Reload this Page >

panorama programme on BBC1 tonight

panorama programme on BBC1 tonight

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 9:00 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default panorama programme on BBC1 tonight

Did anyone watch the panorama programme on BBC1 tonight........what a joke of the british immigration service. Another reason why this country (UK) is going to the dogs !!!

I'm glad that Australia knows how to handle such matters.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

The Jacksons is an unknown quantity at this point

Just watched it and at the end just thought how glad I am to be going - I feel little loyalty to the UK! Sad really but true.

Jacko
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

well I quite liked the couple in search for their perfect house in the country on BBC2. No one does soothing programs quite like the BBC-e.g. saturday kitchen and that fab new Laurence llwelyn bown thingy about design. Then again in Oz ill probably be too busy outside....
ps-does anyone remember/recall redfaces?
Old Jul 24th 2003, 1:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ruthyman
well I quite liked the couple in search for their perfect house in the country on BBC2. No one does soothing programs quite like the BBC-e.g. saturday kitchen and that fab new Laurence llwelyn bown thingy about design. Then again in Oz ill probably be too busy outside....
ps-does anyone remember/recall redfaces?
The Kiwi version of Laurence Llewellyn Bowen has just been murdered.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: panorama programme on BBC1 tonight

Originally posted by rapitts
Did anyone watch the panorama programme on BBC1 tonight........what a joke of the british immigration service. Another reason why this country (UK) is going to the dogs !!!

I'm glad that Australia knows how to handle such matters.
I can tell you now, after reading a few of the posts on here the last few days "about how to arrive and leech off the Australian welfare system" I can see another country going to the Dogs pretty soon too.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by dotty
I can tell you now, after reading a few of the posts on here the last few days "about how to arrive and leech off the Australian welfare system" I can see another country going to the Dogs pretty soon too.
These people you are talking about have passed pretty stringent entry requirements (did you pass the same tests or did you hang on the coat tails of your old man) to be enabled to come here in the first place, and once they are on their feet they will be paying taxes just like the rest of use.
Most of these benefits are to support the kids anyway which is the same in the UK.
What I can see of the policy in the UK at the moment is it's open house to the dregs and dropouts from around the world.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
These people you are talking about have passed pretty stringent entry requirements (did you pass the same tests or did you hang on the coat tails of your old man) to be enabled to come here in the first place, and once they are on their feet they will be paying taxes just like the rest of use.
Most of these benefits are to support the kids anyway which is the same in the UK.
What I can see of the policy in the UK at the moment is it's open house to the dregs and dropouts from around the world.
Hanging on anyones Coat tails is not my thing. Nor is expecting others to pay my way.

In my time here I have employed 60 australians, how would I apply to emigrate to any country, show them I have guts enough to Start a business that would employ people from their country.
Same way I got in here. Never married my old man till years after I arrived. Didn't need a meal ticket then and dont need one now.

Love the way it pisses people off that somebody actually supports themselves and does not believe in accepting handouts. Oz would be one hell of a country if they could get more like me.

I arrived here with nothing. Zilch zero zip, by day 2 I had a job, a shitty barmaids job, 2 years later I was employing 10 people, while bringing up kids.

Work ethic I think its called.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

There are immigration problems in the UK but all western countries are suffering the same pressures - why do the British media have to be so negative? It disgusts me how reporters constantly put down Britain with sensational headlines - this can't help the morale of the British people and we end up with a 'don't care' attitude, people think the country is 'going to the dogs'.

It really is no better in any other country, Australia has just the same problems as Britain. It's easier to avoid the news over here, the news is not so 'in your face'.

When will the British media start talking 'up' Britain, they do so much damage.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wilf

Once a great place and full of opportubnity, this country's future is bleak and it is filling up with people with a holiday maker or hippy attitude and that will not get it far in the future.}

Wilf you have come back a wise man. Oz needs vibrant, gutsy go getters, people with balls.

Not many here posting job websites or business opportunities, plenty of www welfare posts tho.

Oh the irony
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

I arrived here with nothing. Zilch zero zip, by day 2 I had a job, a shitty barmaids job, 2 years later I was employing 10 people, while bringing up kids.

I can relate to this.

I'm a well qualified PA/Secretary but can't seem to find a job, after 10 applications - still no interview! We've had some unexpected bills whilst renovating our house so I've just started doing housework between the school runs - I hate it but I'm not getting into debt.

I think my change of career has surprised some people but I don't care what I have to do, I couldn't just sit on my backside.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

If your only skill was as a barmaid you obviously didn't come on a skilled migrants visa, like most of the current people are doing, were you one of these 5 pound poms??.

And you admit their are plenty of opportunities for making a good lving down here, especially so if you are highly qualified, so the more skilled works Australia can attract the better, so long as they are flexible and are prepared to adapt to the local environment.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hanging on anyones Coat tails is not my thing. Nor is expecting others to pay my way.

In my time here I have employed 60 australians, how would I apply to emigrate to any country, show them I have guts enough to Start a business that would employ people from their country.
Same way I got in here. Never married my old man till years after I arrived. Didn't need a meal ticket then and dont need one now.

Love the way it pisses people off that somebody actually supports themselves and does not believe in accepting handouts. Oz would be one hell of a country if they could get more like me.

Your approach to life - one of hard work and self-sufficiency - is out of fashion and, sadly, all these spongers will bring us all down in the end.

They knock the asylum seekers, most of whom in my experinece (and I have worked with a few over the years) get on with it and put a lot of effort in, and yet come to Oz themselves with their hand held out for this benefit and that benefit, even though they often have a packet from house sale in the UK. They even then have the cheek to say the UK is a dump, even though it made this move possible for gutless wonders like them who would not cross the road unless they had a safety net and a pocket full of money to do it with.

These people will not sustain OZ but, just when it needs to be pushed on and up, will drag it down and ruin the efforts of people who have built it all up. They have no pride and say "if it is on offer I will take it" and that is just not a good attitude.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Kath
There are immigration problems in the UK but all western countries are suffering the same pressures - why do the British media have to be so negative? It disgusts me how reporters constantly put down Britain with sensational headlines - this can't help the morale of the British people and we end up with a 'don't care' attitude, people think the country is 'going to the dogs'.

It really is no better in any other country, Australia has just the same problems as Britain. It's easier to avoid the news over here, the news is not so 'in your face'.

When will the British media start talking 'up' Britain, they do so much damage.

This is a very sensible post. You are absolutely correct. Britain is a great place and has more to offer than just about anywhere else I can think of. You are very right when you say the UK media breeds a "don't care" attitude and that is probably the most threatening thing to the UK's future success. The UK does not do the pro-'our country" stuff that the Oz media do about Oz - it is like brainwashing over here and you end up thinking that it is bucking all international trends and everywhere else is a dump.

As George Orwell put it in his book 1984: "The chocolate ration has gone up again" is Oz's way.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
If your only skill was as a barmaid you obviously didn't come on a skilled migrants visa, like most of the current people are doing, were you one of these 5 pound poms??.

And you admit their are plenty of opportunities for making a good lving down here, especially so if you are highly qualified, so the more skilled works Australia can attract the better, so long as they are flexible and are prepared to adapt to the local environment.
Came on a 12 month work visa. My skills as TV advertising executive were useless here, market flooded. So I got off my ass again took a barmaids job, no "not good enough for me attitude here mate" it paid the bills and within 12 months I had own business.

I've always said there are opportunites here, but I can guarantee that those whose first trip is to Centerlink dont have the drive motivation and guts to do anything about them.

Work ethic once again.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
Originally posted by Wilf

Once a great place and full of opportubnity, this country's future is bleak and it is filling up with people with a holiday maker or hippy attitude and that will not get it far in the future.}

Wilf you have come back a wise man. Oz needs vibrant, gutsy go getters, people with balls.

Not many here posting job websites or business opportunities, plenty of www welfare posts tho.

Oh the irony

Well I am sure I am still a dumb old man but it is nice to come across as something else, even for a few minutes.

I admire your employing so many people in Oz. Shame for some on here that you are planning to leave Oz because they will need people like you to hold their hand, even if they do already have tens of thousands of pounds in the bank. I am afraid to say that I have only ever employed one bloke but I suppose that is one more than none, and it did him some good. Well, I suppose it still is because he took over my customers and they are still keeping him going.

On the other hand, I am sort of pleased that people like you are going back to London, because like you, I am a Londoner, and it makes me happy to think that people like you are going to live in my old hometown. It will then continue to thrive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.