Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ozzy terms we don't know??

Ozzy terms we don't know??

Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Talking Ozzy terms we don't know??

Helloh (G'day)

What other words do we need to know so that we can understand what people are saying? Just found out what Manchester was (and I always thought it was a town, not sure it would fit in a bed), a skivvy (fancy carrying a servant on your back?) and a bucket hat (Bill and Ben would be envious).

Specially thinking of my daughter starting School. It would be dead handy to be a bit aware of terms she'll hear before we arrive! Is there an Australian dictionary we can buy??????

Otherwise it'd be good to hear your experiences of being misunderstood/misunderstanding someone!

To start you off I can relay a conversation I had at a Hotel reception when my 12-year old was doing some drawing and lost her rubber. We were in Canada and innocently asked the receptionist if she would lend my daughter a rubber... the receptionist looked horrified that I would want to give my 12-year old a condom!! :scared: She really didn't have a clue what we meant until I remembered the word eraser!! If my daughter made this type of mistake on the first day at senior school I reckon she'd suffer!!

Bye (Hoo roo)!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:42 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ozzy terms we don't know??

Originally Posted by Seabird
Helloh (G'day)

What other words do we need to know so that we can understand what people are saying? Just found out what Manchester was (and I always thought it was a town, not sure it would fit in a bed), a skivvy (fancy carrying a servant on your back?) and a bucket hat (Bill and Ben would be envious).

Specially thinking of my daughter starting School. It would be dead handy to be a bit aware of terms she'll hear before we arrive! Is there an Australian dictionary we can buy??????

Otherwise it'd be good to hear your experiences of being misunderstood/misunderstanding someone!

To start you off I can relay a conversation I had at a Hotel reception when my 12-year old was doing some drawing and lost her rubber. We were in Canada and innocently asked the receptionist if she would lend my daughter a rubber... the receptionist looked horrified that I would want to give my 12-year old a condom!! :scared: She really didn't have a clue what we meant until I remembered the word eraser!! If my daughter made this type of mistake on the first day at senior school I reckon she'd suffer!!

Bye (Hoo roo)!
My favourite is Shark Biscuit = Someone learning to surf
R
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:58 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Helloh (G'day)

Bye (Hoo roo)!

But interestingly, my dh was working with an Ozzie a few years ago, and the guy needed a rubber (eraser/whatever you call it). He called out "anyone got a durex?" Apparently that's what a rubber is in Oz.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:59 pm

Also like "grumblebum" - a whinger.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:01 pm
BLC

We bought a Lonely Planet Australian Phrase book on our return to the UK so my family could understand my other half About 4 quid, maybe check out Amazon. It's actually very good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...399055-4846063

Don't say "Going out for a root around the shops", as root means getting it on with someone in an intimate way

B

Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

JoBoznOllie is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't ask any single people if they are going out on the pull or have pulled someone or you may get punched!

It means (or so I've heard) an act of a rather solitary nature that is normally done behind a closed bedroom door iykwim!! Apparently it nearly got a friend of mine into very hot water!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:22 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BLC
Don't say "Going out for a root around the shops", as root means getting it on with someone in an intimate way

B
So lets have a root around and see what we can find is not good then.ahhh crap that explains alot.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Trekrider will become famous soon enoughTrekrider will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
But interestingly, my dh was working with an Ozzie a few years ago, and the guy needed a rubber (eraser/whatever you call it). He called out "anyone got a durex?" Apparently that's what a rubber is in Oz.
Actually, Durex is the Australian equivalent of Selotape!

Trekrider

Last edited by Trekrider; Aug 8th 2005 at 9:27 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:24 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Trekrider

Trekrider
OUCH :scared:
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:49 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Try not to laugh when people talk of getting 'bashed'. In the UK its a childish term for hitting something, here it means serious physical assault. If you laugh, you may just get bashed
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Trekrider

Trekrider
Oops! Sorry! Knew it was something you find in an office.

Is everything related to sex?
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

and never ask anyone about their sprogs- it is asking about the result of the solitary activity outlined by JoBoznOllie (above).

And spunk refers to a gorgeous bloke- quite a different meaning to UK!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:26 pm
Back in Uk and loving it

Emzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Ozzy terms we don't know??

Helloh (G'day)

Bye (Hoo roo)!
Haven't got any words to add to the Aussie dictionary, but i woke up this morning feeling very homesick, then i read your post and it made me laugh out loud, so Thank You for cheering me up !
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:35 pm
Back in Uk and loving it

Emzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant future

Helloh (G'day)

Bye (Hoo roo)!
Sorry forgot to ask what is a skivvy in Aussie terms ?
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Emzee
Sorry forgot to ask what is a skivvy in Aussie terms ?
Hi Emzee

Glad to hear you're smiling again. A skivvy is apparently the Aussie term for a round-neck sweater (or jumper!!)... it was on the School uniform list I'd been sent. Had to look it up on the internet to check!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.