Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paediatric nurse from uk: family move to aus?!

Paediatric nurse from uk: family move to aus?!

Old Apr 8th 2017, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

hayl8858 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paediatric nurse from uk: family move to aus?!

Looking to make the leap from Uk to aus with 2 children 12 and 10!
spending hours researching but just wondering if anyone has been in the same boat? I am experienced in critical care for children and am hoping for a better quality of life for my kids? Considering Melbourne as call me strange but i like the thought of 4 seasons in a day...feels like home!! Just not sure on schools or suburbs or any if the important stuff!! Hopefull to obtain a 189 visa...if i do uproot us all that way it will be for good
Thanks
Old Apr 13th 2017, 11:42 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paediatric nurse from uk: family move to aus?!

Originally Posted by hayl8858
spending hours researching but just wondering if anyone has been in the same boat? I am experienced in critical care for children and am hoping for a better quality of life for my kids? Considering Melbourne as call me strange but i like the thought of 4 seasons in a day...feels like home!! Just not sure on schools or suburbs or any if the important stuff!! Hopefull to obtain a 189 visa...if i do uproot us all that way it will be for good
Thanks
Hi there

I can't help with the nursing stuff, but you could have a look in the main Australia forum - Australia - British Expats - for info on suburbs, schools, etc . I do know that Melbourne can be expensive housing wise (buying) and there can be lots of competition renting, but that's just from reading posts here - I've only visited once (very briefly) and did not like it (but I live in a quiet little town north of Adelaide )

Anyhoo, just wanted to say welcome , and hopefully someone will be a long soon with some nursing info.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Welcome � ����. I cant help with the nursing sruff either but i do live in Melbourne with two kids, so happy to help with schools, suburbs, etc.

The best place to live will be somewhat dictated by where you end up working, as Melbourne is quite big and, particularly if you are working shifts, you wont want to/be able to take public transport if you're finishing late at night.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

What does your "better quality of life" look like? chances are you are going to see just the same sort of stuff that you currently have where you are, unless you are in some godforsaken third world country. Think very carefully about that quality of life when it means that they won't be around extended family, isolation is often not an improvement.

If you fancy an adventure though and that is the adult itch that needs to be scratched then go for it by all means. The kids shouldn't be disadvantaged by a move unless you decide down the track that it isn't for you after all and you need to get them back into the UK education system, then it could be tricky. Cant help with the nursing, sorry.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 2:11 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Are you degree qualified? AFAIK you will need to be to get registration by APHRA
Old Apr 14th 2017, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
What does your "better quality of life" look like? chances are you are going to see just the same sort of stuff that you currently have where you are, unless you are in some godforsaken third world country. Think very carefully about that quality of life when it means that they won't be around extended family, isolation is often not an improvement.

If you fancy an adventure though and that is the adult itch that needs to be scratched then go for it by all means. The kids shouldn't be disadvantaged by a move unless you decide down the track that it isn't for you after all and you need to get them back into the UK education system, then it could be tricky. Cant help with the nursing, sorry.
I agree with Quoll, your post is very vague. A trip back to the UK for a family of four at peak times could cost you upto 10K AU$ maybe more depending on the time of year.. The housing market is pretty mental here, but since you are a nurse your options of living out of the CBD are better, and thus finding a place further from central Melbourne.

Aside from that that Melbourne is a wonderful city and would be a great place to bring your kids up and offers a great quality of living.

Not sure what part of the UK you are coming from and if you already have equity in a property but the dream you want may not be a reality.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 10:27 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Hi, I am a U.K. Trained nurse (psych not Paeds)
Australia is fab for kids, we haven't regretted the move at all. Ours were 13 and 10 when we moved. Just don't leave it too much longer as it gets harder to move them the older they get.

Nursing ratios in NSW (not sure about other states) are governed by the award and are so much better than the UK.

I can't comment on Melbourne other than to say most people around here love to visit there for the weekend but wouldn't move there as too cold in winter.
I'm on the NSW coast.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Sam13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am a paeds (cardiac and ITU) nurse looking to move out with my 3 children, age 7, 11 and 13. I am Diploma trained so applying for NZ registration (we were originally planning to go to NZ so had already started application for there) and hoping to transfer it to OZ nursing reg through the Trans Tasman Agreement.

It's a very slow process, it's taken me over 3 months so far to gather all the evidence needed (inc doing the IELTS English test) to apply to NCNZ, then if that's approved I can start applying for OZ skills assessment then visas & APHRA. Facebook group UK nurses applying for APHRA and ANMAC skills assessment is really useful for specific nursing application stuff. Good luck!