Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

P85 form - Stuck on a question

P85 form - Stuck on a question

Old Jan 29th 2015, 1:16 am
Just Joined

AussieGuy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P85 form - Stuck on a question

I'm filling in the online P85 (I recently moved back to Australia permanently), and I'm not sure about two of the questions.

One of the pages on the online form is titled "Income you get from the UK after you leave" with 2 questions:
1. Will you get any income after you leave the UK?
(Income includes income from property, earnings you get from UK work, a one-off bonus payment, pensions, bank or building society interest or profits from stocks and shares)
2. Will you be working when you leave the UK?

I will not be receiving any income from the UK after I leave. However, I will be working in Australia. Should my answers be:
1. No
2. Yes

Selecting Yes for the second question opens up a lot more questions about the employment.

The form seems poorly designed given that the second question is under that section.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help. The form is available at the following url:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-tax-right-p85
Old Jan 29th 2015, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Default Re: P85 form - Stuck on a question

This is the page I'm asking about: http://imgur.com/S414Akz
Old Jan 30th 2015, 8:31 am
Just Joined

joedolce is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes your answers will be 1.no 2.yes. Then answer any further questions about your work in Austraoia
Old Jan 30th 2015, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. Why do they want to know about my employment details in Australia? I won't be receiving any income from the UK after leaving. Also, I'm non-UK resident for the 2014/2015 tax year so only my UK income is taxable.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 9:24 am
Just Joined

I'm not entirely sure but make sure you fill it in. I missed it out and had to wait another 2 months for them to process a new one.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Did you fill in the online form? Because I filled it in last week and entered my employment details but it didn't appear in the generated PDF when I clicked 'Preview'. However, it appears now since I filled it in again this week. Maybe they updated the code?
Old Jan 31st 2015, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Sorry for the delay. When I first filled it in, it was the regular paper one. However I missed out the employment details for where I was going and they told me I had to do it again. By this time it had moved online and annoyingly it no longer seemed to need to know what I was going to do in my new country. I argued the ridiculousness of this but got nowhere as it's HMRC and no one knows what the person sat next to them does.

The forms are sort of beta, which means they're being updated constantly. What I did was attach an A4 sheet with any further information they might need and that didn't print and that seemed to sort it as I got paid shortly after. If it doesn't print something you think it should, attach it on a separate sheet and explain why you're doing so.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 10:20 am
Just Joined

No problem. Thanks for the information. Were you non-UK resident in the year you left? Am I correct in saying that they will reject your P85 if you were UK resident in the tax year and then going to work overseas? As that income would need to be declared via a Self Assessment.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 10:31 am
Just Joined

I wasn't a UK resident in the tax year I was claiming from as I left the UK in Sept and was claiming for that tax year. There was no problem. You wouldn't do a self assessment unless you're self employed.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AussieGuy2
Thanks for the reply. Why do they want to know about my employment details in Australia? I won't be receiving any income from the UK after leaving. Also, I'm non-UK resident for the 2014/2015 tax year so only my UK income is taxable.
They are trying to establish your tax status for the whole year and ensure your tax affairs are closed off correctly. If you worked in UK and have just left then doesn't that mean you were UK resident for tax purposes, at least up to the point you left?