Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ozzies -One way conversation ?

Ozzies -One way conversation ?

Old Aug 17th 2010, 7:42 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ozzies -One way conversation ?

Gday Yall

Now, is it me...or are do you find conversations with everyday ozzies one way ?

If you try and start a conversation, its you who has to do all the open ended questions, no interest back in yourself ?

Pleasant maaner and manners, but no interest in you ?

Why should they be bothered getting to know poms when they have their own circle?

Poor communication skills ?

Sigh
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:00 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ozzies -One way conversation ?

Nope. Lots ask me where I'm from and other stuff.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

mrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lancastrian48
Gday Yall

If you try and start a conversation, its you who has to do all the open ended questions, no interest back in yourself ?

Why should they be bothered getting to know poms when they have their own circle?

Sigh
yes we have found them to be like that too?maybe it's just a British thing?it seems really rude though yes!
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Gday Yall

Sigh
Not at all. You must be mixing with the wrong people. May have found that once or twice but plenty of people I've met and had conversations with show an interest in me, my life, why I'm here, what I think, etc etc There are idiots everywhere though, not just Australians. Believe it or not some Brits/Americans/Chinese/French people can be like that. Funny old world.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

fisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nice

I dont think it is just ozzies.

Im am still in Scotland (moving in a few weeks) and I live in a small village and some people are like that! ME ME ME.

I am the type of person that is genuinely interested in people but get nothing back. Conversations and friendships are two way so that is why I have slowly distanced myself, over the last few years, from these type of people as I just find them draining and dont really enhance my life in any way shape or form.

This may sound harsh but as I have got older (and wiser??) I have come to realise that life is to short to waste on anything or anybody that I don't really want around.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, very much so and quite at odds with the folk I meet in UK. IMHO they are only out for what they can get out of you for the most part.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:02 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't either, on the whole. The odd arsehole but you come across those everywhere. Just move along until you find someone you click with.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:06 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all.

When I moved house, my aussie friends all rallied round to help, when Mr PP was in hospital and not being paid at work, one offered to pay our mortage if we needed it and when I was in hospital from a spider bite, one of my aussie friends drove to the hospital to get me and then drive nearly an hour out of her way to take me home.

Out for what they can get? No way.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Found the opposite.

Couldn't pop out for a quick beer run, without having to explain my life story to every person behind a checkout.

Made a nice change, compared to the UK where all you get is grunts from the mouth breathers serving you.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:21 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

thats like saying all British are thugs

like anywhere, there's good and bad, smart and stupid people. Depends who you mix with
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Gday Yall

Sigh
To a certain extent, I do agree (and I can only judge this by people I have met in SA).
Some Aussies do come across as quite self absorbed and not very interested in other people who may be a bit different to them.
The ones I click with best are usually people who have lived or travelled overseas a bit.
Maybe it is a regional thing.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Gday Yall

Sigh
Nope. I find Australians just as interested in me as I am in them.

What I did find though was when I was visiting England recently not a single person talked to me even when I tried to initiate conversation. Guess that means that all the English have poor communication skills? Or maybe they thought why should they be bothered getting to know Canadians when they have their own circle?

And if you take an honest look at yourself, when you still lived in UK how many immigrants did you take the time to get to know? Really get to know where you were interested in their lives?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:45 am
Just Joined

FruitBatty is an unknown quantity at this point

Well on our two visits so far we have found people to be very interested in who we are, where we come from and when are we coming over!

Most seemed to know somebody from where we live, or at least know somebody whose next door neighbours second cousin, twice removed had a dog whose pedigree can go back as far as Leeds.

We found this friendliness engaging. Sure you might get the odd funny one. But then again, yesterday in my quiet little village here in the UK I was shouted at by a cyclist who was cycling on the pavement because my car was waiting at a junction and he had to cycle around the back! '****ing kn*b.' Charming.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Gday Yall

Sigh
Not been my experience. I have been here for five or six weeks (I forget) and have been working since more or less the beginning. The Australians I work with could not have been more friendly. Everybody introduces themselves to me, be it in the lift or by the coffee machine and everyone has shown great interest and could not have been kinder or more welcoming.

I have also always found London quite a friendly place, when starting a new job that is, but my current place probably pips it. The least friendly place I have everf lived or worked in is Bermuda.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:02 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Gday Yall

Sigh
Nope, not found this.

It must be you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.