Padbury WA

Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all
Default Padbury WA

Anybody live in Padbury? Just wondering what it's like - it seems lovely and well positioned for getting into Perth.

Does it have any facilities for young children or clubs for pre-teens? I notice it has a shopping centre, but no idea how big it is or which shops are in it.

Any information at all would be much appreciated - thanks
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all
Default Re: Padbury WA

Also meant to say, if anybody has information about Padbury South Primary School, then that would be great too
Old Jul 31st 2010, 11:36 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Padbury is ok. Cheaper suburb of its neighbours like Duncraig, Hillarys, Sorrento. Fair bit of rentals, but also there are quite good pockets of nice areas.

Know idea of school. Mine went to Glengarry Primary in Duncraig and they all turned out ok....................... well kinda sorta.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:08 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
Also meant to say, if anybody has information about Padbury South Primary School, then that would be great too
You may not have seen this website?
http://www.myschool.edu.au/Main.aspx...endarYear=2009

Regards

Neil
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the link - I hadn't seen that before and it looks like the school is pretty good going on that. Well, it's above average in achievements anyway.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the link - I hadn't seen that before and it looks like the school is pretty good going on that. Well, it's above average in achievements anyway.
If you are planning on living there long term I would check out the high school first http://www.myschool.edu.au/Main.aspx...SDRSchoolId=WA G0000004147&DEEWRId=14918&CalendarYear=2009
Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, I had noticed the high school tables were below average - not so good. Only need to consider the primary school at the moment thank goodness.

We have definitely decided to settle in Padbury, at least for a year or two. Not long to go now, and we are not organised at all -
Old Aug 1st 2010, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Thanks for that, I had noticed the high school tables were below average - not so good. Only need to consider the primary school at the moment thank goodness.

We have definitely decided to settle in Padbury, at least for a year or two. Not long to go now, and we are not organised at all -
We thought that when we came here too - big mistake! High school comes round faster than you think especially as the starting year is now likely to be brought forward to year 7 for public schools. Unfortunately we bought our house so we are now faced with either having to pay for 3 kids at private school or the costs of moving. Hindsight is a wonderful thing
Good luck with your move.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hoveactually
We thought that when we came here too - big mistake! High school comes round faster than you think especially as the starting year is now likely to be brought forward to year 7 for public schools. Unfortunately we bought our house so we are now faced with either having to pay for 3 kids at private school or the costs of moving. Hindsight is a wonderful thing
Good luck with your move.
Which public high school are you in the catchment of? Is it really that bad? We definitely won't be buying in the foreseeable future, just no way we could afford to, so it will be rentals all the way for us.

I think it might be worth reading those school tables alongside lots of other info about the school, because I suppose it only takes a handful of pupils to bring the results down to below average - it may still be an excellent school. Also, if your kids are prepared to put in the effort and have support from home then they will probably be fine in any reasonable school. On the other hand if parents of children already at the school are telling you that it's rubbish, or that their children are totally underachieving, then I don't blame you for looking at private education.

Tis not easy being a parent and trying to get it right all the time is it?
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Which public high school are you in the catchment of? Is it really that bad? We definitely won't be buying in the foreseeable future, just no way we could afford to, so it will be rentals all the way for us.

I think it might be worth reading those school tables alongside lots of other info about the school, because I suppose it only takes a handful of pupils to bring the results down to below average - it may still be an excellent school. Also, if your kids are prepared to put in the effort and have support from home then they will probably be fine in any reasonable school. On the other hand if parents of children already at the school are telling you that it's rubbish, or that their children are totally underachieving, then I don't blame you for looking at private education.

Tis not easy being a parent and trying to get it right all the time is it?
Clarkson Community High School is our catchment school at the moment. There are numerous threads on the topic of high schools in the Northern suburbs which are always contentious. I would just say that Clarkson is not my choice for my children.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

From various teacher contacts I have Padbury South is reckoned to be a good little primary school. The only real concern comes when it's High School time - there are some schools you would want to avoid and the private schools in the area have VERY long waiting lists. If you are a new arrival for example, you can expect a wait of more than 5 years to get into St. Stephens school if at all.

Padbury is a good place if you can get a really good size block. Some parts of it are a bit rough [not as rough as some areas though] but I reckon it will only improve in the next 5-10 years as it's still close to the city. Duncraig, Sorrento etc. are nicer areas but you will pay extra to live there. When I was looking there were more rentals available in Padbury than Duncraig. Be aware that some places offered for rent are rather decrepit to be honest.

There is another area of Padbury called 'Hepburn Heights' which is much newer than the rest of Padbury but commands much higher prices.

The shops are fine; a supermarket, various takeaways, chemist, pool shop, hairdresser, bottle shop etc.

Last edited by hoofie2002; Aug 2nd 2010 at 2:16 am.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:20 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Padbury was our 1st rental place we had when we first arrived.
It has a nice little shopping centre, a couple of petrol stations close and video shop.
My son was just going on high school age and did not go to Padbury high school, we went and visited the school but one of the parents said on the way out not to put our child into the school and to read the papers. It would seem there had been some brick throwing at a parents car. I thought about it and went to St Stephens and got a place no problem which I did think was extremely good luck.

All in all though I am not a fan of the education system here at all. They seem to forget about the kids who need help, St Stephens let my son get away with years of not doing homework, we found out once a year if lucky, they really did not care. I took him out in year 10 and put him in tafe instead where they quickly found he had a disability which the school was told about but did not believe as his iQ was so high.

He is now looking for a job and will need a disability placement company to help him.

Jen