paralysis ticks

Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:22 pm
Mav
Forum Regular

Mav is an unknown quantity at this point
Default paralysis ticks

My OH was at work I let my dog out and got ready for work, just about to go out the door my daughter called me she found a lump on our dog ear when I look it was a tick, I panicked as he not had one before so I took him to my vets as they are just up the road, they pulled it out and told me not to fed or give drinks for 24 hrs as side affects of the tick on him can make him sick.
I was so worried I only worked for a short time and came home to take care of him lucky he was fine just a bit sleepy, I always check him for ticks as his a staffy they dont have long fur so it was lucky, has anyone had this happen to them.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: paralysis ticks

Originally Posted by Mav
My OH was at work I let my dog out and got ready for work, just about to go out the door my daughter called me she found a lump on our dog ear when I look it was a tick, I panicked as he not had one before so I took him to my vets as they are just up the road, they pulled it out and told me not to fed or give drinks for 24 hrs as side affects of the tick on him can make him sick.
I was so worried I only worked for a short time and came home to take care of him lucky he was fine just a bit sleepy, I always check him for ticks as his a staffy they dont have long fur so it was lucky, has anyone had this happen to them.
Our dog got a paralysis tick a few years ago - fortunately she responded to treatment and survived after spending 24 hours in intensive care. Treatment was very expensive.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 11:42 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Another good reason to invest in one of the many reasonably priced pet insurance policies.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:26 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know about paralysis ticks in Perth and if there is a huge problem?

When we get our dog, he will live in the garden during the day which is all concrete except for a tiny bit of grass at the top part - difficult to get to anyway.

He will have a kennel as well so snakes and ticks are something I need to find out about.

Anyone know anything about this? We will be living just outside Freo.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I think you can get tick collars can't you? Do they work or do you need to use some other sort of preventative treatment?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

keijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant future

Our dog Molly had to go to the Vet on Tuesday. He found a paralysis tick but luckily she responed well and was allowed home on Wednesday.As a previous poster said, treatment can be expensive. It cost us $350, some of which we should get back from RACQ Pet Insurance.

Cheers, Kevin
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Paralysis ticks can also affect humans

G
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Hi PP.

Paralysis ticks are only over on the East Coast, not in Perth. No paralysis ticks, no cane toads-oh joy !

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Does anyone know about paralysis ticks in Perth and if there is a huge problem?

When we get our dog, he will live in the garden during the day which is all concrete except for a tiny bit of grass at the top part - difficult to get to anyway.

He will have a kennel as well so snakes and ticks are something I need to find out about.

Anyone know anything about this? We will be living just outside Freo.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Good post Mav-as it is warming up here in QLD, our vet said that she had seen a lot of animals coming in with ticks-so beware, use preventative and lots of checks !

Originally Posted by Mav
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:48 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I was familiar with ticks in the UK but not the devistating paralysis ticks they have here.

My King Charles had one last year when she was only a young pup but thankfully the vet treatment pulled her through. She now wears a tick collar from around June to January.

I actually thought the vet treatment here was reasonably priced - certainly cheaper than the dentist!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

So are tick collars and regular checks all you have to do?

I've heard that possums can carry paralysis ticks. I've also heard people say how tame the possums are and how they lick the cat and eat from your hand etc. Wonder if they'd come close enought to fit with a tick collar

Don't even long haired cats ever suffer from ticks or heartworm?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:36 am
Mav
Forum Regular

Mav is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mav
The vet told me to put frontline on him which I did but this only controls ticks up to two weeks, I use the frontline for fleas, I have brought preventic tick collar which helps for 2 months from the vet. It is a worried as we didnt want to leave him in the uk so we brought him with us and now we have to check for ticks and also snakes to keep him safe I love my dog to bits and wouldnt want anythink to happen to him.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:41 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Don't even long haired cats ever suffer from ticks or heartworm?
Cats and heartworm - now there is a topic.

Many dont bother heartworming their cats but having read up on the subject and confirmed it with a vet I used to work for, heartworm in cats is nigh on impossible to test for and is usually only detected when it is too late.

Cats die quite suddenly of heartworm and some vets say it isnt much of a problem in cats or they have a certain amount of immunity to the mozzies and dont get it, some vets say different.

For the sake of $40 every three months, I use revolution on Gordon to treat for fleas/heartworm - it tends to make him off colour for 24 hours but what is the alternative - a gamble to large to take in my opinion.

I think it is easier in dogs as they can have a tablet but would need to check this out.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

I'll have to do some research too, PP. That doesn't sound too bad to me though - $40 for 3 months cover from fleas and heartworm. I pay the same here for 5 weeks cover just for fleas and regular worms.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniee
Hi PP.

Paralysis ticks are only over on the East Coast, not in Perth. No paralysis ticks, no cane toads-oh joy !
phew

frontline covers these ticks for two weeks after application (wonder why they cant make the dose high enough to cover four weeks like the flea bit?!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.