Packing

Old Feb 11th 2003, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough
Default Packing

Just wondering if anyone has got any advice on things to keep with you rather than send in the container. Has anyone packed anything and then needed it deperately?

Also the insurance. Basically if it's not itemised it's not insured so I guess we'll just have to insure the main things or we'd be here another year itemising everything! Any tips anyone?

Any tips on not attacking the other half who wants to take everything with him whilst we're filling black sack after black sack!!!!???

Loopy, going loopier by the hour!
Old Feb 11th 2003, 10:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Packing

Originally posted by Loopy
Just wondering if anyone has got any advice on things to keep with you rather than send in the container. Has anyone packed anything and then needed it deperately?

Also the insurance. Basically if it's not itemised it's not insured so I guess we'll just have to insure the main things or we'd be here another year itemising everything! Any tips anyone?

Any tips on not attacking the other half who wants to take everything with him whilst we're filling black sack after black sack!!!!???ents

Kids favourite toys, laptop computer, summer wetsuits, swimming cossies, important paperwork i.e. credit card and bank statements, car insurance documents, utility bills, copies of C.V., kids school reports, medical records.

everything else in the container, local paper or tip.

We're being rutheless, although my wife didn't want to take the "old rocking chair" I insisted. She's obviously never heard "give me a home among the gum trees"

Dan
Old Feb 11th 2003, 10:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Packing

Originally posted by Loopy

Any tips on not attacking the other half who wants to take everything with him whilst we're filling black sack after black sack!!!!???ents

Kids favourite toys, laptop computer, summer wetsuits, swimming cossies, important paperwork i.e. credit card and bank statements, car insurance documents, utility bills, copies of C.V., kids school reports, medical records.

everything else in the container, local paper or tip.

We're being rutheless, although my wife didn't want to take the "old rocking chair" I insisted. She's obviously never heard the song "give me a home among the gum trees"

Dan
Old Feb 11th 2003, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

For the last two weeks I have been packing the blatchpack boxes telling hubby that everything that goes into the spare room is for packing.
But last night he ask's ''Have I seen my motorbike helmet?'' so pointing at the sealed 40 plus boxes, I tell him ''yes in one of them ,'' so we spent a few hours opening all the boxes to find his sodding helmet.

Men, why do we bother?

Sue
Old Feb 11th 2003, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sue5665
For the last two weeks I have been packing the blatchpack boxes telling hubby that everything that goes into the spare room is for packing.
But last night he ask's ''Have I seen my motorbike helmet?'' so pointing at the sealed 40 plus boxes, I tell him ''yes in one of them ,'' so we spent a few hours opening all the boxes to find his sodding helmet.

Men, why do we bother?

Sue

Just a little point to note,

Be careful of excess baggage charges, think its about 16 quid for every kilo in excess.. A cheaper alternative is to send excess stuff as unaccompanied luggage, but you need to organise that a few days in advance of departing yourself.

Stuffing stuff into your shipment is by far the cheapest way to get it to Aus, so if you can wait for things, best to do so

Joe
Old Feb 11th 2003, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh me God, I've spent all day TODAY trying to find/buy 'crates' to pack up our stuff. What is a blatchpack box? I've been looking at those 'Curver' see-through plastic types in B&Q, Homebase, Macro, etc etc and they cost £5.00 each!! We'll need at least 30. Any ideas?

thanks very much
Shikse
Old Feb 11th 2003, 9:18 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

several of the 'movers sites' offer you a range of moving boxes - a pack of several different sizes for anything from £12 pack. plus sealing tape etc.
Old Feb 11th 2003, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

I would take things with you on the plane that you just couldn't replace. i.e. special photos, special jewelry, important paperwork etc. and things of sentimental value.

We had our wedding photos and videos in the bottom of our suitcase and we are glad we did as the box with my wedding dress in and various other sentimental things got nicked before it got on the container, out of 11 boxes they just had to take the one that had all the special stuff in!!

We put all our important paperwork in our suitcases too, birth certificates, marriage certificates, hubby's qualification certificates, insurance no claims bonus certificates, visa grant letter (just in case we lost our passports!) kids medical books, bank statements, and any other paperwork we thought we might need when we got there.

Mandy
Old Feb 12th 2003, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully

Originally posted by Shikse
Oh me God, I've spent all day TODAY trying to find/buy 'crates' to pack up our stuff. What is a blatchpack box? I've been looking at those 'Curver' see-through plastic types in B&Q, Homebase, Macro, etc etc and they cost £5.00 each!! We'll need at least 30. Any ideas?

thanks very much
Shikse
Hi Shikse,
The Blatchpack boxes come in 4 different sizes and are made of strong cardboard.
Are you shipping youself or using a company? If your using a company they will provide the boxes. Because I have still got the boxes that the computer and tv came from they told me to use these.
If you are shipping yourself go to your local supermarket and ask them to save boxes for you, my friend did this and the boxes were just as good as blatchpack, if not stronger.

Goog luck
Sue
Old Feb 12th 2003, 9:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Be warned though - although Sue's advice on using supermarket boxes is quite valid, at all costs avoid ones that have had fruit, veg or flowers in - boxes, and possibly contents, will not be allowed into Oz, and may be destroyed by customs on disease prevention grounds.
Old Feb 12th 2003, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention as Pollyanna said only use boxes that have had tinned goods, crisp e.t.c

Sue