Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PANIC - Lost job as comp programmer

PANIC - Lost job as comp programmer

Old Jan 11th 2004, 6:28 pm
I never gave up trying

gunnercaz is on a distinguished road
Unhappy PANIC - Lost job as comp programmer

Lost my job as an analyst programmer in Dec and having problems getting another job as one, as my programming language(POWERHOUSE) is not longer a commonly used programming language.
I had a positive skills assesment from ACS and with this applied to DIMMIA. I then posted everything myself without the use of an agent and then had written confirmation that my skilled independant visa was registered on Nov 3rd 2003 by DIMMIA.
I've worked out that I have 115 points which is the pass mark.
I'm 34 and have sent through my computer degree, 8 years in I.T. of work references, birth certificate, positive skills assesment, etc,etc.

But my dilmea is this:....
I'm worried that if my application fails then I will never be able to apply again due to losing 5 points once I hit the age of 35(Sep 04) and the 'analyst programmer' work gap on my CV shows, so it now or never in my case.
Can anyone tell me why DIMMIA would fail an application?
Soz for the stupid question, but I'm doing this on my own and like many else who has applied, I'm on the 'waiting list' now and hoping I filled in everything okay on the form and sent everthing that was required.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottalison6 is an unknown quantity at this point

not really sure if this helps but my agent did say once that you only have to have work 12 from last 18 months in the skill you apply for..i am probably wrong!!!!!someone else will know a lot more........
Old Jan 11th 2004, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scottalison6
not really sure if this helps but my agent did say once that you only have to have work 12 from last 18 months in the skill you apply for..i am probably wrong!!!!!someone else will know a lot more........

Is this at the time of application though? In which case if the applications submitted it shouldnt matter? I dont really know but if theres ever a good time to lose your job it sounds like its at this stage rather than before skills assessment or application.

I havnt really heard of anyone failing their application as long as they meet the points mark and pass medicals and police checks.

Good luck
Old Jan 11th 2004, 11:15 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcmercer
Is this at the time of application though? In which case if the applications submitted it shouldnt matter? I dont really know but if theres ever a good time to lose your job it sounds like its at this stage rather than before skills assessment or application.

I havnt really heard of anyone failing their application as long as they meet the points mark and pass medicals and police checks.

Good luck
That's right. It's at the time of the application.

I was in IT when I applied, got made redundant then became a baggage handler at Gatwick, then a postman.

I'm back in IT now.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:58 am
I never gave up trying

gunnercaz is on a distinguished road
Talking happy days ahead...I'm sure of it now!

cheers for your reply and helpful advice everyone....hopefully I've done enough to get in. I may be on the dole..but this time next year goodness knows what may be happening fo me..hopefully a plan to get my tickets to Oz rather than a bus ticket to the job center...tee hee!
Old Mar 6th 2004, 6:51 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Powerhouse

Believe it or not, I'm a 34 year old programmer whose main 'skill' is in Powerhouse on VAX/VMS. I finished a contract in December, there doesn't seem to be very much left in the dying Powerhouse market in the UK.

Due to 'circumstances' I'm going to be applying for migration as a De Facto spouse and then try to get a job as a programmer if (praying) and when I get to Oz.

There doesn't seem to be much positive feedback on the whole IT
situation in Oz at the moment so I'm a bit worried about the whole thing.

There again, they seem to have difficulty filling Powerhouse positions, I've seen a few Australian jobs advertised in the UK section of Jobserve.

I saw a quote from someone from Cognos recently saying there were at least 30 Australian companies still paying for Powerhouse development licences (i.e. not BI, Impromptu, Powerplay etc.) so maybe there's hope yet.

Here's hoping we both get in and find some work.

I may need to embellish some of my lesser skills.

Good luck with the application.