Packing regrets

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough
Cool Packing regrets

Starting to seriously cull my wardrobe and belongings. Not sure what to take or leave behind.

To everyone who has made the long journey in the metal bird, is there anything that you didn't take, that you regret not taking.

(Please, please, please don't talk about baggage allowance - I know that I can have more, but i won't be able to carry it / will be facing divorce for taking too much!!)

Rachel.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 2:49 pm

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice
Default Re: Packing regrets

Originally Posted by aussiesoon
Starting to seriously cull my wardrobe and belongings. Not sure what to take or leave behind.

To everyone who has made the long journey in the metal bird, is there anything that you didn't take, that you regret not taking.

(Please, please, please don't talk about baggage allowance - I know that I can have more, but i won't be able to carry it / will be facing divorce for taking too much!!)

Rachel.
Going with just 2 bags of stuff. Getting rid of all the junk I've accumulated here has been the most liberating experience of my life....then again, I'm not there yet.....
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Packing regrets

Awwww Rachel,
it will all be worth it in the end, just take what you can and sod the husband! Your going to a new life enjoy the moment,
luv lace n family
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Pjay79 will become famous soon enoughPjay79 will become famous soon enough

I feel for you, but i would say make the most of the baggage allowance you do have, by taking only stuff you really like or that fits you properly. If you look at it and think " It might come in handy" or "I'll wear that if...." then it probably isn't worth it.

Use the opportunity to have a big clean out and remember there are always the Aussie clothes shops and the excuse then to hubby can be "you wouldn't let me bring it all....."

Hope it isn't too hard for you to part with things. Good Luck
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pjay79
Use the opportunity to have a big clean out and remember there are always the Aussie clothes shops and the excuse then to hubby can be "you wouldn't let me bring it all....."
great idea! Thanks for the advice.

Rachel.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

FITCHETT FAMILY will become famous soon enough

Rachel.
Hi Rachel,
Sounds like a great plan, throw anything your not sure of or give it away and then get there and tell Hubby you have no clothes, bring on the shopping!
We have been out and bought 3 new large cases, we have 2 already and 2 smaller ones plus we are each taking a ruck-sack but there is 5 of us and we are'nt shipping anything. We are going to get the 40kg with singapore and make the most of it.
Hope all goes well for you
Tina
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Fitchetts,
When and where are you off to?
Rachel.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Fitchetts,
When and where are you off to?
Rachel.
Hi Rachel,
Hoping to go May and heading for Geelong, Melbourne.
Final paperwork sent beginning of month and being very optamistic that we will hear very soon!
Its that bad I cant get a lie-in coz Im waiting for postie! ( Even on Sunday!! )
Have you got your Visa?
Tina
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Rachel.
Don't cull too much you'll regret it! I left lots of my clothes in oz when we returned to the uk and so regret it! I left heavy items like my jeans etc and have since had to buy loads more. The things I took and never really wore in oz were jeans (funnily enough). The things I took that I did wear daily were skirts, vest tops, bikini tops, light summer tops etc All of those things are really light and you can get them cheaply at the mo in the sales!
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by glittababe
Don't cull too much you'll regret it! I left lots of my clothes in oz when we returned to the uk and so regret it! I left heavy items like my jeans etc and have since had to buy loads more. The things I took and never really wore in oz were jeans (funnily enough). The things I took that I did wear daily were skirts, vest tops, bikini tops, light summer tops etc All of those things are really light and you can get them cheaply at the mo in the sales!
Top Tip Glittababe, I think I feel a shop coming on and I can justify it coz you said so! Makes alot of sense to take lots of light clothes but think my best jeans will have to come with me!
Thanks
Tina
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Yes we have got our visas in our passports (pre-July application, therefore took about 18 months - long, hard road).

We're off to Port Macquarie in NSW.

Can't wait!

Rachel.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 7:37 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Rachel.

Don't not bring winter things because you think you won't need them, chances are you will or you'll end up going on holiday (like I did to ski) and have to go and buy coats and jumpers etc all over again! Throw your favourite stuff in too. As GB has said, you can buy cheap summer stuff over here all year round, so shorts & tshirts aren't so important to bring in abudance.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Stupid question:-

What do people wear to work? I'll probably be working as a teacher or literacy consultant and here in the UK would wear a suit, usually a trouser suit. Will I need suits in Oz? What about interviews, are people more casual for these?

Thanks (trying not to go into a flat spin about work clothes!)

Rachel.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:21 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Stupid question:-

What do people wear to work? I'll probably be working as a teacher or literacy consultant and here in the UK would wear a suit, usually a trouser suit. Will I need suits in Oz? What about interviews, are people more casual for these?

Thanks (trying not to go into a flat spin about work clothes!)

Rachel.
Not a stupid question.

An interview is an interview so I would wear a suit. Depending on where you are in the country you might want to modify that. Here in Brisbane I tend to wear suit pants/skirts but rarely bring a jacket with me, as its just too hot.
Currently sat at work in black suit pants, and a black & white wool type top - jacket stayed at home this morning as it was 25C when I left at 7am
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Not a stupid question.

An interview is an interview so I would wear a suit. Depending on where you are in the country you might want to modify that. Here in Brisbane I tend to wear suit pants/skirts but rarely bring a jacket with me, as its just too hot.
Currently sat at work in black suit pants, and a black & white wool type top - jacket stayed at home this morning as it was 25C when I left at 7am
Thanks! I'm thinking about bringing a couple of smart shift dresses for interviews, a black jacket plus a couple of pairs of trousers and then buying a lot of work wear depending upon what I'm doing.

It's these sorts of things that nobody tells you (sorry about the grammar - I'm falling asleep!)
Rachel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.