Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

packers and packing stuff

packers and packing stuff

Old Jul 6th 2006, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default packers and packing stuff

I'm sorting through all our junk. the big problem for me is clothes especially as we have now found out that we can't have the 40kg. I've bagged up our winter clothes and some things that we want to take but can do without for the time being - what do the packers do with clothes I've put them in black bags for now - will they take them out and box them or will they just box them in the bags.

antiques - I have some really old and precious pieces that used to belong to my great nan and her mother before that. will the packers double/triple wrap them or is it worth leaving them here with family. I want to use separate insurance for these if I do decide to take them - do the packing company offer this?
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: packers and packing stuff

Originally Posted by DebraH
I'm sorting through all our junk. the big problem for me is clothes especially as we have now found out that we can't have the 40kg. I've bagged up our winter clothes and some things that we want to take but can do without for the time being - what do the packers do with clothes I've put them in black bags for now - will they take them out and box them or will they just box them in the bags.

antiques - I have some really old and precious pieces that used to belong to my great nan and her mother before that. will the packers double/triple wrap them or is it worth leaving them here with family. I want to use separate insurance for these if I do decide to take them - do the packing company offer this?
Hello Debrah, The packers almost all our packing. Clothes from wardrobes and into flat boxes. All our delicate stuff they double and triple wrapped and surrounded by scrunched up paper, Only 1 small ornament broken out of 66 packages We used Allied Pickford's and we couldn't fault them in anyway if anything lots of our stuff was over wrapped.
We left all our winter clothes behind big mistake, we got here in Perth 11 weeks ago and are in a rented property and at night it gets bloody cold. Don't think there is any insulation in the house, however it is winter and our daughter was in the sea last weekend, during the day it is pleasantly warm. We took the packers insurance not sure if you can take out separate insurance for individual items.
Good luck
Nicky & john
Old Jul 6th 2006, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Hello Debrah, The packers almost all our packing. Clothes from wardrobes and into flat boxes. All our delicate stuff they double and triple wrapped and surrounded by scrunched up paper, Only 1 small ornament broken out of 66 packages We used Allied Pickford's and we couldn't fault them in anyway if anything lots of our stuff was over wrapped.
We left all our winter clothes behind big mistake, we got here in Perth 11 weeks ago and are in a rented property and at night it gets bloody cold. Don't think there is any insulation in the house, however it is winter and our daughter was in the sea last weekend, during the day it is pleasantly warm. We took the packers insurance not sure if you can take out separate insurance for individual items.
Good luck
Nicky & john
thank you for that info
Deb
Old Jul 6th 2006, 6:03 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Why cant you get the 40kgs??
Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by toon williams
Why cant you get the 40kgs??
because we're on SIR and classed as temp residents - can you believe it. Oh is trying to get the extra but hasn't managed to speak with anyone at qantas as yet.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

because we're on SIR and classed as temp residents - can you believe it. Oh is trying to get the extra but hasn't managed to speak with anyone at qantas as yet.
I have spoken to the airlines and I can only get the 20kg as well. We are flying with Malaysian on a 457 so if anyone as any tips for us getting more, could you please let us know.

Debs
Old Jul 7th 2006, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser
I have spoken to the airlines and I can only get the 20kg as well. We are flying with Malaysian on a 457 so if anyone as any tips for us getting more, could you please let us know.

Debs
we flew malaysian on a 457 in jan-NO chance of any extra allowance no matter what we tried
Old Jul 7th 2006, 4:54 am
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Good luck
Nicky & john
We are using letton Percival for our insurance and anything over £500 pounds is listed as a seperate item, think you can still do this if its less than £500 aswell so you can list antiques that you want covered extra. Pete
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
we flew malaysian on a 457 in jan-NO chance of any extra allowance no matter what we tried
Very few airlines do it now, even for PR. Qantas I think will do it if you buy their migrant fare (at extra cost!)
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I've heard that if you fly via the USA you can get a bigger baggage allowance. I haven't looked into it so I'm sure if its right but it might be worth asking about if you haven't already booked your tickets.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete jackson
We are using letton Percival for our insurance and anything over £500 pounds is listed as a seperate item, think you can still do this if its less than £500 aswell so you can list antiques that you want covered extra. Pete
HI Pete

I want to use Letton Percival as well. YOu dont happen to have the number do you as I noticed you where in Scarbourgh and we are only in Sheffield not too far away.

thanks
NIcola
Old Jul 7th 2006, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just had a very nice man from John Masons to give us an quote, he reassured me that my antiques will be looked after (phew) and told me how they would be wrapped.