Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paid bond for exrta points "ouch"

Paid bond for exrta points "ouch"

Old Apr 26th 2003, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paid bond for exrta points "ouch"

Hi,We paid our $100,000 for the extra points this week to sa gov investment.We asked a few months ago if we could make the investment but were told to wait until request to do so.When we were going to do it before it worked out at £35,250 when we paid it this week it was £39,603 OUCH!!!Shitty rate of 2.525 dollars.Halewood are predicting that the rate may drop again with the target rate of 2.40 but I am not sure about that.I dont think you can predict these things using history alone.On the bright side the interest rates are better in oz. jockney
Old Apr 26th 2003, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

Hi Jockney

The Aus dollar is today $2.58. There is a rumour that U.K. interest rates will go up and this should help strengthen the pound as I understand it anyway.

Our funds will be clear to deposit next Thursday with South Australia Treasury (as long as their interest rates don't drop) so I am keeping a steady eye on the Aus $.

Hope you hear soon.

Good luck
Old Apr 26th 2003, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

pudnut is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi jockney sent you a pm!

Pudnut...
Old Apr 26th 2003, 3:10 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Paid bond for exrta points "ouch"

Originally posted by jockney
Hi,We paid our $100,000 for the extra points this week to sa gov investment.We asked a few months ago if we could make the investment but were told to wait until request to do so.When we were going to do it before it worked out at £35,250 when we paid it this week it was £39,603 OUCH!!!Shitty rate of 2.525 dollars.Halewood are predicting that the rate may drop again with the target rate of 2.40 but I am not sure about that.I dont think you can predict these things using history alone.On the bright side the interest rates are better in oz. jockney
I'll be round later with the smelling salts!
Old Apr 26th 2003, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Another step closer to OZ Jockney. We will be in the same boat eventually.

footie chick
Old Apr 26th 2003, 4:26 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PADDAD
There is a rumour that U.K. interest rates will go up
what rumour is that?

the latest vote (by MPC) was 7 hold & 2 for a 0.25% CUT.

More data will be available next month which is seen likely by many that a cut may happen then or in June, after a 'wait & see' policy taken by many of the committee this month

On exchange rates the MPC thought that likelyhood of further weakening had increased in the last month. Infact UK rates had increased in relation to the rest of the world, but this did not stengthen the £
Old Apr 26th 2003, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Jockney

It could be worse I paid £39,648 on Tuesday.

But nevermind its posted now just have to make some more money to move with.

Nearly there

Mark
Old Apr 27th 2003, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jockney

Just wandering something, if folks on this forumn have all this money why go to Australia? is it just the weather? almost 40 thousand pounds is a lot of money I thought the idea was for a better life when things at home were tough?????.
Honest this is not said to make anyone mad I am just puzzled..
Old Apr 27th 2003, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by april
Just wandering something, if folks on this forumn have all this money why go to Australia? is it just the weather? almost 40 thousand pounds is a lot of money I thought the idea was for a better life when things at home were tough?????.

It is not £40k to go to oz, its just 40k invested for a year with minimal returns.

Thanks

Terry
Old Apr 27th 2003, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

Hi April

It's really down to you whether or not you're happy to put up with paying out of your nose for everything, expensive housing, traffic congestion, overcrowding, long cues wherever you go, booking weeks/months in advance for almost everything (doesn't allow room for spontaneity), and finally being overtaken by illegal immigrants, to mention but a few. I could very easily add to this list.

Of course the UK isn't all bad and it has it's good points but for me those good points are far outweighed by the bad ones.
£40,000 is not going to improve your standard of living for all the reasons mentioned above.

I'm not foolish enough to think that Australia is perfect but out there the sun shines and there are bigger open spaces. Let's face it Australia is not an overpopulated island and it's got room to grow and we all need that.

Hope this clarifies things for you.
Old Apr 27th 2003, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PADDAD
Hi April
Of course the UK isn't all bad and it has it's good points but for me those good points are far outweighed by the bad ones.
£40,000 is not going to improve your standard of living for all the reasons mentioned above. .....

Hope this clarifies things for you.
Hi Di

Dont think you meant to say that

Terry
Old Apr 27th 2003, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Terry

You're right Terry, pushing some of those words out was like giving birth but I was trying with difficulty to give a balanced view.

Hope your application is going smoothly and you're not wilting under the strain of waiting.

All the best
Old Apr 27th 2003, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Diana

Have to agree with your thread. As we look at it 40K is our chance of a new and hopefully better less stressful life, yes we are forunate to have that money but if it doesn`t go towards Oz the tax man will come to get it. And the tax man gets far too much from us as it is.

footie chick
Old Apr 27th 2003, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi April,As people have already mentioned the40 grand is just bto be invested for 12 months but I can see by your reply that you did,nt mean that.I think your wrong if you think that people want to go to oz because things are desperate financially.As pointed out on this site time and time again australia is no bed of roses when it comes to making a fortune.Like ourselves when we say we want to better our lives we really mean our lifestyles.Life for us in the south east is to congested,hectic pace,expensive(you have to work longer and harder to survive)etc that is why we want to try something different.We have freinds there who have been there 22 years ,have young families and work hard for a living.They have not got fortunes saved but have a certain lifestyle that we find appealling.It does`nt matter how much money you have in this country there are somethings you cannot buy.Like space anywhere on a bank holiday. jockney
Old Apr 27th 2003, 9:52 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi April

I don't know about everyone else but our bond money was raised on our property. We are not 'cash rich'. If we were staying in the uk we would never see the money unless we downsized our home, which with 2 children is a long way off!

Steph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.