Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Packers..been and gone

Packers..been and gone

Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Default Packers..been and gone

Well this is it, all our worldly goods are on their way to Aus. How do we feel? I feel totally numb and still don't believe it's happening, hubby is as excited as he has ever been, (he is very laid back and doesn't get excited about much) Our sons are a little tense and have gone to stay with their dad for week but my poor 6 year old daughter doesn't really understand whats going on. We've tried to explain it to her but I picked her up from school on Tuesday and she started to cry, I sat her down and asked her to tell me what was wrong and she said she didn't know what was wrong she just felt all funny inside and wants to cry, so I said lets just cry then and she did for a whole hour. How did that make me feel? Like S**T!!

I wish we could just wake up and it's time to go as I think the waiting at this time is so hard for the kids. Anyone have any hints on how to get over this?

God am I a whinging pom already? or just a concerned mum?

Lindsey
Old Nov 4th 2004, 6:28 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Packers..been and gone

Originally Posted by lindseyden
Well this is it, all our worldly goods are on their way to Aus. How do we feel? I feel totally numb and still don't believe it's happening, hubby is as excited as he has ever been, (he is very laid back and doesn't get excited about much) Our sons are a little tense and have gone to stay with their dad for week but my poor 6 year old daughter doesn't really understand whats going on. We've tried to explain it to her but I picked her up from school on Tuesday and she started to cry, I sat her down and asked her to tell me what was wrong and she said she didn't know what was wrong she just felt all funny inside and wants to cry, so I said lets just cry then and she did for a whole hour. How did that make me feel? Like S**T!!

I wish we could just wake up and it's time to go as I think the waiting at this time is so hard for the kids. Anyone have any hints on how to get over this?

Lindsey
You sound like a whinging concerned Pom Mom to me (just joking)

Tell your daughter that her explanation sums up perfectly how many of us (both kids & grownies) feel when making this move - she's obviously a very perceptive young lady. Good for her!

Hope your move goes well & best of luck for the new life in Oz.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

JIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant future
Default Re: Packers..been and gone

Originally Posted by lindseyden

Lindsey
Gosh Lindsey it must be awful for you but what I would do is focus on all the good sides to the move. Explain to your daughter that although it is scary it is only because she does not know what it is going to be like out there, once she has been there a while and made loads of new friends she will feel comfortable and secure again and it will be a better life for her out there, lots of sunshine, swimming, loads of unusual animals that she will be fasinated with, school lessons on the beach (occassionally), swimming lessons in the sea etc. etc.etc, really paint her a nice picture and reassure her that it will be fantastic, even if in your heart you know it will be hard to start with. It is important that she has a positive outlook on the move.

I have been through this with my youngest (8 years) and it has worked for me. And before all you negative people accuse me of having rose tinted glasses on, I am saying this for the sake of the child, I am sure all adults have a realsitic view on the move and know it is not all going to be sunbathing, swimming and bbq's!!! It will be VERY difficult for the first few months but I think if you keep a positive attitude it can only help!

Best of luck, cant wait til our packers come!