Wikiposts

Ozzy Jessops

Old Sep 25th 2003, 10:55 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Ozzy Jessops

Is there a jessops equivilent in oz? A chain of camera shops (photo stuff only, not like dick smiths), which has good coverage and an internet shop?

Ta.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 10:59 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ozzy Jessops

Originally posted by PeteY
Is there a jessops equivilent in oz? A chain of camera shops (photo stuff only, not like dick smiths), which has good coverage and an internet shop?

Ta.

Kodak shops seem quite widespread, not quite the same as Jessops though
Old Sep 25th 2003, 11:07 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Ta.
Teds Camera Store

www.teds.com.au

I do not know what they are like but they appear to be a similiar type of chain to Jessops. Dick Smiths (Duck Smuths in NZ) sell cameras but are not that great.

What are you after?
Old Sep 25th 2003, 7:42 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by bondipom
Teds Camera Store

www.teds.com.au

I do not know what they are like but they appear to be a similiar type of chain to Jessops. Dick Smiths (Duck Smuths in NZ) sell cameras but are not that great.

What are you after?
Thanks for the help guys, and the link Bondi.

I am not after anything in particular, i was just trying to compare prices of camera gear in oz and the UK, and thought it fairest if I compare like for like (i.e two largish camera store chains).

I am actually VERY surprised by the prices.

Teds cameras are ALL cheaper than anywhere i have seen in teh UK, which is the opposite to what i expected. The camera which i bought about 2 months ago is £45 cheaper than i paid through an
internet mail order company!

Its not just that one either; they are ALL cheaper !

Nice surprise i have to admit.

Pete.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 8:53 pm
tennisoz

Ta.
2 biggest are Ted's and Michael's - www.michaels.com.au for the latter, someone else gave Ted's. Try also Harvey Norman.

TennisOz

Old Sep 25th 2003, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Pete,

One link that I've kept is PowerInNumbers. It was the price of the X-Drive II that took me there (I didn't buy it by the way...not yet anyway). I did some research on the forums at dpreview.com and PowerInNumbers are highly recommended. It seems to be run by a guy called Vasa and he contributes to the forums at dpreview.

They don't have a large catalogue (for example they don't actually sell cameras!) but if you're after a particular accessory, it may be worth seeing if they stock it.

young_lad
Old Sep 25th 2003, 11:27 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by young_lad
Pete,

One link that I've kept is PowerInNumbers. It was the price of the X-Drive II that took me there (I didn't buy it by the way...not yet anyway). I did some research on the forums at dpreview.com and PowerInNumbers are highly recommended. It seems to be run by a guy called Vasa and he contributes to the forums at dpreview.

They don't have a large catalogue (for example they don't actually sell cameras!) but if you're after a particular accessory, it may be worth seeing if they stock it.

young_lad
Thanks for the extra links.

Young lad..... I have a mate who has the x-drive 2, very good, well made, but you are always left wondering if your pics have actually transfered. No information read out.

I went for the Nixvue DA2 a few weeks ago, and the build quality is to be honest pretty shoddy. However, it works VERY well, the facility to plug into a tv to review pics is good, and you can validate your pics everytime you upload. Great bit of kit.

Pete.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 12:45 am
tennisoz

I am not after anything in particular, i was just trying to compare prices of camera gear in oz and the UK, and thought it fairest if I compare like for like (i.e two largish camera store chains).

Teds cameras are ALL cheaper than anywhere i have seen in teh UK, which is the opposite to what i expected. The camera which i bought about 2 months ago is £45 cheaper than i paid through an

Pete.
Pete

Yes, I have found that most cameras and camcorders are cheaper in Oz than in the UK. The extra cost in the UK was even more marked in the good old days of nearly $3 per £1. I was pricing camcorders on a recent trip to Oz and found that they were about the same price in Ted's and Michael's as Singapore Duty Free (like for like)! A friend travelling back bought a digital camera in Singapore Duty Free only to discover Jessops, Wilkinson's etc had the same price when he got back!

TennisOz

P.S. if you are buying in the UK empiredirect.co.uk are much cheaper than Jessops etc like for like.

Old Sep 26th 2003, 4:35 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Pete.
I'd expect them to be cheaper as wages are comparably less and internationally available goods are priced to sell at top dollar for the individual country. When we're all there earning dollars instead of converting pounds to dollars they may seem dearer. Don't want to start up a whole new argument on the subject but I've been comparing prices by working on the principle that if something is 70% of the price in the U.K then it's about the same price in terms of % of wages
Sean
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:52 am
A Male Member

Originally posted by cresta57
I'd expect them to be cheaper as wages are comparably less and internationally available goods are priced to sell at top dollar for the individual country. When we're all there earning dollars instead of converting pounds to dollars they may seem dearer. Don't want to start up a whole new argument on the subject but I've been comparing prices by working on the principle that if something is 70% of the price in the U.K then it's about the same price in terms of % of wages
Sean
Now....you are perfectly correct in the sense of working out whether you can afford somthing or not.....

I was simply working out if its cheaper to buy things photographic here or there. I.E. If i want somthing, it does'nt matter if its a larger or smaller % of my wages, its still cheaper over there !

What you suggest works better, in my opinion, for items you purchase regularly, such as food. Things you only buy once in a blue moon are best bought where they are cheaper in real terms not relative.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:55 am

Originally posted by cresta57
Sean
I agree with you for most goods however if you have the chance to buy in either country it is worth comparing especially for big ticket items like cameras.

I am going on holiday to the UK in a few weeks and I may also be buying a digital camera and possibly one of the new Nokias.

For day to day shopping, insurance and other non transferrables the comparisons are a mentality worth getting out of. Who cares if it is cheap if the bank account is empty.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 11:33 am
A Male Member

Originally posted by bondipom
I agree with you for most goods however if you have the chance to buy in either country it is worth comparing especially for big ticket items like cameras.

I am going on holiday to the UK in a few weeks and I may also be buying a digital camera and possibly one of the new Nokias.

For day to day shopping, insurance and other non transferrables the comparisons are a mentality worth getting out of. Who cares if it is cheap if the bank account is empty.
Nooo not a nokia.

Get that fancy new Sony one. P800 or somthing...not sure. Square, but it has everything on it. Sex on a stick.

I need a new phone. Dropped my beloved seimens waterproof 80 metres down a cliff face climbing. Would you believe that it still works occasionally? Not often lol, but it fared damned well considering what it went through.

Want to get a bluetooth job next. Be great with my PC.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 11:43 am

Nooo not a nokia.

Get that fancy new Sony one. P800 or somthing...not sure. Square, but it has everything on it. Sex on a stick.

I need a new phone. Dropped my beloved seimens waterproof 80 metres down a cliff face climbing. Would you believe that it still works occasionally? Not often lol, but it fared damned well considering what it went through.

Want to get a bluetooth job next. Be great with my PC.
I was either thinking of getting the 6620 and trying my hand at creating some Java apps or the ngage for some fun. I will see what the prices are like next month.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 7:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting thread. I've just checked, the Canon Ixus 400 that I bought for 350GBP at www.amazon.co.uk (with a free 64Mb CF card, the same camera in Dixons is 440GBP) is AU$1000 at www.michaels.com.au, which is about 420GBP. So it pays to shop around & the internet is usually (but not always) the cheapest.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:22 pm

Originally posted by Amazulu
This is an interesting thread. I've just checked, the Canon Ixus 400 that I bought for 350GBP at www.amazon.co.uk (with a free 64Mb CF card, the same camera in Dixons is 440GBP) is AU$1000 at www.michaels.com.au, which is about 420GBP. So it pays to shop around & the internet is usually (but not always) the cheapest.
I have seen the Ixus 400 for $800. You can always haggle here. You won't get much off the price but you can get more extras bundled in.

Teds is not an internet discounter. A work colleague has also used
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.co...ategory6_1.htm

Bing Lee which is a Dixons equivalent has a slogan which is
"everything is negotiable".