Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pack now, ship later?

Pack now, ship later?

Old Jun 13th 2009, 10:05 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Question Pack now, ship later?

Anyone know if it's possible to pack a container and not ship it straight away, say maybe waiting 6 months/a year and then shipping it? Weird question, but I'm just curious if anyone has done this, and if so, what sort of extra cost would be involved for them (the shipping company) to hold onto it before shipping?!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default Re: Pack now, ship later?

We're doing this. Getting packed up in 2 weeks and it's going into storage (remember to factor your storage costs into your budget - though we negotiated some free storage) and it'll get shipped once we get our visas and have a date for leaving the UK. It doesn't actually go into the container until it's time to ship - it stays in their storage facility until then.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 10:15 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar
We're doing this. Getting packed up in 2 weeks and it's going into storage (remember to factor your storage costs into your budget - though we negotiated some free storage) and it'll get shipped once we get our visas and have a date for leaving the UK. It doesn't actually go into the container until it's time to ship - it stays in their storage facility until then.
Ok...how comes you're doing this? I meant pack it when I get my visa and leave the UK....then once I've been in Oz for a while and am sure I've done the right thing and find a house to put it all in, then get it shipped! Odd I know, but just something someone said to me recently made me think.....
Old Jun 13th 2009, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

We're doing it this way because we have no other option. Our house sold A LOT quicker than we expected so we're moving out before we have the visa. It can't be shipped until we have the visa, so it's all staying in storage until we're ready to go.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:10 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

We're doing it this way because we have no other option. Our house sold A LOT quicker than we expected so we're moving out before we have the visa. It can't be shipped until we have the visa, so it's all staying in storage until we're ready to go.
DOH! Silly me, seems logical! As of a fortnight, I'm off til September, so I intend to do a lot of throwing out over the summer and get the house finished (newbuild) then hopefully it'll go on the market next year....

Any word on your visa?
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

All our docs changed to "met" 10 days ago, so fingers crossed it shouldn't be too much longer. I'm gagging to book the flights and hand in my notice (we're planning on leaving Scotland at the end of August)

Have fun in the school holidays de-cluttering!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:32 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

All our docs changed to "met" 10 days ago, so fingers crossed it shouldn't be too much longer. I'm gagging to book the flights and hand in my notice (we're planning on leaving Scotland at the end of August)

Have fun in the school holidays de-cluttering!
Tee hee definitely, I'm such a horder!!! lol

Have PM'd you....
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Hi Jen

We did this, we put our stuff in storage in December and flew to Oz in January. We will be arranging shipping shortly hopefully, we packed with shipping in mind and our storage company will allow the shippers access when we are ready to move it out.

We didn't want to commit to shipping our belongings until we were sure we were staying, we have ended up paying extra for the storage but we think that it was worth it for the peace of mind.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:23 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Flutterby
Hi Jen

We did this, we put our stuff in storage in December and flew to Oz in January. We will be arranging shipping shortly hopefully, we packed with shipping in mind and our storage company will allow the shippers access when we are ready to move it out.

We didn't want to commit to shipping our belongings until we were sure we were staying, we have ended up paying extra for the storage but we think that it was worth it for the peace of mind.
If u don't mind me asking, could u pm me how much ur storage was just so I can get a general idea? I'd really appreciate it?! Ta
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:32 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Anyone else done this, jusssssssst in case things don't work out in Oz and they come home? Damage limitation kinda thing?! lol
Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Luke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant future

We're planning to do this as we're taking 6 months out to travel to Australia over land. So everything will go into storage for 6-9 months as we head off with nothing but backpacks. On arrival in Oz and find a place to live then our stuff should turn up!

Not looked into details/prices etc yet but when I briefly looked into it a while ago I found a couple of companies that could do it.