bloke )
Old Sep 15th 2005, 3:01 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Any reported paranormal activity in WA?
Old Sep 15th 2005, 3:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
No, haven't persuaded her to move that faraway yet
Old Sep 16th 2005, 1:15 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

My instinct is to say it's a function of the gullibilty of the population. I've only seen so many astrologers and crystal sellers and palm readers in California!
Old Sep 16th 2005, 1:20 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Brisbane the most alcoholic city too?
Old Sep 16th 2005, 1:34 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Certainly.

I was staying in a house in South Perth when I awoke during the night to see the ghost of a woman wearing old fashioned clothes standing in the corner of the room. The ghost then walked to the foot of my bed whereupon I nearly shat myself and legged it out of the room.

Next day I asked the landlord if the house was haunted. He just laughed and said "you saw the old lady didn't you?" Apparently she always comes out when someone new stays in the house.

It shat me up big time.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 1:38 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Certainly.

I was staying in a house in South Perth when I awoke during the night to see the ghost of a woman wearing old fashioned clothes standing in the corner of the room. The ghost then walked to the foot of my bed whereupon I nearly shat myself and legged it out of the room.

Next day I asked the landlord if the house was haunted. He just laughed and said "you saw the old lady didn't you?" Apparently she always comes out when someone new stays in the house.

It shat me up big time.
True story?
Old Sep 16th 2005, 1:41 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
True story?
I saw what I saw. I don't care if people don't believe me.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 2:13 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

I saw what I saw. I don't care if people don't believe me.
I need to know more. Did she do anything, say anything, how old do you think she was?

Paul.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 2:17 am
(It's not my real name)

I need to know more. Did she do anything, say anything, how old do you think she was?

Paul.
Just sort of floated from the corner of the room to the foot of the bed. It was a very old house, I'm guessing she must have been a previous owner.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 2:21 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Just sort of floated from the corner of the room to the foot of the bed. It was a very old house, I'm guessing she must have been a previous owner.
I've woken on two occasions because someone was talking to my baby kids. I can never figure if it was part of the waking up thing or not. My old man had a similar situation to you, where he awoke and there was an old man sat on the end of his bed. He shat himself too (not literally) and genuinely hates discussing it.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 2:28 am
(It's not my real name)

I've woken on two occasions because someone was talking to my baby kids. I can never figure if it was part of the waking up thing or not. My old man had a similar situation to you, where he awoke and there was an old man sat on the end of his bed. He shat himself too (not literally) and genuinely hates discussing it.
I love this paranormal stuff. My pal Eddie & mrs used to live in a really haunted cottage, he lasted 2 months. The landlord was stoic when they broke their tennancy early - just another in a long line apparently.

He was in the kitchen and all the cupboards and drawers were opening and shutting - right in front of him. He'd be in bed and he'd hear someone singing in the living room downstairs. Also, footsteps up the stairs to the bedroom, then the doorknob rattling, like someone was trying to get in.

Another wierd thing happened to me, again I didn't know the house was haunted till afterwards. I was in the kitchen and got shoved in the back, I looked around, expecting to see a mate standing there but there was no one.

Wierd.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:05 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend's little boy used to see a "man" in his bedroom, he'd just say things like "tell the man to go away" and things like that, and once she saw a strange light at the top of the stairs, in fact her mum saw it at the same time. She was going through a really hard time at this point (hubby had been having an affair for months and then buggered off with the girlfriend) and my friend who is very into all things spiritual said it was probably the boys guide trying to comfort him.

Must admit, I have become more sceptical as time has gone on but I do believe there are ghosts and spirits and I do think we all have some sort of guide / guardian angel...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.