Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ozzies are just as bad as us

Ozzies are just as bad as us

Old Mar 19th 2006, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

bobstevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ozzies are just as bad as us

After 6 job offers and all promised to sponsor me on a 457 visa, all have let me down or dragged their heals. I thought it was just us brits that said one thing and did another, when it came to them sending the all important letter they strangely started taking days or weeks to answer emails or return phone calls. It has almost got to the point of saying F**k it.

I am an Air Conditioning Engineer, self employed here in the UK. the problem i have is going to Oz ( Brisbane ) i have to spend weeks re sitting exams etc. no matter what the TRA say I still have to sit these exams, thus no work for a few months. If I can get a job with a big enough company then I can work under their license. which is why I though of getting a 457 visa and getting a job now.

so...

I am now thinking going down the PR visa route then when I get out there I can at least get any job and earn whilst resiting my exams.

My question is this

If I want to apply on my own, not through an agent, and mess up my application or don't tick the right box, does this pi*s them off and put me to the back of the que, my point is money is a bit tight at the minute and don't want to be paying an agent.

Any advise is most appreciated.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 8:36 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ozzies are just as bad as us

Originally Posted by bobstevens
After 6 job offers and all promised to sponsor me on a 457 visa, all have let me down or dragged their heals. I thought it was just us brits that said one thing and did another, when it came to them sending the all important letter they strangely started taking days or weeks to answer emails or return phone calls. It has almost got to the point of saying F**k it.

I am an Air Conditioning Engineer, self employed here in the UK. the problem i have is going to Oz ( Brisbane ) i have to spend weeks re sitting exams etc. no matter what the TRA say I still have to sit these exams, thus no work for a few months. If I can get a job with a big enough company then I can work under their license. which is why I though of getting a 457 visa and getting a job now.

so...

I am now thinking going down the PR visa route then when I get out there I can at least get any job and earn whilst resiting my exams.

My question is this

If I want to apply on my own, not through an agent, and mess up my application or don't tick the right box, does this pi*s them off and put me to the back of the que, my point is money is a bit tight at the minute and don't want to be paying an agent.

I would check out the following website and if you have any problems, ie need clarification about a question they can be contacted by email.

I would think it should be relatively straight forward (as many people don't use migration agents) but you never can tell I guess.

Anyway here's the site.

www.dimia.gov.au

Good luck
Old Mar 19th 2006, 8:45 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

so...

My question is this

Sorry to hear your dilemma. I don't wonder you are frustrated.

Living in Aus is fantastic however the job market leaves a lot to be desired

As to your question re the possibility of "messing up" the application:
I suspect your case officer will mark what's on the application and will seek further clarification if something is not clear, however how quickly they do this and how many times before they get pissed off is probably down to the individual concerned. A good agent may "point" you in the direction of what's required thereby providing the right info from the offset however lots of people do their own applications and manage to get through. The key is probably to read and re-read and make sure it's all covered. Also do lots of research and speak to others within your line of work to estimate what's required to evidence your skills.

Good luck with the application and don't despair re the job front. It's all part and parcel of the application process and living here.

Separates the the men from the boys...so to speak
Old Mar 19th 2006, 9:01 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

After 6 job offers and all promised to sponsor me on a 457 visa, all have let me down or dragged their heals.
One of the jobs I got offered took about 5 weeks from interview to offer. The job I actually took only took 6 days from hearing about it to starting
Old Mar 19th 2006, 1:09 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

I am an Air Conditioning Engineer, self employed here in the UK. the problem i have is going to Oz ( Brisbane ) i have to spend weeks re sitting exams etc. no matter what the TRA say I still have to sit these exams, thus no work for a few months.
Why do you need to retake exams in Australia? is this the cfc and restricted electrical license? you need over there.

Jon
Old Mar 19th 2006, 1:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived in Australia on a Sunday.
Had four interviews on the Wednesday. Got offered all of them.
Started work the following Monday.

You really need to be over here to get a decent job offer.

Good luck.