Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Packing-any logical suggestions of where to start?

Packing-any logical suggestions of where to start?

Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Packing-any logical suggestions of where to start?

Ok, so I have 3 weeks left in France then I will return to the UK for a month before departing for Brisbane. I feel a bit overwhelmed as to where to start with my packing! Most of our household stuff is already boxed and ready to go but thinking of everything I will need for potentially 4 months (luckily all warmish weather) is daunting! My husband and myself will have 40kg each (he is taking his bicycle as part of his 40kg allowance). Any suggestions of where to start, what to take and not bother with gratefully received.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:02 am
Just Joined

NessieNoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Packing-any logical suggestions of where to start?

Why not try an experiment and try and pack what you think and practice "living out of the suitcase." Then as you have 3 weeks left, as the days go by you will discover things you didn't pack but you need

I found that the Salvos and Good Sammys (Charity Shops) were great to keep me going while I was waiting for our container when I was sick of the sight of all my clothes!!!

Good luck with your move
Old Jul 10th 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure if you check with airline your OH bike can be sports excess. I know Emirates allowed my daughters boyfriend to take golf clubs back to Oz as excess and didnt have to pay anything and still had his full allowance, worth checking....
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

punoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GillyG
Ok, so I have 3 weeks left in France then I will return to the UK for a month before departing for Brisbane. I feel a bit overwhelmed as to where to start with my packing! Most of our household stuff is already boxed and ready to go but thinking of everything I will need for potentially 4 months (luckily all warmish weather) is daunting! My husband and myself will have 40kg each (he is taking his bicycle as part of his 40kg allowance). Any suggestions of where to start, what to take and not bother with gratefully received.
Hmm will u be renting a furnished place or not for first 4 months??
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Im sure if you check with airline your OH bike can be sports excess. I know Emirates allowed my daughters boyfriend to take golf clubs back to Oz as excess and didnt have to pay anything and still had his full allowance, worth checking....
We are flying with Singapore and they say we have 40kg each, if his bike weighed 40kg that would be it and then any extra weight would have to be paid for per kg. Bit rubbish really!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by punoo
Hmm will u be renting a furnished place or not for first 4 months??
We will be staying with my sister in law for the first couple of weeks and then hopefully find a place. Not sure if we will get un/furnished...we aren't taking any furniture so we will have to buy it eventually but if we rent it will just be a small flat and when we eventually buy it will be a house so furniture will need to be on a bigger scale!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

TheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant future

but thinking of everything I will need for potentially 4 months (luckily all warmish weather) is daunting!
Are you overwhelmed by everything you are trying to remember ? Write a list to help you organise your thoughts. You could then rank each item as essential or nice to have. From that you will get a clearer idea of what you are going to need verses what you would like. When the time comes the list will be a good aide memoire to packing.

I would not get too stressed. Remember, you are going to a first world city, so anything you cannot take, can be purchased there.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

punoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to all

We will be staying with my sister in law for the first couple of weeks and then hopefully find a place. Not sure if we will get un/furnished...we aren't taking any furniture so we will have to buy it eventually but if we rent it will just be a small flat and when we eventually buy it will be a house so furniture will need to be on a bigger scale!
Okay i will just write what is on top of my mind..later on will copy my list as we plan to buy a campervan and travel for 2-3 months than rent a place and wait for our stuff to arrive.We will have 2 kids with us than one 2 year old and one 3 months old )..so loads of kid stuff...which i guess u dont need to know.

Bedsheets
Towels
1-2 pans
Some warm cloths
kitchen towels
plugs/adaptor
first aid stuff
All important official pappers
summerish cloths )(NQLD)

As you will be buying your furniture than you dont need to wait for your stuff to arrive to rent an unfurnished apartment.
Sorry but most of things i have to take our kids related but will write more.
Like Theleester advised, make a list and you can buy the stuff you r missing there. Write your list and share here )
All the best!