British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   this packing malarky. help needed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/packing-malarky-help-needed-252684/)

JayDeee Sep 4th 2004 7:53 am

this packing malarky. help needed

Hi Guys,

We have PSS coming next monday to pack my life up and get it all sent over, we are away next weekend so this is the only time we have to do it and I am goin round in circles.

I have emptied a bedroom and as I go through things everything that is goin to Australia is being put in that room. I am making a "car boot pile" an important P/W pile and a load of piles of things that I really dont know what to do with. All it seems is that I am goin through piles and making lots of new smaller piles. I'm sure in the end it will al fal into place but right now I cant see that I am getting anywhere.

Anyway, with all the stuff in the room of stuff to go, is there anything in particular I am suposed to be doing with it? do I need to make the lists or do the removal people do that? Again that room has different piles ie the bedding is in one pile, the ornaments are in another etc etc is this right or am I totally cocking everything up.

Do I need to Jeyes fluid all my shoes?

Can anyone who has already done this please let me now I I am doing this right? and any tips would be fantastic

Cheers
Kala (stressed from Crawley)

walla Sep 4th 2004 8:00 am

Re: this packing malarky. help needed

Originally Posted by kala
Hi Guys,

We have PSS coming next monday to pack my life up and get it all sent over, we are away next weekend so this is the only time we have to do it and I am goin round in circles.

I have emptied a bedroom and as I go through things everything that is goin to Australia is being put in that room. I am making a "car boot pile" an important P/W pile and a load of piles of things that I really dont know what to do with. All it seems is that I am goin through piles and making lots of new smaller piles. I'm sure in the end it will al fal into place but right now I cant see that I am getting anywhere.

Anyway, with all the stuff in the room of stuff to go, is there anything in particular I am suposed to be doing with it? do I need to make the lists or do the removal people do that? Again that room has different piles ie the bedding is in one pile, the ornaments are in another etc etc is this right or am I totally cocking everything up.

Do I need to Jeyes fluid all my shoes?

Can anyone who has already done this please let me now I I am doing this right? and any tips would be fantastic

Cheers
Kala (stressed from Crawley)

Hi Kala

Well, I'm as confused as you!! We have our shippers coming on the 13th and we have junk everywhere, and haven't even started on the loft yet. Jeyes fluid on shoes only if they stink!!!

Doing the same as you thou, everything is being piled in our front room- eventually.

Have some karma for ya troubles!! ;)

Walla

JayDeee Sep 4th 2004 8:09 am

Originally Posted by walla1
Hi Kala

Well, I'm as confused as you!! We have our shippers coming on the 13th and we have junk everywhere, and haven't even started on the loft yet. Jeyes fluid on shoes only if they stink!!!

Doing the same as you thou, everything is being piled in our front room- eventually.

Have some karma for ya troubles!! ;)

Walla

Same day as me Walla, There was me thinking it was quite posh getting people in to pack but to be honest I might as well be doing it myself.

Thanks for the Karma (i'l give ya some later but I have to spread my love before I am allowed to give you any more) and good luck with all the packing. Definately a jack daniels night tonight eh.

Kala

scutterUK Sep 4th 2004 8:16 am

hi kala,

if it's any consolation for you i was doing the same back in august. I had piles with piles (eew). I ended up with rooms for things to go and things to stay. Anything i wasn't sure about was put in the 'to stay' room and was left to be sorted after the shippers had been through the house. In the end i just had 1 big pile in each 'to go' room and the lads packed, wrapped, labeled, listed and loaded everything. All i had to was make drinks. I felt like a spare wheel. They said everything was well organised though, and a million times better than what they usually have to deal with so i must have done something right.

My only advice would be to keep going through your stuff, quickly go through it all and sort in to what you want to take and not. Then go keep going through it until you're 100% sure about everything. Then go back and clean. :D

When it happens the shippers are in and out before you have time to panic, so dont worry, good luck!! :)

AngnPaul Sep 4th 2004 8:21 am

[QUOTE=kala]Hi Guys,

Hi, we aren't as far on as you but we have got PSS coming next week to give us a quote for our stuff. Are you taking everything? Did PSS help you with what can/can't be taken in? Did you get quotes from other companies? Do you know when it will be setting sail?
When will you be leaving?
Sorry, I know you will be very busy, but if you get a chance would appreciate some tips.

I know another member had to pay to have 3 pairs of shoes cleaned at customs so perhaps Jeyes now would be quicker/easier/cheaper!

Good luck with everything :D
Can't wait until it's us too.

Angie :)

walla Sep 4th 2004 8:21 am

Same day as me Walla, There was me thinking it was quite posh getting people in to pack but to be honest I might as well be doing it myself.

Thanks for the Karma (i'l give ya some later but I have to spread my love before I am allowed to give you any more) and good luck with all the packing. Definately a jack daniels night tonight eh.

Kala

Hi Kala

Won't let me karma you. I'll have to owe you!!

Def a Dr Jack tonight for you then, enjoy. I'm off out to the Toon for me last night out with the boys, we leave for Oz on the 16th, when you heading out?

Walla

JayDeee Sep 4th 2004 8:22 am

Originally Posted by scutterUK
hi kala,

if it's any consolation for you i was doing the same back in august. I had piles with piles (eew). I ended up with rooms for things to go and things to stay. Anything i wasn't sure about was put in the 'to stay' room and was left to be sorted after the shippers had been through the house. In the end i just had 1 big pile in each 'to go' room and the lads packed, wrapped, labeled, listed and loaded everything. All i had to was make drinks. I felt like a spare wheel. They said everything was well organised though, and a million times better than what they usually have to deal with so i must have done something right.

My only advice would be to keep going through your stuff, quickly go through it all and sort in to what you want to take and not. Then go keep going through it until you're 100% sure about everything. Then go back and clean. :D

When it happens the shippers are in and out before you have time to panic, so dont worry, good luck!! :)

Cheers Scutter, Maybe if I got my butt away from this coputer and got on with what I am supposed to be doing I might start getting somewhere

Kala

philj6969 Sep 4th 2004 8:24 am

Hi Kala,

We are hopefully starting the packing fun in 3 or 4 weeks. We have decided to hire a skip to get rid of all the tired and worn out stuff, and to give away nearly all of our furniture to the furniture charity, Furni-aid.

I am from Ifield and work at the college, which bit of Crawley are you in & where are you going to? We are off to the Sunshine coast, by the Glasshouse Mountains.

Phil.

JayDeee Sep 4th 2004 8:30 am

Originally Posted by philj6969
Hi Kala,

We are hopefully starting the packing fun in 3 or 4 weeks. We have decided to hire a skip to get rid of all the tired and worn out stuff, and to give away nearly all of our furniture to the furniture charity, Furni-aid.

I am from Ifield and work at the college, which bit of Crawley are you in & where are you going to? We are off to the Sunshine coast, by the Glasshouse Mountains.

Phil.

We are in West Green and being as you are so close I think you should get round here and help ;)

We rent so dont have much furniture to take only some garden furniture and my Bar the rest is all just odds and ends (a lot of them)

It realy is a lot harder than you immagine I cant believe how much crap I own.

We are off to Geraldton 4-5 hrs north of Perth, Hubby is from there and we have just bought a backpakers hostel which we take over on the 1st Nov

Good luck with your packing in a few weeks

Kala

philj6969 Sep 4th 2004 8:38 am

We are in West Green and being as you are so close I think you should get round here and help ;)

We rent so dont have much furniture to take only some garden furniture and my Bar the rest is all just odds and ends (a lot of them)

It realy is a lot harder than you immagine I cant believe how much crap I own.

We are off to Geraldton 4-5 hrs north of Perth, Hubby is from there and we have just bought a backpakers hostel which we take over on the 1st Nov

Good luck with your packing in a few weeks

Kala

My friend Lenny (works at the airport, daughter Leonie has a horse) was telling me about his friend that had bought a backpackers hostel, would that be you?

Phil

JayDeee Sep 4th 2004 8:40 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by walla1
Hi Kala

Won't let me karma you. I'll have to owe you!!

Def a Dr Jack tonight for you then, enjoy. I'm off out to the Toon for me last night out with the boys, we leave for Oz on the 16th, when you heading out?

Walla

My hubby had his night out with the boys on thurs and was a very naughty boy and got so Shi=*aced he decided to invite them all back to party all night and was not a very well boy so I had to look after him all night when I had work the next day (45 mins sleep)

got the attached picture for my troubles so if you intend on being half as naughty tonight you might want to get on to the florist today

We are leaving on about the 20th october to take over the business on 1st Nov, I might have to stay here for another month for work and will follow Ant out a month later. Moving to my dads on the 17th so al gotta be out of the house by then

Kala

walla Sep 4th 2004 8:43 am

My hubby had his night out with the boys on thurs and was a very naughty boy and got so Shi=*aced he decided to invite them all back to party all night and was not a very well boy so I had to look after him all night when I had work the next day (45 mins sleep)

got the attached picture for my troubles so if you intend on being half as naughty tonight you might want to get on to the florist today

We are leaving on about the 20th october to take over the business on 1st Nov, I might have to stay here for another month for work and will follow Ant out a month later. Moving to my dads on the 17th so al gotta be out of the house by then

Kala

I'm never naughty ;) But my friends are!!

We are heading to London for 2 days on the 16th, leave for Singapore from Heathrow on the 18th for 3 days then land in Perth on the 21st :scared:

Good luck with all Kala

Walla

JayDeee Sep 4th 2004 8:46 am

[QUOTE=AngnPaul]

Hi Guys,

Hi, we aren't as far on as you but we have got PSS coming next week to give us a quote for our stuff. Are you taking everything? Did PSS help you with what can/can't be taken in? Did you get quotes from other companies? Do you know when it will be setting sail?
When will you be leaving?
Sorry, I know you will be very busy, but if you get a chance would appreciate some tips.

I know another member had to pay to have 3 pairs of shoes cleaned at customs so perhaps Jeyes now would be quicker/easier/cheaper!

Good luck with everything :D
Can't wait until it's us too.

Angie :)

As it has all been very rushed since we got back last weekend I didn't have time to get PSS in for a quote, I had already had Crown round so called all the others with the ammount Crown had quoted on and took it from there. From comments on here about shippers it came down to PSS or Crown and PSS were 250 cheaper so thought that gave me a bit of leway if it was actually over the cubic foot Crown had quoted on.

I hve no idea when it will be setting sail but it should be within week or so after they have collected.
I got the info of what can and can't be taken form this site and as my stuff is mostly personal items i'm pretty OK, Cant take my Paxo stuffing tho which is a bit upsetting.

I'l let you know how it all goes but PSS seem to be highly rated on here

JayDeee Sep 4th 2004 8:50 am

Originally Posted by philj6969
My friend Lenny (works at the airport, daughter Leonie has a horse) was telling me about his friend that had bought a backpackers hostel, would that be you?

Phil

I dont think I know anyone called Lenny, does he work in Bagage handling? if so then he might work with my house mate in which case my hubby probably knows him through my flat mate and it could be us.
That sounds very confusing but i'm sure you get the drift.

Kala

philj6969 Sep 4th 2004 9:02 am

I dont think I know anyone called Lenny, does he work in Bagage handling? if so then he might work with my house mate in which case my hubby probably knows him through my flat mate and it could be us.
That sounds very confusing but i'm sure you get the drift.

Kala

Yes, he does work in baggage, its a small world isnt it!

Phil.