Wikiposts

Panicing

Old Nov 24th 2004, 11:43 pm
d&g
Just Joined

d&g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Panicing

Can someone out there give me confidence please?

Am sitting here in the UK and wondering what to do. Got an employer sponsored permanent residence visa valid until 5th Jan 05. Wife and two kids egging to go to Perth. I'm rigid with fear and not knowing which way to turn. Potential employer has booked the packers for three weeks time, will put us up for a couple of weeks and pay for all settling-in procedures. House wont sell here but estate agents tell me not to worry and dont lose the dream. Am a physical and wreck and am about to chuck it all away.

Is this sensible? Anybody in or knowing Perth, is it worth the hassle that the next six weeks will be?
Old Nov 24th 2004, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Panicing

Originally Posted by d&g

Am sitting here in the UK and wondering what to do. Got an employer sponsored permanent residence visa valid until 5th Jan 05. Wife and two kids egging to go to Perth. I'm rigid with fear and not knowing which way to turn. Potential employer has booked the packers for three weeks time, will put us up for a couple of weeks and pay for all settling-in procedures. House wont sell here but estate agents tell me not to worry and dont lose the dream. Am a physical and wreck and am about to chuck it all away.

Is this sensible? Anybody in or knowing Perth, is it worth the hassle that the next six weeks will be?
D&G

Wow!. Well, ultimately its yours and your familys decision. How about renting your house out for a year or so and if you don't like Perth then you can always come back. I realise that its a lot more complicated than that (kids etc) but thats the way I'd probably go.

I've been to Perth twice and absolutely love the place. Thats where we're looking to go in the summer of 06.

Hope this helps and good luck
Old Nov 24th 2004, 11:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Only you can decide, but IMO I would go for it. Nothing to lose - maybe a bit of money - but life is short, and you have the opportunity to experience something new - which is scary. Most of the battle is gone in that the rest of the family are keen. Obviously you are worried because you are the wage earner and that brings its own worries, but give it a go. If you come back, you won't have failed, but if you don't go and lose the visa, you will probably regret it because you won't know if you would have loved it. Does any of that make sense

There are loads on here who love Perth. There are also some who don't. You would have a lot of support from us lot and especially those who are there.

Deep breath, go for it
Old Nov 24th 2004, 11:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by d&g

Am sitting here in the UK and wondering what to do. Got an employer sponsored permanent residence visa valid until 5th Jan 05. Wife and two kids egging to go to Perth. I'm rigid with fear and not knowing which way to turn.
Do you mean you have only until 5th Jan 2005 to validate the visa? How come you've got so little time?

You must validate the visa (all family members) and DIMIA are not flexible so don't leave it to the last minute. You can always come back to the UK to sort things out after validating.

As someone else has said, if the house won't sell maybe consider renting it? This has pros and cons, but maybe consider it.

Or have you got other concerns about emigrating. It may boil down to whether you want to spend the rest of your life wondering 'what if'.

Jeremy
Old Nov 25th 2004, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by d&g

Is the sale of the house the only factor in this?
I guess that depends on how much equity you have in your home and how much you really need to start a new life. Don't be taken in by what estate agents say they are having a very hard time at the moment. If you can afford to reduce your house now to get it sold then do it. Renting it out in a falling market (and it is falling) will further erode you equity.
A 10% reduction now may well be the market price in 6 months.
Very best of luck to you.

Where in the UK are you?

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 25th 2004, 12:11 am
d&g
Just Joined

[QUOTE=JAJ]Do you mean you have only until 5th Jan 2005 to validate the visa? How come you've got so little time?

So little time because affairs have been complicated and its been a real strain sorting everything out.

You must validate the visa (all family members) and DIMIA are not flexible so don't leave it to the last minute. You can always come back to the UK to sort things out after validating.

True

As someone else has said, if the house won't sell maybe consider renting it? This has pros and cons, but maybe consider it.

Or have you got other concerns about emigrating. It may boil down to whether you want to spend the rest of your life wondering 'what if'.

I'm already wondering what if. Its a tremendous opportunity I know, a job as a Uni professor and a great country. Still, I am left with the feeling that these things only ought to happen to other people.
Jeremy
Old Nov 25th 2004, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

suecroft will become famous soon enoughsuecroft will become famous soon enough

Up to you guys. BUT. You may never get this opportunity again.

What if in Feb you say - wish I'd gone - too b***y late !!

I agree with a previous post ( for what its worth)
If your nervous - treat it as an adventure,
Rent out the house in the UK so you can always come back.

Mentally give yourselves a year

If you absolutely hate it - £xxx for return flights

WE had the same issues but after many discussions decided its got to be worth a shot.

Good luck in the decision making.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 12:17 am
d&g
Just Joined

Steve,

Am in Exeter.

The main one. I am panicing like crazy about trying to get organised and ready and am at the point where the sheer size of it is all too much. The future employer is bending over backwards to help and reassure but I'm now to the point where I think it is just all too much. If I dont go ahead I'll be letting them down and my family down. Thank goodness I havent resigned my post here yet so if the brakes go on I havent lost everything.

I guess that depends on how much equity you have in your home and how much you really need to start a new life.

100% mine -- 2 bed semi-d outside the city valued at c. £150K. Job set up for $110 K -- doesnt sound that wonderful does it?
Old Nov 25th 2004, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by d&g
Steve,

Am in Exeter.

The main one. I am panicing like crazy about trying to get organised and ready and am at the point where the sheer size of it is all too much. The future employer is bending over backwards to help and reassure but I'm now to the point where I think it is just all too much. If I dont go ahead I'll be letting them down and my family down. Thank goodness I havent resigned my post here yet so if the brakes go on I havent lost everything.

I guess that depends on how much equity you have in your home and how much you really need to start a new life.

100% mine -- 2 bed semi-d outside the city valued at c. £150K. Job set up for $110 K -- doesnt sound that wonderful does it?
I am leaving in Jan too, only people in our position will know what a overwealming move it is.
Take a step back from it, consider what quality of life you will have with a $110k salary and £120k-£130k after fees to buy a house in Perth with.
You would have to rent at £750ish a month to make keeping the house here a sensible option, even then you will certainly loose capital next year.
What ever drove you to looking to emmigrate will still be with you if you choose to stay. As you say saying 'what if' next year is not a good option.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 12:43 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=d&g]
Originally Posted by JAJ
. Still, I am left with the feeling that these things only ought to happen to other people.
Jeremy
you are other people...

What you have sounds like many a persons dream.. whether you take up this opportunity or not is up to you.. but just think of what you could be missing out on..

All the best..
Old Nov 25th 2004, 12:59 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

2 pearls of wisdom......

1 - You only regret the things you dont do (or the things you get caught doing )

and

2 - You are here for a good time not a long time !!!!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by d&g
Steve,

Am in Exeter.

Blimey, if I had a firm offer of a $110k job I'd be outta here! That's actually a pretty good salary for Oz.

Why not just take a long holiday to validate the visa's, then at least you keep your options open...
Old Nov 25th 2004, 1:28 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
Blimey, if I had a firm offer of a $110k job I'd be outta here! That's actually a pretty good salary for Oz.

Why not just take a long holiday to validate the visa's, then at least you keep your options open...
It's not a bad salary over here too !!!!!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 1:33 am
d&g
Just Joined

I know its not a bad salary! Whether it will go as far as a similar salary here I dont know (another worry in all this). I just want to bury my head and cry.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by d&g
I know its not a bad salary! Whether it will go as far as a similar salary here I dont know (another worry in all this). I just want to bury my head and cry.
Ok, so what's the worst that can happen? And the best? Weigh them up, then decide. As long as you validate in time you've got the luxury of time to think about it - a luxury many on this forum would like to have...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.