Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

p&d jobs in oz ?

p&d jobs in oz ?

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

jonpeds75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default p&d jobs in oz ?

hi my name is jon just wondering if there is a lot of work for painters and decorators ?,looking to move my young family out there depending on new sol of course any advice would be appreciated.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

shycouple2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: p&d jobs in oz ?

gold coast very sloooooooooow.

do you think sol will affect you then ?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jonpeds75
hi my name is jon just wondering if there is a lot of work for painters and decorators ?,looking to move my young family out there depending on new sol of course any advice would be appreciated.
cant be any slower than here its ridiculous at the mo ,just waiting to see what they will do about sol before i commit to an application want to make sure theres work first, hard to gage though seeing as it might take a couple of years to get there anyway but we really want to give it go we are pig sick of england.really hope they dont take my trade off the list any idea what they are going to chop ?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

try this lady, her husband is a painter in brisbane area, she will explain all

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=71755

not good is what i hear
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=71755
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

cant be any slower than here its ridiculous at the mo ,just waiting to see what they will do about sol before i commit to an application want to make sure theres work first, hard to gage though seeing as it might take a couple of years to get there anyway but we really want to give it go we are pig sick of england.really hope they dont take my trade off the list any idea what they are going to chop ?
thanks for your help.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We know someone who does the same as you and he is pretty busy. He is established though and has a good rep, which helps.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:38 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jon

I have sent you a PM.

The basics for any other P&D who would like to know on BE:

When we first arrived (18 months ago) there was nearly 30 jobs or so advertised weekly in the Courier Mail (wed job page) now some weeks there are none. My husband has had 10 jobs in this time - more than he has had his whole career. Bosses generally say that they have plenty of work, we can keep you going for ages etc, until you have helped them catch up and then its goodbye, generally with very short notice. Consequently the odd week at home unpaid every now and again.

If he is out of work, he gets the wed job paper at 5.30am and starts telephoning straight away. On a good day he can have a job lined up by 6am.

Many jobs advertised are Brisbane based which he tries to stay away from as its too far to travel from the Gold Coast, so the nearer Brisbane you live, the better the work prospects should be.

There are definitely some very large projects underway around Brisbane and the Gold Coast, including a brand new hospital, so in theory there should be lots of jobs happening soon.

Wages approx $27 an hour and ABN (self employed) approx $30 an hour.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

hi spellbound thanks for the info ,now just have to wait and see if they take p&d off the list first will be gutted if they do. know its all speculation but whats the feeling over there about whats to be taken off the list ?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Are things looking any better on painting jobs ?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:10 pm
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

He only had one day off last week! but he does have quite a few weeks work lined up from now onwards. Its definitely a contacts business and most of his work he manages to get from old contacts hes made. His latest work came from a bloke he started talking to in the Dulux shop.