Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Packing yourself?

Packing yourself?

Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about
Default Packing yourself?

I am in the midst of quotes for packing all with them packing for you, but have thought i will be sorting out all the drawers and stuff as i go and would rather pack myself. I know there is questions over insurance but just had a quote from letton percival and that only includes transit not packing and unpacking which we would do anyway. I have just spoke to ATO shipping about theit service where we pack and they load up this end take to Birmingham where it goes onto the container, goes to address in Oz and they leave boxes for us to unpack.

Any advice from people who have packed them selves greatlly appreciated. I need to make a decision asap and need to know where to get packing materials etc!!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:35 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Packing yourself?

Originally Posted by iainandsam
I am in the midst of quotes for packing all with them packing for you, but have thought i will be sorting out all the drawers and stuff as i go and would rather pack myself. I know there is questions over insurance but just had a quote from letton percival and that only includes transit not packing and unpacking which we would do anyway. I have just spoke to ATO shipping about theit service where we pack and they load up this end take to Birmingham where it goes onto the container, goes to address in Oz and they leave boxes for us to unpack.

Any advice from people who have packed them selves greatlly appreciated. I need to make a decision asap and need to know where to get packing materials etc!!
check the small print on letton percival it doesn't cover storage.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

Is there any insurance companies that do cover for this do you know?
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light

hi, we packed ourselves when we emigrated to Australia (2005) I thought it was a good idea at the time!!!!! but it seemed to take forever to pack, and caused me LOTS of stress, which you do not need as emigrating is very stressful anyway.
But when we moved back to the Uk, we got Kent removals in, & it took them next to no time. I watched them pack my kitchen up, & they did it soooooo fast, and i thought, that would of taken me a good 2-3 days to of done that.
I would definately use a company rather than do it myself.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paula 1
hi, we packed ourselves when we emigrated to Australia (2005) I thought it was a good idea at the time!!!!! but it seemed to take forever to pack, and caused me LOTS of stress, which you do not need as emigrating is very stressful anyway.
But when we moved back to the Uk, we got Kent removals in, & it took them next to no time. I watched them pack my kitchen up, & they did it soooooo fast, and i thought, that would of taken me a good 2-3 days to of done that.
I would definately use a company rather than do it myself.
Thanks for the advice i had been thinking that myself!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

We have just sent off our stuff on Friday having packed it all ourselves. I thing the real advantage is that you question every item being packed and it saves a fortune. The maths came down to: sending this box costs £22.50 (small) or £45 (large)- are the contents worth it or not?

We ordered 60 empty boxes and this ruthlessness got us down to 27 plus one bike and a set of golf clubs only- not bad for 3 people in a 3-bed house. Final costs went from over £2000 for 60 boxes to £1100 for the 27(+2).

The professional packers don't know if every single item is worth taking- only you can decide that by going through your possessions with a fine toothcomb.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:33 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

self packed jobs come under more scrutiny ,with AQIS and Customs........mm
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:16 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iainandsam

I packed myself, used Anglo Pacific, they provided all the boxes.

Ensure you do an itinery: of whats in each box, it's value etc,

I loved doing it as I could take my time, you know two boxes a day until all ready to go.

I even took them down to London to the shipping company to save more money.

We was insured for storage, extra fee. But still worked out much much cheaper than getting packers in.

Doing it yourself also allows you to have a spring clean in the process.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
I packed myself, used Anglo Pacific, they provided all the boxes.

Did you get a special reinforced box with air holes in the top? Or was it something along the lines of a dog crate, say for a St. Bernards?
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:30 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Did you get a special reinforced box with air holes in the top? Or was it something along the lines of a dog crate, say for a St. Bernards?

I specified the size of the box and they were good. Referred to as Tea Chests.

I used 26 boxes in the end.

Cost me 1000 GBP to ship it all to my door in Brisbane.

I still have a couple left, very strong, double fluted cardboard.

None were damaged in transit and all my stuff arrived on time.