Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

P85 form, tax refund on leaving the UK

P85 form, tax refund on leaving the UK

Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

suggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to all
Default P85 form, tax refund on leaving the UK

Hi there,

I am in the middle of filling out the P85 form, tax refund on leaving the UK, as I am leaving the UK around August 09 time. Now I am finishing work in July, so no problems submitting my P45 with the P85 form. I have to questions though?

1) Half of my income to date this tax year 09 to 2010 is from savings interest; how do I claim some of this interest back as part of my tax overpayment to me leaving the UK date, due to my yearly personal allowance? Do I include a separate form?

2) At the bottom of the form its gives details for payment to you; I want the money to be paid directly into my account as I will not be living in the UK, so no UK address, and I will not have a permanent address abroad until I get settled. How do you direct the HMRC to pay your money into your account? Do you put your own name in the name of nominee box, and then give your bank details in the box below this option?

Thanks for any help.

Suggs
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: P85 form, tax refund on leaving the UK

Originally Posted by suggs
Hi there,

I am in the middle of filling out the P85 form, tax refund on leaving the UK, as I am leaving the UK around August 09 time. Now I am finishing work in July, so no problems submitting my P45 with the P85 form. I have to questions though?

1) Half of my income to date this tax year 09 to 2010 is from savings interest; how do I claim some of this interest back as part of my tax overpayment to me leaving the UK date, due to my yearly personal allowance? Do I include a separate form?

2) At the bottom of the form its gives details for payment to you; I want the money to be paid directly into my account as I will not be living in the UK, so no UK address, and I will not have a permanent address abroad until I get settled. How do you direct the HMRC to pay your money into your account? Do you put your own name in the name of nominee box, and then give your bank details in the box below this option?

Thanks for any help.

Suggs
Can't help with the other stuff, but yes, just put your name and bank details and the money will go into there.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

suggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can't help with the other stuff, but yes, just put your name and bank details and the money will go into there.
Thankyou very much Pollyana.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

jo n craig is a jewel in the roughjo n craig is a jewel in the roughjo n craig is a jewel in the roughjo n craig is a jewel in the rough

We too are moving in August so do we need to fill one in too?
Where do we get one from?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

The P85 form can be obtained from here.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85_p85s.htm

if you have any savings staying in this country then you also need ot fill out form R85 and send ot each bank where you hold an account. this stops th ebank taxing any interest.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/r85.pdf

Going to be doing it myself in August - Flying out in Spetember....

Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

jo n craig is a jewel in the roughjo n craig is a jewel in the roughjo n craig is a jewel in the roughjo n craig is a jewel in the rough

Aw... thanks for that will print it off and add it to my 'To Do' list!