Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Painter or Tiler question

Painter or Tiler question

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice
Default Painter or Tiler question

Hi, hope you can help with this. Hubby worked as a tiler in the UK for a while and wants to carry on tiling or painting in Aus. However we have been told that to work as a tiler or painter here you must have completed a very long apprenticeship, which he doesn't fancy doing.

We were then told by someone who runs his own handyman business that he does mowing, painting, etc. anyway, and has had no training at all!

Can you work for another tiler (if you have no qualifications) or is it something that is not allowed at all? Also can you do small jobs if you have your own business?

Anyone know?

I need a wine.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 4:08 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Painter or Tiler question

Originally Posted by kt.2006
Hi, hope you can help with this. Hubby worked as a tiler in the UK for a while and wants to carry on tiling or painting in Aus. However we have been told that to work as a tiler or painter here you must have completed a very long apprenticeship, which he doesn't fancy doing.

We were then told by someone who runs his own handyman business that he does mowing, painting, etc. anyway, and has had no training at all!

Can you work for another tiler (if you have no qualifications) or is it something that is not allowed at all? Also can you do small jobs if you have your own business?

Anyone know?

I need a wine.
You can work for another tiler without a licence if you can find one that will take you on. I employ a tiler that has no licence or formal qualifications in tiling, he served an apprenticeship of sorts as a floor layer/carpet fitter. He's a damn good tiler and makes good money.
You can set up your own business and work as a tiler/painter or home handyman with out any kind of licence in QLD or NSW though you must limit the cost of each job inc materials to less than $1k [could have gone up a bit now]. You won't be able to work for any builders as they require a fully licenced/ insured tradesman. You may struggle to get paid as a lot of people are wise to the fact that they don't have to pay an unlicensed bloke a cent and there's nothing they can do about it, they don't have the backing of the QBSA or the master builders association a licenced bloke does.
In short you can get a licence if you have no qualifications you just need to have completed a period of employment as a tiler and be able to carry out all of the tasks on the job criteria. A letter from an employer stating you are capable of doing the tasks will be enough for you to start the process of applying for a licence. You will also need to be assessed on site on 2 or 3 jobs by an approved inspector prior to gaining the licence.
Search out some of my posts on trade licences it took me 9 months to get mine.
Good luck
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know?

I need a wine.
where are you going to, could you get a sponsor. They are crying out for tilers here in WA .
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for that information, I Hope to start my own tiling business when we get to Perth in a few months time. I have a couple of jobs lined up already and hope to take it from there. Cheers

John
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Thankyou for that information, I Hope to start my own tiling business when we get to Perth in a few months time. I have a couple of jobs lined up already and hope to take it from there. Cheers

John

Hope that you don't mind me asking this question,but my son who is also a Tiler in OZ is thinking of going on a working holiday to the U.K. and he was wondering, what is the work situation for Tilers in the U.K.
He has also been told that the money is not good.
As for tiling in OZ there is plenty of work,Adelaide,Melbourne, Perth, you will not have any problems getting work over here Im sure.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Hope that you don't mind me asking this question,but my son who is also a Tiler in OZ is thinking of going on a working holiday to the U.K. and he was wondering, what is the work situation for Tilers in the U.K.
He has also been told that the money is not good.
As for tiling in OZ there is plenty of work,Adelaide,Melbourne, Perth, you will not have any problems getting work over here Im sure.
A bit quiet at the moment, If he can get in with the right company the going rate is approx £25-£35 Sq mtr. Obviously the rate varies in different places. Good luck
John
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
A bit quiet at the moment, If he can get in with the right company the going rate is approx £25-£35 Sq mtr. Obviously the rate varies in different places. Good luck
John
Thanks nickyjohnt,
That rate is excellent,he will be pleased cheers
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

Originally Posted by cresta57
You can work for another tiler without a licence if you can find one that will take you on. I employ a tiler that has no licence or formal qualifications in tiling, he served an apprenticeship of sorts as a floor layer/carpet fitter. He's a damn good tiler and makes good money.
You can set up your own business and work as a tiler/painter or home handyman with out any kind of licence in QLD or NSW though you must limit the cost of each job inc materials to less than $1k [could have gone up a bit now]. You won't be able to work for any builders as they require a fully licenced/ insured tradesman. You may struggle to get paid as a lot of people are wise to the fact that they don't have to pay an unlicensed bloke a cent and there's nothing they can do about it, they don't have the backing of the QBSA or the master builders association a licenced bloke does.
In short you can get a licence if you have no qualifications you just need to have completed a period of employment as a tiler and be able to carry out all of the tasks on the job criteria. A letter from an employer stating you are capable of doing the tasks will be enough for you to start the process of applying for a licence. You will also need to be assessed on site on 2 or 3 jobs by an approved inspector prior to gaining the licence.
Search out some of my posts on trade licences it took me 9 months to get mine.
Good luck
Thanks for that information, it was really helpful. It sounds like the best way for him to start will be to find someone who is prepared to take him on for a while. Can I be cheeky and ask why it took so long to get the licence?

Thanks.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cranni
where are you going to, could you get a sponsor. They are crying out for tilers here in WA .
Hi, we arrived in Brisbane a few weeks ago. I think the trouble might be to find a tiler to take him on until he gets licensed. WA looks great, so we might end up there anyway.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 1:47 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that information, it was really helpful. It sounds like the best way for him to start will be to find someone who is prepared to take him on for a while. Can I be cheeky and ask why it took so long to get the licence?

Thanks.
Take a look at this old post from when it was fresh in my mind. It all seems so many stubbies ago now
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...75&postcount=7
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Take a look at this old post from when it was fresh in my mind. It all seems so many stubbies ago now
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...75&postcount=7
Hi.

A good post.

I am a tiler and from reading the post I take it you cannot do any well paid work unless you are licensed. The whole thing seems like a nightmare.
What do you do for a living until you get licensed?

Also I see another post dating back to 2004 where if you are a general builder you need all the relevant licenses to carry out the varied work. I know bathroom fitting is not a noticed trade but what do they do in Oz if someone wants a bathroom? I dont mean this with any sarcasm but do they have the nightmare of getting get every single trade in just like the old days, in my book those days are gone and outdated or at least in the u.k anyway.
You cannot get 1 tradesman in th u.k to arrive on time let alone 4 or 5 different tradespeople on 1 job!!!
Dont get me wrong I am all for legitimate rules e.t.c but all this red tape F"""" me off, all it does is cost the people trying to get on with it money and creates jobs for officials let alone the hassle to the customer. Come on electrics,gas e.t.c is fair enough but painting and tiling - give me a break.

One thing that pi""""""" me off with the u.k and europe is the red tape, however I have read many posts about Australia working practices and they seem even worse!!! What a nightmare.

To sum up it seems a lot harder to earn a living in Australia and when you do the pay is less even allowing for the lower living costs.

Please note this is not an anti Australian rant but an anti beuracracy rant in general - James.

Angry,confused, in-different
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
Hi.

A good post.

I am a tiler and from reading the post I take it you cannot do any well paid work unless you are licensed. The whole thing seems like a nightmare.

Also I see another post dating back to 2004 where if you are a general builder you need all the relevant licenses to carry out the varied work. I know bathroom fitting is not a noticed trade but what do they do in Oz if someone wants a bathroom? I dont mean this with any sarcasm but do they have the nightmare of getting get every single trade in just like the old days, in my book those days are gone and outdated or at least in the u.k anyway.
You cannot get 1 tradesman in th u.k to arrive on time let alone 4 or 5 different tradespeople on 1 job!!!
Dont get me wrong I am all for legitimate rules e.t.c but all this red tape F"""" me off, all it does is cost the people trying to get on with it money and creates jobs for officials let alone the hassle to the customer. Come on electrics,gas e.t.c is fair enough but painting and tiling - give me a break.

One thing that pi""""""" me off with the u.k and europe is the red tape, however I have read many posts about Australia working practices and they seem even worse!!! What a nightmare.

To sum up it seems a lot harder to earn a living in Australia and when you do the pay is less even allowing for the lower living costs.

Please note this is not an anti Australian rant but an anti beuracracy rant in general - James.

Some friends of ours just had a double internal doorway made into a single doorway they had a chippy a sparky a gyprock hanger and a gyprock setter plus a cornice guy along with a painter all turn up on a Saturday Co-ordination is possible and yep it's each to their own in Qld.
Don't even get me going on the testing and tagging every three months
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
Hi.

A good post.

This bollocks is a result of too powerful unions & governments (federal & state) that don't want to rock the boat.

Welcome to socialism at it's finest.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 11:46 pm

For anyone interested here's the list of competencies required for tiling:
Attached Thumbnails Painter or Tiler question-tiling-1.jpg   Painter or Tiler question-tiling-2.jpg   Painter or Tiler question-tiling-3.jpg   Painter or Tiler question-tiling-4.jpg  
Old Feb 4th 2006, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

For anyone interested here's the list of competencies required for tiling:
No wonder there is a shortage of tradespeople. What is the point of the TRA assessment if you have to go through another long process in order to get work when you arrive. My friend told me that her brother has worked in Perth as a postman for years (even though in England he was a qualified electrician). I could never see why he would do that until now!

Do you know of any companies that take tilers on (or do you just have to take any work you can find until the time comes to be assessed?

Thanks for all the info by the way. I have learnt more from you than all the official websites put together!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.