Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

P.O Box address accepted by Medicare & Drivers Licence?

P.O Box address accepted by Medicare & Drivers Licence?

Old Jun 29th 2005, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default P.O Box address accepted by Medicare & Drivers Licence?

Hi all, hope the day started off well!!!

My friend has offered to lend me his P.O Box address. Does Medicare and Queensland Transport accept it as an "address" ???

Thanks

fabie
Old Jun 29th 2005, 9:51 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: P.O Box address accepted by Medicare & Drivers Licence?

Originally Posted by swissfabs

My friend has offered to lend me his P.O Box address. Does Medicare and Queensland Transport accept it as an "address" ???

Thanks

fabie
Hi Fabie. Do a search on here, I'm sure it's been discussed before and I'm pretty sure the answer is that they don't accept a PO box for drivers licence, etc.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wmoore
Hi Fabie. Do a search on here, I'm sure it's been discussed before and I'm pretty sure the answer is that they don't accept a PO box for drivers licence, etc.
Thanks, couldnt find really relevant info though Lets see if someone experienced it!

fabie
Old Jun 29th 2005, 10:12 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, couldnt find really relevant info though Lets see if someone experienced it!

fabie
I found the following:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=box+licence

I only scanned them so I'm not sure if they answer your question directly but have a read
Old Jun 29th 2005, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wmoore
I found the following:

I only scanned them so I'm not sure if they answer your question directly but have a read
Thanks! Some of that info was very relevant.

I already have an Aussie bank account and at the moment the address is in Switzerland. I think it would be no problem redirecting it to my friends PO box. Otherwise i can just use some other friends address. That might be easier.

Thanks for agoing thru all this trouble for me :-)

fabie
Old Jun 29th 2005, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Corinna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

fabie

Hi fabie!

I am living in Townsville since 4 weeks. Medicare was no problem, they were ok with the address of the backpacker hostel (were I stayed at the time) and my PO box. For the driving licence you need a "proof of residential address. Since I rented a room they gave me a form with a part for the landlord to fill out and sign. I don´t know about car registration, haven´t bought a car yet, still trying to get my license (they want a NAATI translation of my german one) .

See ya
Corinna
Old Jun 30th 2005, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Corinna
Hi fabie!

I am living in Townsville since 4 weeks. Medicare was no problem, they were ok with the address of the backpacker hostel (were I stayed at the time) and my PO box. For the driving licence you need a "proof of residential address. Since I rented a room they gave me a form with a part for the landlord to fill out and sign. I don´t know about car registration, haven´t bought a car yet, still trying to get my license (they want a NAATI translation of my german one) .

See ya
Corinna
Thanks Corinna! A Naati translation? I am asking that cause mine is in French and I was hoping it would work with an official drivers translation which u can get here... did u try that?

fabie
Old Jul 1st 2005, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Corinna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Corinna! A Naati translation? I am asking that cause mine is in French and I was hoping it would work with an official drivers translation which u can get here... did u try that?

fabie

Hi Fabie!

Yes I tryed the international licence. I had one made in Germany just before I left, because I thought that would be enough for the transport department. It was not! Could have saved that money
But then, it depends on the person behind the desk. I was there one day and the lady said my german licence was fine (because it has all the pictures in the back you couldn´t translate anyway) and the next day when I went there with all my papers filled out, another person said I needed the translation. It´s not terribly expensive, so I decided to have it translated, going to pick it up on Monday and try again

Corinna
Old Jul 1st 2005, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

I read from the application form.
Evidence of Queensland Address
-Contract of purchase
-Australian Tax office Assesment
-Land tax evaluation
-Local government rates Notice

We registered for tax and used my brothers address, I used that to buy a car.
then when the ATO number arrived a week or 2 later I used that as proof of address. We were here for too short to submit any return (July).
You must get the licence within 3 months of settling. This is in the booklet and car insurer also told us.

being from RSA we have to do a learners and then a driving test. i guess the accident rate there does that for us.
Most other places just go with a filled in form and another licence
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Corinna
Hi Fabie!

Yes I tryed the international licence. I had one made in Germany just before I left, because I thought that would be enough for the transport department. It was not! Could have saved that money
But then, it depends on the person behind the desk. I was there one day and the lady said my german licence was fine (because it has all the pictures in the back you couldn´t translate anyway) and the next day when I went there with all my papers filled out, another person said I needed the translation. It´s not terribly expensive, so I decided to have it translated, going to pick it up on Monday and try again

Corinna
Woups, oh well thats a bummer. I will try with my translation (not even an international licence) and will try my best smile!

Otherwise i will get it translated. I read on the DIMIA website that as a foreigner you are allowed free translations. I can find the link if you want!!!
But as i read it might be too late already.

Could you buy a car on your German license? As well as insurance?

fabie