Panic

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 6:00 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hi trayla...we fly on 18th sept too...1145 hrs from manchester..malaysian airlines to sydney via kuala lumpar....who u flying with?????
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

cam the man is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an architect and I am sure your conservatory will not have needed planning permission unless your conservatory was a really big one.

Your local planning office will have a leaflet on "permitted development" which usually means that you are allowed to build a a certain amount of area (1/10th or something like that - I am not sure as I deal with much bigger projects) of your floor area and single storey without permission.

I would imaging a copy of the leaflet from the planning department should do it!!
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 10:28 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. Made time today to take out my daughter and her mate so that they could make a video of all their favourite places in Poole and Bournemouth along with footage of previous houses that we lived in. It took 5 hours but is absolutely brilliant and will be a really nice keepsake for us all.

Feeling slightly better today. Have warned everyone in the house that anything that is not in a suitcase tomorrow evening is going to Oz so they'll have to do without it.

Also found out why there will be a 10 day delay on us getting a letter from planning.....the only person that can type the letter is on holiday until next week!!!!

Thanks for the advice Cam, the solicitors have the specs of the conservatory and a copy of the relevant regulation but still insist on a letter from planning. Stupid thing is that planning dept just asked our solicitor to confirm various points over the phone and are producing the letter on that basis.

Never mind, this will soon be behind us and we will be on our way. One big adventure coming up.

Best of luck to everyone, this site really helps me get through the worries and the doubts as well as providing realistic advice and warnings about what to expect.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 12:10 pm
Brisbane

Trayla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Yvsie,

We haven't booked the flight yet, and we are going to Adelaide.

I did see some flights Man - Kuala Lumpur - Adelaide at that time. When we book it I'll let you know, we might be on the same flight to Kuala Lumpur.

I have to be in Adelaide by the 22nd Sept so the Panic is setting in.

Good Luck,

Trayla
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steph,
really feel for you at the moment with all the STRESS!! I feel it getting to me some days and we're not even close to going yet! You have made me think about our conservatory though!! Anyone know if there are any rules about doors between conservatory and existing house? We don't have any- just an open doorway between conservatory and kitchen and I seem to remember my brother in law mumbling that we should have proper lockable doors to pass building control! Would really appreciate advice on this as I would hate for it to be a stumbling block at he last minute if we should do something now!

In the meantime Steph take a deep breath and a hot bubbly bath and trust that it will all work out in the end! Us women are inclined to worry sooo much aren't we? Really hope it will be O.K. for you and it will seem worth it all soon!!
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 3:07 pm
Geelong October!!!!

Codgob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jajpe
Hi Steph,
really feel for you at the moment with all the STRESS!! I feel it getting to me some days and we're not even close to going yet! You have made me think about our conservatory though!! Anyone know if there are any rules about doors between conservatory and existing house? We don't have any- just an open doorway between conservatory and kitchen and I seem to remember my brother in law mumbling that we should have proper lockable doors to pass building control! Would really appreciate advice on this as I would hate for it to be a stumbling block at he last minute if we should do something now!

In the meantime Steph take a deep breath and a hot bubbly bath and trust that it will all work out in the end! Us women are inclined to worry sooo much aren't we? Really hope it will be O.K. for you and it will seem worth it all soon!!

We weretold that we needed a door as well,but gave it a good ignoring,had estate asgents round,they didn,t seem bothered,but if the worse comes to the worse,just chuck some 4x2 up for a surround and chuck a cheapie door on for the prospective buyers valuer,don't think they will bother thougth
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Steph - it'll all be fine once you get there and are not in limbo. Meanwhile, keep busy and don't think about it.

Rob - and anyone else who's worried about living without your computer for a couple of months like we were - it's simpler and cheaper to buy a secondhand laptop before you go unless you actually need a whizzo new laptop for ongoing use. You can copy all your email addresses and whatever onto it beforehand and have it all set up ready to sign up with an ISP when you arrive. We bought ours on ebay (www.ebay.co.uk) for £200 all up.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

cam the man is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jajpe
Hi Steph,

Cam the architect here -maybe I should set up my own discussion forum!- You do need a door for fire regs and heating and ventilation regulations. However, it is not a big deal to put up a door if needed. Best wait until asked though I think.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:53 am
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

Well this will probably be my last post from my own computer as the removal men are coming tomorrow lunchtime. I'm nowhere near ready and am gong to have to get up at 6 to sort the rest out.

To top it all we were served a notice from the local council this morning. Apparantly 25 of the houses on our road share a drainage system for which we are responsible. There are 2 blockages that they insist we sort out within 10 days and share the cost. No idea what that will be but our buyer is a bit twitchy about it all, despite my assurances that our solicitor says we can leave a holding amount with her for payment of the share once known (hopefully tomorrow).

So the situation is, our wordly goods are being sent to Oz tomorrow, our leaving do is on Friday, we are supposed to complete on the 10/9 and we haven't even exchanged contracts yet! As most of our capital is in the equity in the house I am starting to develop a nervous twitch as we would have difficulty going ahead with our plans and trying to sell the house again/complete whilst we were out in Oz.

Going to bed now, maybe things will look better in the morning!

Steph