Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Packing inventory...

Packing inventory...

Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all
Default Packing inventory...

Hi All,

We had the packers here today, and must say I'm a little dubious about their methods....I was always under the impression that each box had to have a list attached to the side detailing the contents of each box for AQIS....This mob have simply scrawled on the box in 'permanent' marker (which wipes off easily) 'boys toys' ,' kitchen stuff' etc.....Does this sound acceptable to you guys???
Thanks for your advice in advance.....They are back in the morning, so I want to be ready for them.!!
Tanya
Old Jul 6th 2006, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Packing inventory...

Originally Posted by midwifetanya
Hi All,

We had the packers here today, and must say I'm a little dubious about their methods....I was always under the impression that each box had to have a list attached to the side detailing the contents of each box for AQIS....This mob have simply scrawled on the box in 'permanent' marker (which wipes off easily) 'boys toys' ,' kitchen stuff' etc.....Does this sound acceptable to you guys???
Thanks for your advice in advance.....They are back in the morning, so I want to be ready for them.!!
Tanya

When me and hubby moved from Germany, our packers labelled them in numerical order and for each box there were 2 sheets of paper which had a list what was in the box. One set went with the packers and the other we kept.
Hope this helps.
Mandy
Old Jul 6th 2006, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Tanya
What your packers are doing should be enough for customs as long as they can still read the content description. Have you tried wiping off the marker yourself? If it does come off easily, tell the packers, or phone their company immediately to let them know it's not acceptable.

While our packers were packing, I was scribbling down roughly in a list what they put in each box, without getting in their way, so that I would know which boxes to unpack first when the shipment was delivered.

Make sure any box containing wood items, christmas decorations, and shoes are marked clearly to save customs from having to open all your boxes to find and inspect them. Yes, they were very interested in the cleaniness of our shoes.

And one last thing, hope they did write "boys toys", not "toy boys"!

Good luck,
Mrs JTL
Old Jul 6th 2006, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

OK, just spent the day sorting thru what is and isn't going from my tool shed. Apart from the spare tools, which are brand new, and the toolboxes which are, NOW, pristine, I have lots of plastic boxes with assorted screws, nuts, bolts and washers etc. Some of this stuff has got the inevitable 'dust' on. What's the score here then?
Old Jul 6th 2006, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Hi All,

Tanya
Hi Tanya, we're from Ricky originally.

We used John Masons and they did the same. Came into the house and just whacked loads of stuff into boxes and wrote on the outside in marker pen what was in there roughly and which room it had come from. For example: one box had a child's car seat and some of the pram bits. On the box it said, 'pram parts, Garage' Another had, 'Tools, car seat, flippers'

I too was a little surprised and thought every single item had to be listed for customs so queried this with the supervisor. He said for Oz it's fine to put down what is mainly in the box but for other countries eg Middle Eastern you have to list every single item.

Our stuff arrived without any problems.

I sorted and threw, gave away a load of stuff as I thought it would be a hassle having it listed. I now wish I had taken much of what was left behind.

I would however be worried about the pen being wiped off.

Good Luck!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 2:10 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Tanya

Hi Tanya,
I am a bit worried about your packing company... they seem a bit slack , esp what you said about half filled boxes . Did you talk to the company?
Who are your packers?
Hope this gets sorted so that you can get on with the partying before you go
Good luck