Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Packing advice for shipping

Packing advice for shipping

Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Carey77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Packing advice for shipping

My husband and I are planning on emigrating to Australia next May. However in the interim I’m going to be putting all our belongings into storage as we’re going skiing for 5 months before hand.

I’ve not looked at shipping yet, but wondered are there strict guidelines around packing for shipping, as seeing as I’m packing up the house now I don’t want to have to re-pack again to adhere to rules in another few months!!

Are there any household items that I won’t be allowed to take. Equally so quite keen on the outdoors so same question for camping and fishing equipment.

Equally any pointers on shipping companies would be fab too.

Any advice gratefully received!

Many thanks
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Packing advice for shipping

Originally Posted by Carey77
My husband and I are planning on emigrating to Australia next May. However in the interim I’m going to be putting all our belongings into storage as we’re going skiing for 5 months before hand.

I’ve not looked at shipping yet, but wondered are there strict guidelines around packing for shipping, as seeing as I’m packing up the house now I don’t want to have to re-pack again to adhere to rules in another few months!!

Are there any household items that I won’t be allowed to take. Equally so quite keen on the outdoors so same question for camping and fishing equipment.

Many thanks
No wicker stuff any outdoor items need to be very very clean.
Whoever packs for you "should" advise on any items that won't get in.
Make sure household stuff has recently been dusted etc.
We used Crown and so far very pleased with them, but not arrived in Aus yet so hoping there are no issues during transport of our furniture etc . I believe we could have had 6 weeks free storage in UK if we'd needed it and wasn't much for extra weeks.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
No wicker stuff any outdoor items need to be very very clean.
Whoever packs for you "should" advise on any items that won't get in.
Make sure household stuff has recently been dusted etc.
We used Crown and so far very pleased with them, but not arrived in Aus yet so hoping there are no issues during transport of our furniture etc . I believe we could have had 6 weeks free storage in UK if we'd needed it and wasn't much for extra weeks.

Hi,

We will be going with crown as well and would be intrested in how it all goes once you recieve your stuff. Please post an update I am sure it will make good reading for all of us thats waiting to go.

Thanks and good luck.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Hi we used Crown - Twice,lol, and had no problems either time. Their packers were great at advising me what i could and couldnt take and all our stuff cleared customs without hassle.

Have a read through this link as it will tell you whats not allowed to brought into the country
http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis/travel/...alia/cant-take

Good Luck with everything and i hope this helps a little
Cal x
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks
Enjoy the Skiing!

Our furniture was in storage 9 months from when it was packed to when we found a house and called it in. Just make sure there is no dirt on your camping pegs etc, items generally like these will be opened and checked. We ended up with Britannia, Crown and Anglo Pacific and played them all off against each other, we ended up with (from memory) 4 or 8 weeks free storage and then got the remainder at half price.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Carey77 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great guys thanks for the help.

You end up with so many queries and questions it's really helpful having such a pool of 'real life' answers here
Old Nov 17th 2009, 11:38 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great guys thanks for the help.

You end up with so many queries and questions it's really helpful having such a pool of 'real life' answers here
lovely thread - nice reading. Let us know who you choose and what happens please.

Very green your going skiing for 5 months could I come too ? Have a fantastic time and best of luck.

Think i might get quotes from Crown this time too thanks people.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Lyn-Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, just wondering we have packed most of our stuff in cardboard boxes we have brought from a storage company and used bubble wrap, will the shippers want to repack everything or is that OK.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lyn-Dave
Hi, just wondering we have packed most of our stuff in cardboard boxes we have brought from a storage company and used bubble wrap, will the shippers want to repack everything or is that OK.
??? did you pay for them to pack it for you? normally on the info you get it says wether they'll send staff in to pack it?
Personally after last time i'd rather pack it myself lol not that they did anything bad but whatever was near them all got shoved in the same box :O I'd just ring them and say you're packing it all yourself