Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Palm Trees - Melbourne

Palm Trees - Melbourne

Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Palm Trees - Melbourne

Hi all,

Theres something about palm trees which makes a place more appealing to live in (in my eyes)

Does Melbourne have many?

ps...what do special about the Mornington Peninsula?
From the photos I've seen...it looks like Cornwall.

TC
Old Feb 14th 2006, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all
Default Re: Palm Trees - Melbourne

Yeh there is plenty palm trees in Melbourne. Have a look at St.Kilda for instance or Albert Park. Plent around
Old Feb 14th 2006, 5:10 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

There you go, weve got palm trees & graffiti.
Attached Thumbnails Palm Trees - Melbourne-gardens-yarra.jpg  
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they are there but not as many as there used to be!

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...828328953.html
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helinuk
Yes they are there but not as many as there used to be!

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...828328953.html

Hey Helen, good to see you!!!! Are we going to be seeing you in Melbourne anytime soon??? I was looking at some pictures the other night and saw one of you when you came to visit Bendigo!! Should email it to you.

Anyway, I can assume they managed to sort out the problem because the palm trees are still there and that article was from 2003!!

"Little is known about how to eradicate or control fusarium wilt. The disease works its way through the tree and can kill it within weeks in some cases."
Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:12 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Hi all,

Theres something about palm trees which makes a place more appealing to live in (in my eyes)

TC
Actually, ALDI in Oz are selling palm trees at the moment for $12.99
Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough

I've got 6 in my garden that I am trying to get rid of if i have any takers!!

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Hi all,

TC
Old Feb 15th 2006, 3:20 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

The ones in St.Kilda are imported from the canary islands.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
Hey Helen, good to see you!!!! Are we going to be seeing you in Melbourne anytime soon??? I was looking at some pictures the other night and saw one of you when you came to visit Bendigo!! Should email it to you.

Anyway, I can assume they managed to sort out the problem because the palm trees are still there and that article was from 2003!!

"Little is known about how to eradicate or control fusarium wilt. The disease works its way through the tree and can kill it within weeks in some cases."
Hey Hels
I'll PM you.
I wish! I could do with a bit of warm weather Its been -3 here some mornings, just raining now though.
I knew the article was 2003. someone told me they took quite a few of the trees down?! Might have been 'OT',he usually posts these kind of facts.
Hx
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I was told that Palm Trees can't grow in Melbourne so they are grown in QSL & Perth and sent down once they are 'big'..dunno if it's true but it's what I was told.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 10:23 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I was told that Palm Trees can't grow in Melbourne so they are grown in QSL & Perth and sent down once they are 'big'..dunno if it's true but it's what I was told.
If you can grow palm trees in southern Scotland ,then believe you me, you can grow them in Melb'n, which has a milder climate than Southern England. However, there are only a few primitive palm species native to the state.

With any plants, it's mainly about how much frost an area gets of course, rather than how hot it gets. Thus you can grow many more species more easily in the North, and also if you want lots of native palms, then there are plenty occuring naturally in the North too.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Who told you Melbourne has a milder climate than Southern England. I think
you will find that it is on the same latitude as Southern Spain and Central/Northern California. I cannot remember Souther England reaching over 40 degrees in the summer!
Old Feb 16th 2006, 3:29 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Palm Trees - Melbourne

Originally Posted by 29palms
I cannot remember Souther England reaching over 40 degrees in the summer!
We had 38 in London in 2004!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 16th 2006, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Yeh but that was a one off. You probably get 20-30 days in the summer when its in the 30's in melbourne.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 3:53 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Palm Trees - Melbourne

Originally Posted by 29palms
Yeh but that was a one off. You probably get 20-30 days in the summer when its in the 30's in melbourne.
2004 we had 15 days when it was over 30 degrees and 90 days when it was between 20 and 30 degrees.

Hmmm getting statistical like ABC now.

Cheers

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.