Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Panicking ..... again...

Panicking ..... again...

Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all
Default Panicking ..... again...

We fly tomorrow morning to Melbourne with Singapore and we have just re weighed the cases and we are about 10kgs over. There's 5 of us traveling with 6 cases, 1 carry on small case and 4 backpacks. Sat in the hotel room starting to panick... what will happen will the just charge us a excess baggage fee? We've already off loaded the towels, frying pan (don't ask!) and iron to mates....

cheers
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:49 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Panicking ..... again...

If you are 10kgs over between all of you then I wouldn't worry about it, they almost certainly won't.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Try to check in really early, they are less bothered about weight then. With the amount you are talking about Its really unlikely that you will get charged. I would say try to relax but I never do until the bags are accepted. That's when the fun starts for me.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 1:56 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

We were well over, had the 20kgs limit but weighed in at 32kg each (only 2 of us travelling). We checked in 4 hours before and got away with it.....good job because it was £37 per kilo excess charge with Malaysian airlines.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Cheers everyone... won't tell OH he'll make me ask for his frying pan back...lol!!

Don't think I'll calm down until we are sat in manchester airport.... the good byes are taking it out of me big style... at least I can relax a little bit about the 10kgs...

..... only to start shxtting myself again when we hit the big unknown.... aka melbourne........

thanks again,

Shelley
Old Mar 14th 2009, 8:10 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
Try to check in really early, they are less bothered about weight then. With the amount you are talking about Its really unlikely that you will get charged. I would say try to relax but I never do until the bags are accepted. That's when the fun starts for me.
Good advice.
I would not panic either but i know my husband would be near hysterical at the bags being 1kg over
Have a safe journey
J x
Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Bon Voyage & good luck for your new life
Old Mar 15th 2009, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheli0508
We fly tomorrow morning to Melbourne with Singapore and we have just re weighed the cases and we are about 10kgs over. There's 5 of us traveling with 6 cases, 1 carry on small case and 4 backpacks. Sat in the hotel room starting to panick... what will happen will the just charge us a excess baggage fee? We've already off loaded the towels, frying pan (don't ask!) and iron to mates....

cheers
When we arrived in Aus (11 years ago) we brought most of our clothes etc...we were flying with Singapore and I had read (did not have the luxury of sites like this back in the "old days) that if you were migrating to inform "check in" and you could take extra weight, I think it was an extra 10k for each person...at checki in we were told we were over and had to pay about an extra 350 pounds....I nearly fainited but when we told check in we were migrating they appolgised and said all was well.......not sure if this still is the case but phone and find out......all the best....
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

sorry cant member the exact weights but if you are emigrating you are usually allowed double the allowance each.

We came over on a recci first and got our visas validated then returned back to Oz 6 months later to start our new lives,...we were double the standard weight allowance (because we'd had our visas validated 6 months previous we no longer had the double allowance)

I just told the girl on the Singapore Airlines desk we were emigrating and were entitled to double the weight allowance , to which she replied... Oh, Ok and waved us through without looking at the visas in our passports.

Dont worry ....if they do charge you just stick it on the credit card and worry about it later......then pay it off with one of Kevin Rudds free cash handouts later down the track!!

Last edited by JAMMIE DODGER; Mar 15th 2009 at 8:52 am.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
sorry cant member the exact weights but if you are emigrating you are usually allowed double the allowance each.

We came over on a recci first and got our visas validated then returned back to Oz 6 months later to start our new lives,...we were double the standard weight allowance (because we'd had our visas validated 6 months previous we no longer had the double allowance)

I just told the girl on the Singapore Airlines desk we were emigrating and were entitled to double the weight allowance , to which she replied... Oh, Ok and waved us through without looking at the visas in our passports.

Dont worry ....if they do charge you just stick it on the credit card and worry about it later......then pay it off with one of Kevin Rudds free cash handouts later down the track!!
We were 40kg over our (double) allowance on singapore for just 2 people last July. We weren't charged.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:47 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereshoping
We were 40kg over our (double) allowance on singapore for just 2 people last July. We weren't charged.
OH and I are on a diet

Cooler
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:13 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hereshoping

How many irons / frying pans & kitchen sinks did you pack?

Dougie
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE

How many irons / frying pans & kitchen sinks did you pack?

Dougie
None in the end dougie... but the bloody price of the same pan in Target this morning was a shocker

Well, we are here.... no questions asked at the check in desk and I think all in we where about 25kgs over.... Didn't even end up with our suitcases being scanned at Melbourne... The nice customs guy said he could recognise an emigrating family anyway.... just asked us if our shoes were free from soil and the OH joked about 'couldn't he smell the jeyes!'

So thanks for the advice everyone... just need to speed up the internet concection in Mcdougals.....
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Simple

Trick is to wear all your jumpers, trousers, t shirts, socks etc all at once. If you have books etc carry them separately to the luggage so they don't get weighed. If you have lots of shoes tie them together and hang them around your neck.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheli0508
None in the end dougie... but the bloody price of the same pan in Target this morning was a shocker

Well, we are here.... no questions asked at the check in desk and I think all in we where about 25kgs over.... Didn't even end up with our suitcases being scanned at Melbourne... The nice customs guy said he could recognise an emigrating family anyway.... just asked us if our shoes were free from soil and the OH joked about 'couldn't he smell the jeyes!'

So thanks for the advice everyone... just need to speed up the internet concection in Mcdougals.....
Glad you have arrived safely.

Good luck with settling in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.