Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Packing help please?

Packing help please?

Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:31 am
sunseekers

sunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to all
Question Packing help please?

We finaly move out of our house this friday :scared: the packers are coming thursday 8am omg! no turning back now!as soon as the moneys transfered we are booking flights, car ,accomodation etc etc.Can anyone give me a bit of advise on packing certain things,as we have started boxing stuff up already and dont want to have to re-do it all on thursday!

1 how clean is clean as regards to shoes, mowers, and bikes
2 are all of my boxes likely to be opened
3 do the packers wrap the cardboard boxes in a water proof wrap or is it best to put your stuff in bags
4 any problems with copied dvds and xbox games (kids must have 150 at least)
5 if youve put clothes and pics in a box is that ok to be put on the lable or do you need to be very specific
6 is there a weight limit on boxes
7 my wooden furniture is going too ,if it has to be fumigated their end how much is it likely to cost or do they fumigate the whole shipment

thanks for any help, tips, or advice in advance il let you know how it all goes soon x Adam
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

sunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant future
Default Re: Packing help please?

Originally Posted by sunseekers
We finaly move out of our house this friday :scared: the packers are coming thursday 8am omg! no turning back now!as soon as the moneys transfered we are booking flights, car ,accomodation etc etc.Can anyone give me a bit of advise on packing certain things,as we have started boxing stuff up already and dont want to have to re-do it all on thursday!

1 how clean is clean as regards to shoes, mowers, and bikes
2 are all of my boxes likely to be opened
3 do the packers wrap the cardboard boxes in a water proof wrap or is it best to put your stuff in bags
4 any problems with copied dvds and xbox games (kids must have 150 at least)
5 if youve put clothes and pics in a box is that ok to be put on the lable or do you need to be very specific
6 is there a weight limit on boxes
7 my wooden furniture is going too ,if it has to be fumigated their end how much is it likely to cost or do they fumigate the whole shipment

thanks for any help, tips, or advice in advance il let you know how it all goes soon x Adam
Hi, can't help on some of your queries, but our experience was that about 10% of boxes were opened apparantly randomly.
Have been told that boxes labled 'kitchen' 'christmas' and 'shoes' are more than likely to be checked.
Our packers were no more specific with labelling than writing 'kitchen', 'kids room' etc on boxes.
I started steam cleaning tyres on the bikes, but soon got fed up with that and just gave them a good scrubbing with Jeyes Fluid and made sure there was no visible dirt.
We didn't clean our tools at all.
I tried to do the same with the shoes - no visible dirt - but the one pair I forgot and brought covered in mud was missed by quarantine (even though they were in a box they had inspected)!
We have a lot of copied DVD's, I don't think they are interested as long as it doesn't look like you could be importing them to sell.
All my vital documents, passport etc, and handbag got locked in the car out of the way, just incase because the packers work so fast.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 7:08 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

Be very careful what you pack into plastic bags. The humidity on the container can get quite high and therefore things in plastic bags could sweat and then damage the contents. Everything that has been in contact with the outdoors needs to be spotless. Wash, steam clean and disinfect shoes, bikes, scooters, dolls pram wheels, garden equipment and tools, roller skates, skipping ropes etc. We used Virkon-S and this does not smell like jeyes fluid can. We then put a label on everything that we cleaned and stated which disinfectant we had used as well as it's batch code just so they could double check if needed. The only wooden furniture I think they will look at closely would be antiques and anything that has been outside, otherwise you should be ok. Just make sure it's clean and has no dirt or leaves from plants etc. Most of our boxes just stated which room it came from, so mixing things in a box should be fine. Just make sure there are no fir cones in your xmas decoration boxes! One really good thing to do is designate an entire cupboard or wardrobe and then place a poster saying do not touch. Then you can use this for stuff that you are keeping with you. Normally when the packers arrive they ask you to take them around the house to point things out and then you tell them about cupboards that you don't want them to go in. Good luck.

Lorraine
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sunseekers can't believe your nearly there. It only seems like 5 minutes ago we were at the Meet up. Got our meds tomorrow at Handsworth and our house sale is going through, so hopefully won't be long before we are off. Who are you using to ship your furniture with.

All the best in the future,

Stacey and Jordan