Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Palm Cove - anybody been?

Palm Cove - anybody been?

Old May 25th 2006, 4:57 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Palm Cove - anybody been?

Anybody been here and can recommend anywhere to stay and also realistically how long do you think you could spend there without getting bored with 2 kids aged 8 and 10?

We have just booked flights to Cairns for 2 weeks and now need to plan an itinery of things to do on a budget. Cairns for some of the time, Palm Cove for some and open to suggestions...

LJJ
Old May 25th 2006, 5:45 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Palm Cove - anybody been?

Originally Posted by ljj
Anybody been here and can recommend anywhere to stay and also realistically how long do you think you could spend there without getting bored with 2 kids aged 8 and 10?

We have just booked flights to Cairns for 2 weeks and now need to plan an itinery of things to do on a budget. Cairns for some of the time, Palm Cove for some and open to suggestions...

LJJ
yep a couple of times, lovely place for a relaxing time, most of the accomodation on the main front is good standard, we stayed in the Amphora just after it opened last year, very good from all respects, time before was in either the outrigger or the sebel cant remember which one it was as getting it confused with Port Douglas, which is another fantastic place, I prefered both of these over Cairns, nothing against Cairns but not much to do there beyond a day, and you can easily access it from Palm Cove.
Port Douglass has a bit more going on that PC, but both are really nice. You'll need to check if the stinger nets are still out (depending on when your going) I think they bring them in around end of June time.
Old May 25th 2006, 5:55 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

checked on the nets, we should be ok going end jul- begin aug.

LJJ
Old May 25th 2006, 7:06 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes been a couple of times and stayed at The Sebel Reef Hotel but i don't think really suitable for children as they would get bored. One of the bigger hotels with more amenities might suit better. There is the Outrigger or the Novotel. I understand a new one has just opened as well called Sea Temple. Both the Sebel Reef and the Sea Temple (plus other hotels) can be booked through www.mirvachotels.com.au although you may get better deals with a travel agent.

We have also been to Double Island off Palm Cove but that would only do if there were about 40 of you going!!!
Old May 25th 2006, 10:00 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vanessa

We have also been to Double Island off Palm Cove but that would only do if there were about 40 of you going!!!
Now you are just showing off to make me jealous...who do you hang out with and can I join your club? we live in the same village...!!!

LJJ
Old May 25th 2006, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by ljj
Now you are just showing off to make me jealous...who do you hang out with and can I join your club? we live in the same village...!!!

LJJ
Old May 25th 2006, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ljj

LJJ
Where are you in Beaumaris?
Old May 25th 2006, 10:25 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Where are you in Beaumaris?
PM you
Old May 25th 2006, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by ljj
PM you
ok
Old May 25th 2006, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Pink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to all
Red face Re: Palm Cove - anybody been?

We stayed at Oasis (www.oasis-palmcove.com.au) at Palm Cove, it was an apartment which was lovely and very clean, the beach was a five minute walk and the off licence was just over the road. Our children were 1 and 2 at the time we hired a car went to Port Douglas, Kuranda etc. The owners of Oasis were able to arrange tours and excursions to pick you up from Oasis. We took the children on a Quicksilver trip to the Outer Barrier where they found a little wet suit for my 1 year old, tied up the legs to make them smaller and took her in to meet the fish!! she loved it! We were there for 9 days but wish we could have stayed longer.

We are moving to Sydney (eventually!) but I am sure we will have plenty of family holidays there in the future!

Have Fun!
Pink x
Old May 25th 2006, 11:01 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

thanks Pink, looks good.

LJJ
Old May 25th 2006, 12:42 pm
By the sea

sparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Palm Cove - anybody been?

Hi! Palm Cove is very nice. We have visited there twice and stayed at the Sebel Reef as mentioned by vanessa. It is very nice but there isn't really that much for kids at the hotel. We have also stayed at the Thala Beach Lodge which has its own beach to keep the kids busy. There is also a crocodile farm on the road between PC and Port Douglas which is great for kids.

I hope that is of some help.

Jo
Old May 25th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Palm Cove is great and If you have littluns I would recommend Novotel too, fantastic pool that will keep them amused for hours! It also has a kids club that organises events and activities etc... Its a good base for moving around. If your driving you won't have a problem, theres a small shopping mall and Kuranda skyrail about 20 mins drive away in one direction and Port Douglas in the other. The actual village is very small and boutique like.I would say its more for couples than kids but I first went with my girls aged 7 and 9 and we got on fine. I have a few pics of the last time we went so if you want me to send a couple just PM me
Old May 25th 2006, 9:09 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj

LJJ

Never been!! SORRY!!

But it sounds lovely,keep us posted as too what it is like? Please let me know,I have been looking at areas and property too!
All this is very exciting & interesting

Last edited by utopia; May 25th 2006 at 9:17 pm.
Old May 25th 2006, 9:18 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed at Coral sands resort in Trinity Beach which isnt too far from Palm Cove. Couldnt fault the apartments and the supermarket up the road even gives you a lift back with your shopping!!!

We had planned to go in a hot air balloon and go to Kuranda but unfortunately if peed down most of the time we were there!!! We still had a cracking time.

We did manage a day out snorkelling on the Barrier Reef which was a brilliant experience.

Have a great time.
Joex