Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Painting stuff - can I take it?

Painting stuff - can I take it?

Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Painting stuff - can I take it?

I had a brief flirtation with oil painting a few years ago - more enthusiasm than talent! Haven't done any for 4 years since the littl'un was born but have hung onto paints etc so I can have another go when he's old enough not to eat them!

Just got it all down from the top of the wardrobe and there are oil paints, linseed oil, liquin, gels etc.

Can I take this stuff or is likely to be a problem?
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Painting stuff - can I take it?

Originally Posted by Family of 3
I had a brief flirtation with oil painting a few years ago - more enthusiasm than talent! Haven't done any for 4 years since the littl'un was born but have hung onto paints etc so I can have another go when he's old enough not to eat them!

Just got it all down from the top of the wardrobe and there are oil paints, linseed oil, liquin, gels etc.

Off top of head check out...

AQIS
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

It's the damage it can do to the rest of your stuff when you ship it
We bought all ours but double bagged in ziplock bags then packed in plastic boxes with sealing lids ( tuppaware style) just in case, it all went inside a 25Litre plastic storage box with a lid taped down ........... no worries all got here undamaged
Old Dec 4th 2010, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh er, that sounds potentially dramatic.

Can't find anything on AQIS website.

Maybe I'll give it a miss - may never get round to using it anyway!
Old Dec 4th 2010, 10:28 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I took oil paints, easel, brushes, etc. - no problem.

You might like to give thinners, etc. a miss though.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

itsmylife has a spectacular aura aboutitsmylife has a spectacular aura aboutitsmylife has a spectacular aura about

My paints and mediums are currently enroute to Australia, shipping company said they were ok, added paint/art items to insurance as well with no problems. I also packed them up in one of those Really Useful Boxes, so that if anything leaked that they wouldn't damage other items, and the shipping guys wrapped that up before puting it in a carboard box. If you enjoy it and you can see yourself having another go, may as well take them
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes its fine, you can bring it. I'd get some small plastic crates and pack it in those, thats what I did with all my bubble bath and stuff like that.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

In the end I chucked the turps etc but packed the paints in two layers of plastic bags inside a plastic container. It would actually have cost quite a lot to replace.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:52 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

In the end I chucked the turps etc but packed the paints in two layers of plastic bags inside a plastic container. It would actually have cost quite a lot to replace.

This is by seafreight not airfreight right?

VERY different rules apply to airfreight regarding paint dependent on what type it is...........
Old Dec 5th 2010, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, seafreight.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:35 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

paints are fairly expensive over here especially if you buy artist grade not student